5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pre purchase concerns

Kiwiaudio

Reaction score
Im about ready to purchase a new Limited 1500 and have several concerns. Thought id put my questions to all you knowledgeable folk out there, because my dealer knows less than i do :)
First post - go easy, i havent looked around yet !

Im hesitant to trade/sell my 2014 Laramie, which has been almost fault free, and take on a heap of technical problems with a new one, spending a small fortune to do so, but even though the old girl only has 70K miles, she is almost 10 years old and its time !
Sorry for all the questions :

• For those with the 2022 Limited with the 20th anniversary package, how are the "Indigo sea salt" seats holding up ? I love the look of that interior which now comes with the "Elite" package, but wonder if the seats are easy to mark up.
  • Is the Ram Maxcare warranty still available ? Thats about the only way ill take on that air suspension ! Maybe one of the better aftermarket warranties would cover it - suggestions ? My Ram dealer doesnt recommend the Ram warranty. He sells one from CNA National that he says is cheaper and better !
  • Did Ram address the cam lobe and lifter wipeout commonly called hemi tick with the later engines ? Im not finding any horror stories recently. I think a higher output oil pump was introduced at some point ?
  • The 12" uconnect screen was problematic on the 2022, i believe the screen would black out etc. Did the update intended to address this take care of these issues ?
  • Does the rear sliding window have defrosting capabilities, or just the flanking windows ?
  • Does the drivers seat power lumbar adjust up/down as well as in/out ?
  • What is the difference between the electronic locking rear differential option and the anti spin option ?
  • I know the NHTSA is investigating power steering problems now involving my 2014, (mine does mess up when cold) and other years have been afflicted with issues, some addressed, most not. Any reason to believe the new trucks wont experience the same thing one day? I see the part numbers are different, but its the same electric power steering rack for all intents and purposes, right ?

I appreciate any contribution or opinion.

disarm

Reaction score
I can't answer all of these, but I know a couple...

• Does the rear sliding window have defrosting capabilities, or just the flanking windows?

• The rear defrost goes across the entire window, including the sliding section in the center. If you get the Level 1 Equipment Group, it includes a digital rearview mirror that gives you a completely unobstructed, wide view of the road behind you without having to worry about frost. It takes a little time to get used to the camera view because it's so different than a standard rear-view mirror, but I think it's pretty awesome now.

[*]Does the drivers seat power lumbar adjust up/down as well as in/out?
    It moves in all four directions.

[*]What is the difference between the electronic locking rear differential option and the anti spin option?
    While both options lock the rear differential, the 'anti-spin' option will engage the lock automatically when it detects low traction. The 'electronic locking' option must be engaged manually by a button on the dash. The electronic lock gives you more control over when the diff is locked, but you have to anticipate when it will be needed.

Last edited:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

While both options lock the rear differential, the 'anti-spin' option will engage the lock automatically when it detects low traction. The 'electronic locking' option must be engaged manually by a button on the dash. The electronic lock gives you more control over when the diff is locked, but you have to anticipate when it will be needed.
The anti-spin isn't a locker, it's a limited slip or as Chevy calls it posin. It's clutch based and will engage when one tire starts to slip and transfer power to the other wheel. It also allows both tires to spin at different speeds when going around corners so you don't get tire chatter. It's aworks at any speed.

The e-locker is a mechanical locker activated by a switch. But it will disengage above 25mph. when locked, the axle is solid and you will have tire chatter around corners. It's only meant for off-road use.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Im about ready to purchase a new Limited 1500 and have several concerns. Thought id put my questions to all you knowledgeable folk out there, because my dealer knows less than i do :)

Im hesitant to trade/sell my 2014 Laramie, which has been almost fault free, and take on a heap of technical problems with a new one, spending a small fortune to do so, but even though the old girl only has 70K miles, she is almost 10 years old and its time !

