5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Previous Limited owner, now Tacoma owner, regret, now shopping for new Ram

AllenRam

Reaction score
Hi all. I owned a 2014 Limited before selling it to a friend of mine two years ago who needed a good truck. Downsized to a Tacoma. At least it easily fits into my garage. Now yearning for a Hemi again and looking at Rams.

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Tough to go backwards in size, especially from a spaciously dec'd out Limited. Hope you get a good deal on your new Ram :)

Snofire

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums and back to the RAM hunt. If your looking to order figure easily 7 weeks but could be a lot longer with the silicon shortage and now the seat shortage going on.

DeepH2ODriller

Reaction score
I know the feeling. I had a 2015 Tundra and then downsized to a 2017 Tacoma. Loved the Tacoma look, just not V6 and interior size. I ended up trading it in on Ram 1500.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ramgoose

Reaction score
Curious about the Tacoma’s other negatives if any especially drivers seat??? I love my Rebel but the Tacoma TRD pro smaller size seems like it would have advantages on the trail and city parking.
Thanks 🙏

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Ramgoose makes some good points. My only regret on the RAM is that it doesn’t fit well in a standard garage, and won’t fit into the next home we are getting. It’s dumb that builders won’t extend the garages to fit a CC shortbed truck but it’s not important to them.

If there had been a midsize truck that rode as well as the 5th gen RAM I’d have pushed for that, just to get it too fit!

Ramgoose

Reaction score
Ramgoose makes some good points. My only regret on the RAM is that it doesn’t fit well in a standard garage, and won’t fit into the next home we are getting. It’s dumb that builders won’t extend the garages to fit a CC shortbed truck but it’s not important to them.

If there had been a midsize truck that rode as well as the 5th gen RAM I’d have pushed for that, just to get it too fit!
I can park my Rebel in the garage at an angle if my wife’s Jeep isn’t in there but it blocks me from opening the beer 🍺 fridge ! 1615389282242.png 1615389282242.png

DeepH2ODriller

Reaction score
Curious about the Tacoma’s other negatives if any especially drivers seat??? I love my Rebel but the Tacoma TRD pro smaller size seems like it would have advantages on the trail and city parking.
Thanks

If you’re single, and mainly use the truck around town, you’ll love the truck!! The V6 is ok, but gets horrible gas mileage. It was my primary vehicle and wasn’t good on road trips with children in back. Entune is outdated, too.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
I’m going to try and diagonal park the Ltd when we get the new house but I still doubt it will work, 19’6” ain’t gonna’ cut it.
Besides, asking her to diagonal park is just asking for trouble.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
If you’re single, and mainly use the truck around town, you’ll love the truck!! The V6 is ok, but gets horrible gas mileage. It was my primary vehicle and wasn’t good on road trips with children in back. Entune is outdated, too.

What do you consider horrible gas mileage? (Given that some peeps here say all they get is 12-13 with their Rebel/hemi’s.)

AdamChandler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You guys are lucky to even have garages. I’d love a garage. I do have a walk-out basement that I store my motorcycles in during Winter but that’s it.

Vaughn

Reaction score
I traded in a ZR2 for my Rebel. I understand completely where you're coming from.

thewdb

Reaction score
I sold my 2016 Tacoma to move into the RAM. Had I gotten the 5’7” bed, I would have been able to fit both the car and truck into the garage... but I went with the 6’4” bed, which makes the combination of the length of the car and the truck just a few inches too big for the garage.

I never had a problem with the Tacoma. Not one in 5 years.

My gas mileage in the RAM is a bit less... but with the bigger engine and 3.92 I’m not surprised at all. Impressed with the RAM so far.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AllenRam

Reaction score
I really like my Tacoma, but the V6 is pretty underpowered and not very responsive to the throttle unless you press it all the way to the floor. I also wanted an option to turn on the headlights automatically, but with that, I had to get the sunroof. I ordered one without driving one with a sunroof. Big mistake. I'm 6'0" and my head almost touches the top of the cab. If you're 6' or taller, don't get a sunroof in a Tacoma.

I bought a Tacoma for long term reliability. My Tacoma is in the shop again for the third time for the same problem. It has the dreaded "Brake Override Malfunction" error which basically kills the throttle without warning. The dealer has replaced the throttle body twice on it. Now they are replacing the main wiring harness and the ECU. They said it will take 2-3 weeks to get in a ECU. :-(

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Sheesh. Oh well, even the mighty toyo has issues. Anything mass produced will.

Users who are viewing this thread