5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pre-paid oil change vs DIY

boldram

Reaction score
May be because i never enjoyed replacing oil myself but Mopar pre-paid Pennzoil FULL synthetic 3 changes for $227 on V8 Hemi plus tire rotation makes sense moneywise and labor wise.
$75 per oil change is phenomenal cant argue. Why would you buy all the parts and put yourself under a truck ?

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I agree with you 100%. With that you need to trust the shop/dealer doing the work. I think many people have had a bad experience at some point and will never trust a dealer.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Because I can get oil for around $25 per 5 quart jug if I wait for sales and buy bulk, and I can get filters for $10 or less at Walmart. I usually average about $45 per oil change, know exactly what goes into the truck and what comes out, and it takes me 20 minutes without having to jack the truck up and trust someone else to work on my truck. Been burned twice by someone else changing the oil, and you know the old saying.

I'd pay $100 per change and still do it myself for the peace of mind that someone isn't screwing up the simplest maintenance activity on a vehicle.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Because I can get oil for around $25 per 5 quart jug if I wait for sales and buy bulk, and I can get filters for $10 or less at Walmart. I usually average about $45 per oil change, know exactly what goes into the truck and what comes out, and it takes me 20 minutes without having to jack the truck up and trust someone else to work on my truck. Been burned twice by someone else changing the oil, and you know the old saying.

I'd pay $100 per change and still do it myself for the peace of mind that someone isn't screwing up the simplest maintenance activity on a vehicle.
Stock up Walmart has oil on sale.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

My thoughts exactly. Guys doing oil changes at dealerships are normally the least experienced in the shop. No way I want then touching my vehicles. Heard far too many horror stories over the years. Been close to 30 years since I let someone else change my oil or rotate my tires. So what if it takes a bit if my time. I sleep better knowing it was done right.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with others about knowing it was done right, but for me it’s more about the time and hassle involved with having it changed by a dealership or independent shop. Scheduling an appointment, dropping the vehicle off, arranging for transportation back to work, arranging for transportation back to the shop to pick up. My time is valuable to me, and it takes a lot more time and effort to do all that than to just change it myself in my own garage.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
May be because i never enjoyed replacing oil myself but Mopar pre-paid Pennzoil FULL synthetic 3 changes for $227 on V8 Hemi plus tire rotation makes sense moneywise and labor wise.
$75 per oil change is phenomenal cant argue. Why would you buy all the parts and put yourself under a truck ?
As others saidz it takes less of my time to change the oil myself as opposed to going to dealer. Plus I know what is getting put in the truck and what filter is being used. I can control the quality of said items. Also gives me an opportunity to look at other areas of the truck to make sure it all looks good, and not relying on someone else's opinion about what I should do to my own truck, in regards to maintenance items.

Think of it a je difference between cooking your own meals and eating out all the time. Surely it's convenient to have other people buy the supplies and cook your food. No dishes to clean up, no trip to grocery stores. No planning for meals. Just pick a place and go eat.

Cheaper to cook your own food. You can control the quality of the food, and cook it how you like. Plus it's usually healthier as well.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It's not about saving money, I would do it myself it it cost exactly the same as a dealership.

The reason is I simply don't trust them to do the same level of care as I would, especially Stellantis dealerships. Over the years, I've grown tired of paying other people to screw it up. Especially occurs on the more basic cheaper jobs, since they post the lowest paid least experience techs on those.

Minor things like putting in too much oil is the most common offense, which I usually have to drain out myself with a siphon. Or leaving a mess for me to clean up later. Maybe a 4 hour wait that requires me to go home and then back again to pick the truck up. Not using the oil & filter I prefer, how do I know for sure they used what I paid for?

Then there is more rare and serious things, such as forgetting to change the oil filter, sometimes dinging a door, staining or scratching something on the interior, or actually forgetting to put oil in until after they turned on the engine and I guarantee you that won't ever get mentioned to the owner.

For me, no one will do a better job than me, I actually find it enjoyable and as a side benefit it's actually cheaper and quicker.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's not about saving money, I would do it myself it it cost exactly the same as a dealership.

The reason is I simply don't trust them to do the same level of care as I would, especially Stellantis dealerships. Over the years, I've grown tired of paying other people to screw it up. Especially occurs on the more basic cheaper jobs, since they post the lowest paid least experience techs on those.

Minor things like putting in too much oil is the most common offense, which I usually have to drain out myself with a siphon. Or leaving a mess for me to clean up later. Maybe a 4 hour wait that requires me to go home and then back again to pick the truck up. Not using the oil & filter I prefer, how do I know for sure they used what I paid for?

Then there is more rare and serious things, such as forgetting to change the oil filter, sometimes dinging a door, staining or scratching something on the interior, or actually forgetting to put oil in until after they turned on the engine and I guarantee you that won't ever get mentioned to the owner.

For me, no one will do a better job than me, I actually find it enjoyable and as a side benefit it's actually cheaper and quicker.
Twice I've had two separate shops (one dealer) not do a thing other than add 5 more quarts of oil to an already full engine. Never again.

Users who are viewing this thread