• For those with the 2022 Limited with the 20th anniversary package, how are the "Indigo sea salt" seats holding up ? I love the look of that interior which now comes with the "Elite" package, but wonder if the seats are easy to mark up.
  • Is the Ram Maxcare warranty still available ? Thats about the only way ill take on that air suspension ! Maybe one of the better aftermarket warranties would cover it - suggestions ? My Ram dealer doesnt recommend the Ram warranty. He sells one from CNA National that he says is cheaper and better !
Dealers will sell you whatever warranty makes them the most money. If yours is recommending a third party extended warranty, it's because they get a better kick back from it

• Did Ram address the cam lobe and lifter wipeout commonly called hemi tick with the later engines ? Im not finding any horror stories recently. I think a higher output oil pump was introduced at some point ?
There haven't been many reports of issues in newer models. I can't say I've seen but a few in the three years I have been on this forum

• The 12" uconnect screen was problematic on the 2022, i believe the screen would black out etc. Did the update intended to address this take care of these issues ?

It's getting better, but still has some glitches.

• Does the rear sliding window have defrosting capabilities, or just the flanking windows ?
The full window defrosts

Yesz as mentioned, 4-way adjustment

• What is the difference between the electronic locking rear differential option and the anti spin option ?
Answers above
  • I know the NHTSA is investigating power steering problems now involving my 2014, (mine does mess up when cold) and other years have been afflicted with issues, some addressed, most not. Any reason to believe the new trucks wont experience the same thing one day? I see the part numbers are different, but its the same electric power steering rack for all intents and purposes, right ?

Nobody can predict the future. I haven't seen many issues with power steering reported here.

n7qpp

Reaction score

I have a 2022 10th Anniversary with 11,000 miles on it. The seats are great and I am a big guy. Went on a trip Atlanta to Dayton and back about a 9 hour drive each way, no issues with the seats. On extended warranty I ONLY buy OEM. I purchased from Granger Motors, best price and very automated process.

Kiwiaudio

Reaction score
Another question:
Ill be getting the elite package which includes the split tailgate. The split tailgate trucks ive seen have large corner braces in the upper front corners of the bed by the bulkhead. Im assuming these are for structural support the bed must need with a split tailgate.
Im trying to imagine how id fit a tonneau cover with these braces there !
They are huge, maybe cover manufacturers replace them with smaller braces ?
OOPS - Found a thread about this with great info !

Last edited:

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The anti-spin isn't a locker, it's a limited slip or as Chevy calls it posin. It's clutch based and will engage when one tire starts to slip and transfer power to the other wheel. It also allows both tires to spin at different speeds when going around corners so you don't get tire chatter. It's aworks at any speed.

The e-locker is a mechanical locker activated by a switch. But it will disengage above 25mph. when locked, the axle is solid and you will have tire chatter around corners. It's only meant for off-road use.
Actually, I read somewhere, that the limited slip, IS electrically actuated, not a clutch any more. I don't remember where I read it, so it may not be accurate, but it surprised me.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I just found this. It only says some have electronic controls, but that was actually from a Ram dealer's web site. The site I found before may or may not be right.

A limited slip differential contains additional clutches or gears that work to limit power sent to a wheel that is starting to slip. Some LSDs are also equipped with electronics that monitor traction and provide more precise control.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I just found this. It only says some have electronic controls, but that was actually from a Ram dealer's web site. The site I found before may or may not be right.

A limited slip differential contains additional clutches or gears that work to limit power sent to a wheel that is starting to slip. Some LSDs are also equipped with electronics that monitor traction and provide more precise control.
All Rams have what is called a brake lock differential (BLD) that uses wheel speed sensors to determin slip and will apply the brake for that wheel to stop the spinning and transfer power to other wheel. Works on open diffs, or in conjunction with the limited slip clutches.

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the Elite interior so Indigo and Sea Salt - no regrets. Very comfortable and love the look. I treated the seats to help keep away color transfer from wearing jeans and there is no eating in the truck. I won't risk a food stain. might lighten up on that in a year or two. LOL!

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Ok, so who/what do you use ?
I don't have a preference on a warranty. I always get whatever the dealership has and most of the time it's ok. I generally only get for tires as it's super common to get flat tires where I live it pays for itself. CNA gave me a run around way more then the other companies I have used.

If you are trying to get an actual warranty you really should just get the Ram/Mopar one, then at least if you get screwed it's by the manufacture, and the dealerships and do the claims for you without some stupid "fax us the credit card number" which I have seen in the past.

Kiwiaudio

Reaction score
Thanks guys, you have given me something to think about regarding the warranties. I dont see the point of getting one until the factory warranty is almost up though.

Users who are viewing this thread