5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Prevent center console damage from duty/carry gun?

SilasB

Reaction score
Ever see any kind of 'shield' or other product to prevent damage to the center console from your duty or daily carry gun (driver's right side)? After a couple of years I'm getting irritated at the damage. Tore the rubber boot off the seat belt and the plastic to the center console is getting marked up. The door seal is showing abrasion as well.

Searched around the interwebs but haven't found anything yet.

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You could try something like this (link below) and cut to size.

RERIVER 6" X 8" X 1/5" Thick Heavy Duty Felt Sheets - 8 Sheets (Black) https://a.co/d/cbAXx4z

I store mine here while driving but as you can see there is still some scratches from the holster.
PXL_20210209_183415623.jpg

Last edited:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Could always remove it from holster when you get in the truck. Of course if you are using a kydex holster, probably wouldn't make any difference, unless you take off holster as well.

SilasB

Reaction score
You could try something like this and cut to size.

RERIVER 6" X 8" X 1/5" Thick Heavy Duty Felt Sheets - 8 Sheets (Black) https://a.co/d/cbAXx4z

That might work and wouldn't look too out of place if trimmed neatly.

Could always remove it from holster when you get in the truck.

Generally, we try to minimize actions like that. Repetition can lead to complacency. Safest place for it to be is in the holster.

Thanks for the ideas.

Chris3058

Ram Guru
Reaction score
We have tried all kinds of stuff for this issue. It all ends up the same. One thing that sort of work was similar to the felt mentioned above - but it was some sort of leather / suede material. Holsters and guns destroy vehicle seats and console sides.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That might work and wouldn't look too out of place if trimmed neatly.

Generally, we try to minimize actions like that. Repetition can lead to complacency. Safest place for it to be is in the holster.

Thanks for the ideas.
I don't carry a lot. When I do, I have a IWB holster. Can't say I've noticed it rubbing the center console, but for personal comfort, and less printing, I carry somewhere between 4 and 5-oclock position.

KPeak

Reaction score
I bought an overhead rack for the B pillar off Amazon and it’s been great for my truck gun, it’s square tubing so customizing placement and attachments is pretty easy. I’ve got a keyed trigger lock mounted to hold it up, might be overkill for a pistol but it’s out of the way, rigid as hell, and not too noticeable if you don’t have a sunroof. CFA0859D-CE34-4C9F-87A6-7274AABB2A34.jpeg

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I bought an overhead rack for the B pillar off Amazon and it’s been great for my truck gun, it’s square tubing so customizing placement and attachments is pretty easy. I’ve got a keyed trigger lock mounted to hold it up, might be overkill for a pistol but it’s out of the way, rigid as hell, and not too noticeable if you don’t have a sunroof. View attachment 155588
That's cool. Never seen anything like that.

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was removing my IWB appendix carry (Alien Gear Shapeshifter) and clipping it to the bottom rubber of the wireless cell charging station. While that worked well, it was a royal pain to get the holster unclipped off of. I have since switched to a 3-4 o'clock IWB carry position and, honestly, never have to take it off. For long trips I'll probably stick it back in the console.. but I've been on hour long rides since and not bothered to remove it.

If I have to disarm for certain locations, or unfriendly states, I have the Lock'er down floor safe that I've lined with felt to keep **** from rattling around.

SilasB

Reaction score
Interesting solutions to be sure. Some I'd be concerned about hard breaking or impact.

I have a great carry system and altering it just to drive isn't something I want to do.

I'll attempt to mitigate further damage, but it is what it is. 🤷‍♂️ Rest of the vehicle looks like the day it rolled off the lot which makes this minor 'damage' irritate me more than it should. I guess I should tear up the rest of the vehicle to match!

Users who are viewing this thread