5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Preferred Tonneau Hard Cover

HotHareSpey

Reaction score
Hi all,

mom looking ya the mopar and bakflip models don’t far. Any other recommendations? Would like to keep from drilling if possible but not required

enjoy your Sunday and thank you
HHS

Captain Stack

Reaction score
I love my Fold-A-Cover with Personal Caddy. It is not the "low profile" like most guys seem to be moving toward these days, but it is super functional and great looking.

RJS

Reaction score
I'll give you two suggestions.
Tonnopro Hard Folding - I bought this immediately after I purchased my 19 Laramie as I wanted a hard cover that didn't scratch so the vinyl fabric over aluminum panels appealed to me. The Mopar hard fold-a-cover that came on my 14 sport showed wear and tear over the four years I had it. Nothing serious but small dents and scratches from general use. So I wanted a cover that resisted entry and didn't show wear. It installed quickly and had very little leakage after final adjustments. The problem I had was I could just never getting rid of the look of the fabric cover riding and 1" or so above the bed. The vinyl just didn't fit in with the rest of the quality look of the Laramie. Lastly, it had to be removed to carry loads that required most of the bed length. Not a killer to remove but just inconvenient when I was someplace that I needed to load it that I hadn't planned on.

Undercover Armor Flex - I didn't want to spend a ton another cover so I used the Tonnopro until last week when I fell into a killer deal on the Armor flex. It filled the bill of scratch and dent resistance with the Linex coating and it sets flush with the bed and looks as good as the truck. It folds forward until there are about 4" left in it's length and secures in the raised position for driving. It also doesn't touch the cab as the struts hold it away from the cab. No biggie but a nice feature. I installed it yesterday, it takes a bit of time to get the rails mounted but it's straight forward. I also like the fact each panel locks separately as we travel a fair bit and it helps with the security. If they want to get in they will but this top just makes them work harder.

Lastly, both covers allow the tailgate to close when the cover is in the down position.

Tonnopro Hard Fold

IMG_20190824_125447.jpg

Undercover Armor Flex

IMG_20191110_112806.jpg

Armor Flex side view

IMG_20191110_112908.jpg

Ranger482

Reaction score
I've been very happy with my Bakflip MX4. Have had that model on my last two trucks and they have performed very well for me. A few drops of water by the tailgate that I could probably eliminate if I used some kind of gasket material, but it is so little its not an issue.
From a security standpoint it is about as secure as you can get, nothing is 100%. You can close either the tailgate or tonneau first, doesn't matter and it does not affect the remote tailgate release feature if you have it.

U

User_21361

I love my Diamondback SE. It's rock sold and very secure. It took 10 minutes to install. The only downside is that you have to plan ahead to use your full bed. That isn't an issue for me as I don't haul large items very often. I have folded back the rear panel a few times to haul things without removing the cover. I highly recommend it
1d9ec230cfd7dec4ffb936e307f055a3.jpg

MacDuff

Reaction score
I had the Bakflip MX4 on my 2016 Limited and currently own the Undercover Armor Flex on my 2019 loaded Laramie. Very similar products, but if I had a do over, i would definitely buy the Bakflip.
It's just a bit better fitting and more convenient to be able to quickly lean the unit against the cab when quickly grabbing items from the bed. With the Undercover I have to use one of the props everytime and one of the prop holders has already broken in less that a year.
Armorflex is a good product, but didn't fit quite as well, problems with the latches and rail fitment. Bakflip is very similar, just a bit better in my book.

Last edited:

maddog49

Reaction score
I have a Diamondback se and it works really well for loading stuff on top of it while keeping everything below it secure and dry. Expensive but fit and moved from the last truck pretty easily. In this pic I had a blanket over it to protect it from the skis but normally it's just a line x'd cover. No holes, weatherproof and secure and holds 400lbs on top (1600 lb model available). Does not interfere with the tailgate and has gas pistons to hold it up when working around it.

Attachments

• 20191112_162603~2.jpg
    20191112_162603~2.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 77

Rowan611

Reaction score
I have the WeatherTech bed cover. This is my first bed cover and so far I like it. I didn’t install it (it’s very cold where i am) and the Line-X dealer who was going to spray my bed lines only charged $75 to install it. Was a no brainer for me. But, I would have preferred to do it myself. That’s why I’m waiting on running boards until it’s warm again.

