5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Prevalence of "Knock Off" (Counterfeit) OE Parts?

Grouper

Reaction score
Have you guys encountered many knock-off OE parts? I just bought this black ram tailgate emblem on eBay for $30. The description claims it's an OE part and the pictures show what appears to be an OE label. Thirty dollars is about half of what it sells for from Mopar parts retailers, so it doesn't seem likely to be genuine.

Curiosity got he best of me so I gambled $30 but as soon as I saw the sellers information listed in the PayPal transaction, I don't think there's much chance this is a legitimate part:

PayPal.jpg

iLikeRamsnow

Reaction score
I haven’t put this on yet, it’s Christmas present from my wife to me, but the label, markings, look pretty legit - but i dunno for sure , who really can

1c56f986210affbcee43aed33d23e56a.jpg

8cf9ed848ecd5febef265d60eda71f80.jpg

Is this the same thing you ordered?

Edit one: looked at your link, looks like the seller is the exact same.

2020 Ram 1500 Laramie 5.7 eTorque

iLikeRamsnow

Reaction score
Yeah I mean I can take some more pictures if you want, but it looks okay to me. Guys feedback is alright - that’s what won me over.

2020 Ram 1500 Laramie 5.7 eTorque

Grouper

Reaction score
The part arrived. It's either a legit Mopar part or someone is doing a very good job of creating fake Mopar parts and labels.

I don't understand how this eBay seller is selling these for roughly half of what other eBay sellers or the local/online dealership parts department charge but...

Tailgate RAM 1.jpg

Tailgate RAM 2.jpg

Tailgate RAM 3.jpg

Last edited:

Reverse

Reaction score
There is at least a 100% markup between FCA and the dealer, and then there's the markup between dealer and you. These EBay sellers cut out two middlemen.

I ordered foglights for our 2014 Big Horn last year (because the OEM lights fail after a few years) and the lights from Amazon were one third the price, and of better design so they won't fail like the originals.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
There is at least a 100% markup between FCA and the dealer, and then there's the markup between dealer and you. These EBay sellers cut out two middlemen.

I ordered foglights for our 2014 Big Horn last year (because the OEM lights fail after a few years) and the lights from Amazon were one third the price, and of better design so they won't fail like the originals.
Engine block heater at dealer $145, online $97 or 98. Mark up?

puba08

Reaction score
Does it look good? That’s all I would care about. If it fades then buy another. If not, your ahead of the game.
Personally I would never pay for an actual Mopar emblem. Ridiculous how much they charge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

DeepH2ODriller

Reaction score
I was just pondering the same question. I ordered a set of black emblems for my 2021 Laramie, from Ebay for $100. Priced individually from Mopar it was way over this price. I received them today. They seem good quality. I will compare them to chrome ones I take off of my truck.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
China counterfeits absolutely everything these days. Plastic stuff is super easy. They are making knock off spark plugs and other technical items.

photo7.jpg

An emblem isn't going to wreck your car, but beware of any other cheap parts that are critical. Especially buying off ebay or when the price is way below the average.

Users who are viewing this thread