5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Preferred axle on a 4x4? (Anti-spin, locking rear diff, open)

alexharrel

Reaction score
Hey guys!

Ordering a 4x4 tradesman and I can choose between the standard open diff, anti-spin, and locking rear. This is the first that I have ordered, I have 3 other 1500 Tradesmans purchased on-lot and they have coincidentally all come with the anti-spin diff, but they are 4x2. Is this a very common upgrade? Would my me or my teams notice a difference in drive/capability? (98% pavement drives).

I appreciate any recommendation!

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do you ever get snow? If so and for 98 pavement the antispin wouldn’t hurt. Although, the traction control seems to work really well. I don’t think you would find much use for the locker.

n8zcc

Reaction score
I had an open-axle on my 2013 Laramie and even with living in the Michigan winters, never had an issue albeit I did have four-wheel drive. Depending on the climate you operate, the bucks for a limited slip may not be justified.

Rich6896

Reaction score
The anti-spin is a viable option for you.

As others have stated for off-road use the locking is a viable option but even then is only useful if one wheel is off the ground (I think this is correct) so if you never encounter that condition then even that would be of no use to you.
Yes. You can drive with 2 feet offroad to "trick" the non spinning wheel into giving power. I find lockers are good for after I'm already stuck. The next option. Lockers can hurt too. IE an off camber greesy muddy area where if both sides have power you slide sideways.

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The anti-spin is a viable option for you.

As others have stated for off-road use the locking is a viable option but even then is only useful if one wheel is off the ground (I think this is correct) so if you never encounter that condition then even that would be of no use to you.

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nope.
Locker is good any time you want guaranteed power at any rpm to both rear wheels. Great in off camber stuff but good when needing both wheel spin for traction in mud etc.

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
98 percent pavement would be the anti spin. Above, a Limited with 4wd probably has 4auto, not available on a tradesman. Traction control is too restrictive pulling out in traffic on rain or worse. Check sig line, have locker, need anti spin on pavement.

Kaderast

Reaction score
I remember twice last winter, without my elocker I would've been calling a buddy with a tow strap. It's amazing how much better traction you get when both rear wheels actually turn when stuck in a snow bank.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Nope.
Locker is good any time you want guaranteed power at any rpm to both rear wheels. Great in off camber stuff but good when needing both wheel spin for traction in mud etc.
Only if it stayed engaged above 25mph. For a majority of owners, the limited slip/anti-spin is the better option.

Users who are viewing this thread