I’d recommend the WeatherTech. Just depends on what you’re looking for. I needed something weatherproof and I’ve always put WeatherTech mats in all my vehicles. It’s easy to roll up and locks in place with the tailgate. Sure, it’s not 100% secure. But unless you go with one of those cool metal ones, what is?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cravenfan

Reaction score
Anyone have a Mopar hard cover? Looking at this tri-fold hard cover (says tri but shows 4 panels?);
Hard Tri-Folding, 5.7 Ft Rambox, Black - Mopar (82212184AB)

Or this, which doesn't show a picture;

Hard Folding for 5.7' RamBox
Brand : Ram
Part Number : 82215225AD

There also seems to be an "AC" which replaces the "AB" which I assume then the AD replaces them both? Ugggg! Instructions below;

I'd like to stick to the Mopar version, but it looks like it may be from BAKFlip? I thought I wanted one with a lock, but maybe I don't need a key lock?

Thanks...

Last edited:

Scottyluck

Reaction score
Just ordered a BakFlip F1. Should be here tomorrow. I was interested in the MX4 but I ended up with the fiber covering just for durability reasons. This is for the Rambox bed.

jabara572

Reaction score
Just put a Bakflip G2 on mine and love it. I have been averaging high 18's and reset today averaged.... 21, exact same trip, same speed. My truck has never hit 21 on the EVIC, never..not once, and I check my mpg religiously. We will see if it continues to offer any if all benefit but I am mostly glad I didnt lose any mpg, just got it to keep leaves out. Mine is a 6'4" bed, seems very positive so far.

The G2 was very easy to put on and actually got an Amazon Warehouse open box deal for $540! =D =D =D Weighs about ~65lbs altogether, highly recommended.

RJS

Reaction score
The G2 was very easy to put on and actually got an Amazon Warehouse open box deal for $540! =D =D =D Weighs about ~65lbs altogether, highly recommended.

Interesting comments, that's exactly the price I paid for my Armorflex from the Amazon Warehouse two weeks ago. It pays to keep checking there for good deals. (y)

Ramgoose

Reaction score
Hi all,

mom looking ya the mopar and bakflip models don’t far. Any other recommendations? Would like to keep from drilling if possible but not required

enjoy your Sunday and thank you
HHS
ARE Fusion tri-fold, paint matched. No drilling , clamped on bed rail tracks that the cover locks into in each position. Interior of panels lined with Bed Rug material (matches Bed Rug if you have one and comes with an led light). Pretty sweet, about $1200.00

Attachments

• F75C8D14-4C6C-4FE6-940C-3E126CE4D3EE.jpeg
    F75C8D14-4C6C-4FE6-940C-3E126CE4D3EE.jpeg
    135.9 KB · Views: 66

jabara572

Reaction score
I have a feeling that 75% of the tri-fold hard covers are made by the exact same factory with minor differences and a different label.

Btw Bakflip (at least the G2) covers are no drill.

RJS

Reaction score
Looks 100% identical to a Bakflip G2.
Not surprising as Truck Hero owns both Bak and Undercover as well as several other brands. Mine differs in it has a LineX coating on the topside. I chose it over the Bak series or Undercover flex style as it should be more resistant to scratches and dents, hopefully. The price from Amazon Warehouse didn't hurt either.

DannyMc

Reaction score
Anyone have a Mopar hard cover? Looking at this tri-fold hard cover (says tri but shows 4 panels?);
Hard Tri-Folding, 5.7 Ft Rambox, Black - Mopar (82212184AB)

Or this, which doesn't show a picture;

Hard Folding for 5.7' RamBox
Brand : Ram
Part Number : 82215225AD

There also seems to be an "AC" which replaces the "AB" which I assume then the AD replaces them both? Ugggg! Instructions below;

I'd like to stick to the Mopar version, but it looks like it may be from BAKFlip? I thought I wanted one with a lock, but maybe I don't need a key lock?

Thanks...

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online