5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pre-purchase inspection for '19 Limited?

Niel McCauley

Reaction score
Found a great looking 2019 Ram 1500 Limited, but a) it's several states away and b) it has incomplete maintenance records, only 1 oil change over 25+ k miles. Is this a huge concern? Would an independent inspection help at all? I am looking at Alliance Inspection Management and they do "oil and transmission fluid analysis" which seems pretty far-fetched.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Found a great looking 2019 Ram 1500 Limited, but a) it's several states away and b) it has incomplete maintenance records, only 1 oil change over 25+ k miles. Is this a huge concern? Would an independent inspection help at all? I am looking at Alliance Inspection Management and they do "oil and transmission fluid analysis" which seems pretty far-fetched.

I highly recommend a pre-inspection, that truck should still be covered under the 3 yr/ 36k and 5 yr/ 60 powertrain. However, unless you can test drive it and see it in person, don't buy it.

As for oil analysis, it's easy to do, the labs usually offer kits to do sample taking even without doing a fluid change, however I wouldn't trust it unless you took the sample, especially if the selling dealers claims they have done it.

Records could be lost, maybe the previous owner did it himself or used independent shops. But there is just too many variables for me to want this truck.

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’d stray away form this! Mainly a reliability issue. I know many people join this forum to complain about their truck or to get answers to a question or problem. With that being said these 19 have had several issues, leaks, breaks, etc. etc. Mine has had a vibration issue since day one, luckily I bought it new and after a year of hell, ram finally agreed to buy it back. Mine has been in shop for this issue several times, new axles, new rack and pinion, tried new drive shaft, new rims and tires. Tires have been balanced 7 times in 7900 miles, tires are worn funny and chewed up on the outer edges. After all that I still have issues! I’m sure many people have these issue and give up and trade them in. You could be buying someone else’s problems. I know you take this risk with any used vehicle. But based off of my experiences and you saying maintenance may have been lacking. Also you being several states away. I’ve purchased 2 new truck out of state unseen, difference Is, they both had fully factory warranty with lemon law coverage, this truck your looking at dose not. This is just my opinion. Good luck in whatever you decide! I would not buy this without seeing it, driving it a few times and having a trusted mechanic going through it 100%!

RJS

Reaction score
The issues generally noted on the forum are wind noise, water leaks, electronic issues, Hemi tick and exhaust manifold bolts. I'm not sure how many inspection companies know that or will care if they are outside their normal parameters. I'd rather have a local mechanic look it over and video what he saw after I'd discussed the issues with him.

At least I'd want a video of a ride in it and the Carfax if you haven't already received them.

It's going to be a crap shoot no matter what you do from a distance as it could be a great truck or one that someone was glad to get traded in. Nothing beats a long drive over a wide variety of conditions with you at the wheel. Generally, to good to be true is just that, although I did get a killer deal on a used 14 Ram in 15 but it was 30 miles away and I got to drive it first.

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The issues generally noted on the forum are wind noise, water leaks, electronic issues, Hemi tick and exhaust manifold bolts. I'm not sure how many inspection companies know that or will care if they are outside their normal parameters. I'd rather have a local mechanic look it over and video what he saw after I'd discussed the issues with him.

At least I'd want a video of a ride in it and the Carfax if you haven't already received them.

It's going to be a crap shoot no matter what you do from a distance as it could be a great truck or one that someone was glad to get traded in. Nothing beats a long drive over a wide variety of conditions with you at the wheel. Generally, to good to be true is just that, although I did get a killer deal on a used 14 Ram in 15 but it was 30 miles away and I got to drive it first.
I drove 1004 miles each way in a weekend to save $5,000! I’d do it again for a new truck!

njt07

Reaction score
if you can get the vin you can look up the service history if it was done at a CDJR service center

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
bought my 19 Limited with 19,000 miles...now has 27,000..been flawless so far,( had a small leak from windshield gasket, (turned out windshield had been replaced prior to me buying, so can't blame FCA for that). If it's a great deal, go check it out in person like others have said.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Agreed, each truck is different. My 2019 was built in Jan of 2019. It so far has been flawless for me, great build quality, fit and finish, ice cold A/C, no drivetrain noises or leaks, some of the best shifting I've experienced with an automatic.

My 2015 F150 was also an all new design at the time, it was also flawless, no issues in the 4 years I've owned it.

HemiDude

Reaction score
Between my wife and I we have purchased over a dozen new vehicles. You won't find reported maintenance records on a single one of them. The only trips I have ever made to dealers or repair shops were for warranty work or tires. However, if you look into the owners manuals, you will see everything I ever did to them. You might ask the seller if they can look into the owner's manual for records, and send you pics of anything listed there.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My 2019 is rolling up on 40,000 miles and have never had any warranty work. It’s a mixed bag on individual owner experiences. Go drive it, look for cracked rear window frame, run through the electrical systems. If all’s good, I doubt there’s any need to worry. It could just be a truck where the original owner took advantage of the high price used market.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online