5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Preventive Maintenance Tips

NorthernArea51

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is on page 293 of the owner's manual. Salesman was unaware of it's existence and I had a hard time finding the information. I have to question how important FCA feels the break in period is as I feel it would be in a more visible location. I'm aware of break in periods based on previous new ownership experience. Seems to be a controversial topic these days. I followed the break in as per the manual and all is good with mpg and oil consumption.

ENGINE BREAK-IN RECOMMENDATIONS A long break-in period is not required for the engine and drivetrain (transmission and axle) in your vehicle. Drive moderately during the first 300 miles (500 km). After the initial 60 miles (100 km), speeds up to 50 or 55 mph (80 or 90 km/h) are desirable. While cruising, brief full-throttle acceleration within the limits of local traffic laws contributes to a good break-in. Wide-open throttle acceleration in low gear can be detrimental and should be avoided

Why this was buried in the manual baffles me too. I’m POSITIVE my salesman had no idea it was there either - when I asked him what type of oil the truck comes with from the factory his answer was “Ya know, regular oil...”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
This is on page 293 of the owner's manual. Salesman was unaware of it's existence and I had a hard time finding the information. I have to question how important FCA feels the break in period is as I feel it would be in a more visible location. I'm aware of break in periods based on previous new ownership experience. Seems to be a controversial topic these days. I followed the break in as per the manual and all is good with mpg and oil consumption.

ENGINE BREAK-IN RECOMMENDATIONS A long break-in period is not required for the engine and drivetrain (transmission and axle) in your vehicle. Drive moderately during the first 300 miles (500 km). After the initial 60 miles (100 km), speeds up to 50 or 55 mph (80 or 90 km/h) are desirable. While cruising, brief full-throttle acceleration within the limits of local traffic laws contributes to a good break-in. Wide-open throttle acceleration in low gear can be detrimental and should be avoided
I'm glad you posted this because it jar'd my memory a little (hate getting older). My dealership traded with another dealership to get my Laramie, which was almost 300 miles away. So the break-in period was basically over when I took delivery. I was able to speak with the employee who drove my truck over from the other dealership, and he assured me he followed the recommended break-in period on the drive. He said he occasionally shifted down to 6th and 7th while on the freeway, and avoided WOT acceleration. It's possible he was lying to me, but I tend to believe him. If he would have been a younger guy I'd be a little less inclined to believe him, but he's a retired fireman that the dealership hires for this specific purpose. I would have preferred to have driven it myself, but I wasn't able to do that.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Why this was buried in the manual baffles me too. I’m POSITIVE my salesman had no idea it was there either - when I asked him what type of oil the truck comes with from the factory his answer was “Ya know, regular oil...”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I believe the same wording is in the manual for my 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT as far as break in goes, which is a V8 pre hemi. Yeah, the salesman should have more knowledge as far as break in and oil, at least he wasn't the mechanic.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I believe the same wording is in the manual for my 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT as far as break in goes, which is a V8 pre hemi. Yeah, the salesman should have more knowledge as far as break in and oil, at least he wasn't the mechanic.
It always surprises me at just how little the sales people know about what they're selling. It's pretty sad to me when I'm explaining how things work on a truck they're trying to sell me LOL.

Mr.G

Reaction score
What part of the Country do you live in Mr. G? Is there any downside to this in a dry dusty climate as opposed to a snowy northern climate?
I do live in the northeast. A dry dusty climate should have no effect on the application of never seize.

Jako

Reaction score
It always surprises me at just how little the sales people know about what they're selling. It's pretty sad to me when I'm explaining how things work on a truck they're trying to sell me LOL.
I learned a lot from this forum which the salesman did not know about and put me at an advantage. Luckily I had read the forum and avoided the tow package among other things. I try to be a knowledgeable consumer but I guess there are enough impulse buyers that the bottom line is the monthly payment. Definite advantage to the salesman.

Rambunktious

Reaction score

This is on page 150 of the owner's manual for my 2021 Longhorn. The folks at the dealership didn't even bring up the topic of engine break in, but I've been babying it somewhat since I got it, since I don't want to stress it. It has just under 150 miles since I picked it up on Saturday.

Jako

Reaction score
This is on page 150 of the owner's manual for my 2021 Longhorn. The folks at the dealership didn't even bring up the topic of engine break in, but I've been babying it somewhat since I got it, since I don't want to stress it. It has just under 150 miles since I picked it up on Saturday.
I have purchased several motorcycles and there is some controversy as far as break in, some buy into some don't. Read the Ram's break in advice carefully. "While cruising, brief full-throttle acceleration within the limits of local traffic laws contributes to a good break-in. Wide-open throttle acceleration in low gear can be detrimental and should be avoided."
Babying it may not be the best, you have to let the "baby" grow up a little.

Rambunktious

Reaction score
I have purchased several motorcycles and there is some controversy as far as break in, some buy into some don't. Read the Ram's break in advice carefully. "While cruising, brief full-throttle acceleration within the limits of local traffic laws contributes to a good break-in. Wide-open throttle acceleration in low gear can be detrimental and should be avoided."
Babying it may not have been the best choice of phrase. I just meant that I haven't "opened her up" yet. I've been driving her like a truck, but not like a racing truck. I'll wait to go WOT after the 300 mile break-in period is over. :D

Granite2WD

Reaction score
There are definitely multiple opinions about breaking a modern engine in. I think more people believe you should drive it hard than baby it, but I think lawyers would never sign off on a "drive it like you stole it" break-in procedure.

At the end of the day though, with modern engines, I think you are looking at diminishing returns on different break-in procedures. I think this is one reason why dealers don't stress out about informing customers about break-in procedures. That and dealers only care about money, not you or your car.

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Changed my oil early as I have done in all my new vehicles. I feel comfortable getting any of the early break-in material out as soon as possible. Never had an issue.

Users who are viewing this thread