5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pre-wired trucks?

Topher

Reaction score
So I have a question, are our trucks not pre-wired for most accessories? I had a 2013 wrx and it was pre-wired for most accessories but they may have not been installed from the factory. I bought the fog lights and the wires were already there just had to plug and play. I would love to have the bed lights but I don't want to run the wires through the bed and firewall to have them. I thought most companies built on a base platform and added accessories to the ones they wanted to but all the wiring is there. I guess I'm wrong.

Nukegm426

Reaction score
No, while That would make sense to only stock one harness, they would rather save a few cents one having different harnesses.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Not anymore. The cost of copper is expensive and if they can save a few bucks, they will. It isn't hard to install the bed lights, just time consuming. This is also a dealer install option so you could have them do it.

Dragonmaster13

Reaction score
Some things are still prewired, but less and less with each model year. With the amount of computers and body control modules in these trucks, even if you have the pre-wiring you are probably missing the BCM for that function. The bed light harnesses are typically there, but cheaper to go after market, the seat wiring is typically there, but a pita to make them work and the. add the cost for the upgraded seats and even dealers use aftermarket kits for warmers or venting if you want them added to a truck. Not much else is pre-wired from what I’ve seen here and on other forums.

dtlrshp

Reaction score
Use the power available at your trailer harness and add a switch. DIY with parts list here here:

Users who are viewing this thread