5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pre-Purchase Questions

tgwill

Reaction score
Getting ready to pull the trigger on a 2020 Laramie Sport 4x4 with eTorque, Off road package, sunroof and the 12" display. Couple of questions before I take the plunge and wanted to see if y'all could help me out. I'm a bit of a drive from the dealership.
  • Does the 2020 have an "Off-Road Page" in the dash information screen? I saw someone demo this in a 2021. Not a deal breaker, but would like to have it.
  • How is the AC performance on the 2020+? I recall reading about some issues with 2019's. Has that been resolved? Of course, I know it'll get a bit warm with the sunroof.
  • Has anyone had any catastrophic issues with the e-Torque Hemi? Having a hard time finding one without e-Torque with the options I want.
  • Does the remote start in the Laramie automatically turn on the heat/AC at specific temps?
  • How bad are the Falken AT's that come with the Off-Road package? Debating trying to get those switched out right away.
Working on beating up the dealer for the best pricing now and trying to get the most for my trade. Hoping I can pick it up tomorrow. Appreciate the answers in advance.

Wsmith

Reaction score
Getting ready to pull the trigger on a 2020 Laramie Sport 4x4 with eTorque, Off road package, sunroof and the 12" display. Couple of questions before I take the plunge and wanted to see if y'all could help me out. I'm a bit of a drive from the dealership.
  • Does the 2020 have an "Off-Road Page" in the dash information screen? I saw someone demo this in a 2021. Not a deal breaker, but would like to have it.
  • How is the AC performance on the 2020+? I recall reading about some issues with 2019's. Has that been resolved? Of course, I know it'll get a bit warm with the sunroof.
  • Has anyone had any catastrophic issues with the e-Torque Hemi? Having a hard time finding one without e-Torque with the options I want.
  • Does the remote start in the Laramie automatically turn on the heat/AC at specific temps?
  • How bad are the Falken AT's that come with the Off-Road package? Debating trying to get those switched out right away.
Working on beating up the dealer for the best pricing now and trying to get the most for my trade. Hoping I can pick it up tomorrow. Appreciate the answers in advance.
I can only chime in on the AC. 2020 Big Horn 5.7 non E. The AC is the weakest of any vehicle I have ever owned. Other than that I love it.

tgwill

Reaction score
I can only chime in on the AC. 2020 Big Horn 5.7 non E. The AC is the weakest of any vehicle I have ever owned. Other than that I love it.

You ever own a F150 FX4 EcoBoost? If it's worse than that, I might have to look elsewhere. Texas summers...

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Expand the quoted section below for my responses to your questions.

Not that I know of. I'll have to take a look at mine to know for sure. I have the ORG but haven't taken my Laramie off road yet.
My AC works fine for where I live. Summer high temps rarely hit 100 degrees. The ventilated seats help as well.
After almost 1 year of ownership, I haven't had any issues with etorque.
Yes, you can enable that in the uconnect settings.
I've been very impressed with the Falken AT tires. They work great for year-round driving. Like I said above, I haven't gone off road so I can't rate them for that use.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
eTorque - love mine and have had zero issues.
A/C - love mine as it will frost up your glasses when you get out of the cab in to the hot Texas heat. But is is hit and miss...some have very cold A/C and others do not. I test drove mine twice for 20 minutes each to ensure the A/C was pumping out mega-cold air and all other systems were working as designed.

Wsmith

Reaction score
You ever own a F150 FX4 EcoBoost? If it's worse than that, I might have to look elsewhere. Texas summers...
There are tons from Texas on here. They might be of help. And remember on any forum we whine about problems, I have never seen a thread titled "great AC how about yours". The only reason I think it is an chronic problem, is that I see many here that have the same problem, there is a hack fix, but I don't want to do it. For everyone that says their AC sucks there are probably 10 times the amount that have no issues. The only AC that was worse was on my 72 Nova.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I'm in Houston. AC is just adequate, not great. Works fine if you're garaged or parked in the shade, but leave it out in the open in the summer months and it does struggle to cool down quickly. Eventually it does, but it's not the point. It should just work.

On the other hand, my son's base model 2018 Tacoma starts blowing cold about two seconds after starting the engine and cools the cab in mere seconds. Wish mine worked like that.

I do love my truck, but the AC is def one of the weak points. I would not buy again unless I knew this issue had been resolved. That's all I have to say about that.

tgwill

Reaction score
On the other hand, my son's base model 2018 Tacoma starts blowing cold about two seconds after starting the engine and cools the cab in mere seconds. Wish mine worked like that.

I'm in Houston too, trading in my 2018 Tacoma V6. Thats one of the best parts about this truck.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've had a 2013 F150 5.0. I think it was STX. The AC in my 2019 Ram is Waaaaay better than the Ford was. ETorque has been great and I get a good amount of gas savings from it. As far as the Falkens....I'm told the OEM Falkens aren't as good as the aftermarket Falken Wildpeaks you get from discount tire, etc. I have the Wildpeaks from discount and they are awesome.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I'm in Houston too, trading in my 2018 Tacoma V6. Thats one of the best parts about this truck.
That, and my son's Tacoma has never been to the dealer for repairs or warranty work in two years (other than one oil change & recall).

My RAM, if I remember correctly, has been left at dealer for misc warranty work over a dozen times.
That's >12 visits in less than two years. Not sure I'd get rid of your Tacoma my brother... Some here have had better, luck, and some worst. A roll of the dice.

Cheers,

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
  • No (TRX only)
  • Unchanged. Mine works great (2019).
  • None whatsoever in 2+ years.
  • I think so, but I have a Longhorn.
  • They're really good, actually!

RSConsulting

Reaction score
The AC seems to be the biggest complaint - I find it to be a subjective one (unless I simply got lucky).

Im SoFla summer heat/humidity (110 heat index) it freezes me out and I have to turn it up (running on auto/low), passengers complain it's too cold. I remote start and run for 5-10 minutes before I jump in - don't use a sunshade - and even if it's not frozen, it seems to cool down pretty quickly (I open the rear glass 1/2-way to allow the hot air to circulate out).

It's funny - I just went through all the others "build and price" sections (GM/FORD/Etc.) for trucks and SUV's - and I would still drive EXACTLY WHAT I HAVE NOW.

Can't speak to your other questions personally (orr road, tires, etc.).

Rick

tgwill

Reaction score
That, and my son's Tacoma has never been to the dealer for repairs or warranty work in two years (other than one oil change & recall).

My RAM, if I remember correctly, has been left at dealer for misc warranty work over a dozen times.
That's >12 visits in less than two years. Not sure I'd get rid of your Tacoma my brother... Some here have had better, luck, and some worst. A roll of the dice.

Cheers,

My Tacoma has been in the shop plenty since I got it. And the way Toyota has treated me in the last two years has made me want to jump ship. The only time our Wrangler has seen the dealer was for free maintenance. Just don't buy a truck built on a Monday or a Friday.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Off-Road pages are for the 2021 trucks.

I ditched the Falkens and went to Nitto Ridge Grapplers. With only 2K miles on the Falkens I got $300 'trade-in' at my local tire shop.

Don't be fooled. The ORG comes with Falken Wildpeak AT3WA tires, not the AT3W tires. The AT3WA is a more road-centric tread vice the AT3W. Here is the difference:

AT3WA:
1602183250094.png

AT3W:
1602183499137.png

The AT3W is definitely a more aggressive all-terrain tread. The AT3WA is still a better choice than a BFG Rugged Trail that I've seen on other "off-road" packages.

I am happy with my Ridge Grapplers and my dad went with the AT3W tires and he is happy with them.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Off-Road pages are for the 2021 trucks.

I ditched the Falkens and went to Nitto Ridge Grapplers. With only 2K miles on the Falkens I got $300 'trade-in' at my local tire shop.

Don't be fooled. The ORG comes with Falken Wildpeak AT3WA tires, not the AT3W tires. The AT3WA is a more road-centric tread vice the AT3W. Here is the difference:

AT3WA:
View attachment 71242

AT3W:
View attachment 71244

The AT3W is definitely a more aggressive all-terrain tread. The AT3WA is still a better choice than a BFG Rugged Trail that I've seen on other "off-road" packages.

I am happy with my Ridge Grapplers and my dad went with the AT3W tires and he is happy with them.
Exactly! Both the Grapplers and the Wildpeak 3Ws are great tires. I think Ram went with the 3WAs for EPA reasons as well as having a more rounded all-season tire over Goodyear's. But the 3Ws are definitely the A/T version. But the 3WA A/T actually stands for All-Traction (like all season) Not All Terrain. That's per Falkens info.

tgwill

Reaction score
Good info on the tires. I'm used to them having different compositions. So long as they are better than the Goodyears in the wet, I'm good. Not planning to do much more than trails and beaches offroad anyway. And I'm sure with the Hemi, I'll be blowing through them quick :)

InstrumentTech

Reaction score
I just got a 2021 Rebel and I haven't had the chance to look yet, as I had to go away for work. But the equipment sheet indicated the Off-Road pages as part of mine.

tgwill

Reaction score
I just got a 2021 Rebel and I haven't had the chance to look yet, as I had to go away for work. But the equipment sheet indicated the Off-Road pages as part of mine.

I think this may be a Canada only thing. That's the only place I've been able to find it. Oh well. Not a huge deal. Not like I use it on my Taco.

1Zach1

Reaction score
My 2021 Laramie with Off Road package lists Off Road pages in the build sheet. Can't confirm they are there as the truck is in transit still.

Users who are viewing this thread