5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pre-Delivery Mileage

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My truck had 24 miles on it when I picked it up. Doesn't bother me, but I'm curious where they came from? It seems high for just the distance going from the plant to train and train to truck carrier. Could it be travel to and from the outside vendor (bed liner?)

I'm even fine if the dealer took it for an inspection drive, it's just something that's got me wondering... Anyone know?

Snofire

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That is a possibility and also the QC dept. if they take it. My last vehicle had just over 40 miles on it. Not a big deal to me.

Redfour5

Reaction score
People take test drives as they try to get them to buy. Sometimes they trade cars with other dealers when the other dealer has one a customer wants. That happened with me. I was looking at one online at my dealership and they got it.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
could be a lot of things, road test due to something concerning the dealership, test drive by a customer, run to the pizza shop by someone at the dealer....wouldn't worry too much about it. I WOULD want to get in writing from the dealer that your 36,000 mile warranty should be extended by 24 miles. Believe me, it's amazing what can go wrong with a vehicle right around the moment a warranty expires. That extra 24 miles may mean something someday.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I would also think that there are a few miles put on at the factory. Surely they take it for some sort of test drive, to make sure the assembled vehicle actually works?

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
Part of a predelivery inspection is a test drive, to listen for noises and ensure the alignment is good and so on. 24 miles seems a bit much.

That said, it probably isn't anything nefarious. Salesmen are notoriously stupid and self-centered, so even if your truck was sold, if it was on the lot and a salesman needed a diesel for someone to test drive, he took yours. Ignoring the potential for damage and possibly costing your salesman your sale.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My truck had 25 miles on it at delivery. I saw pictures of it in different locations around the dealership for advertising, cleaning, etc. I purchased a 2105 Scat Pack off the truck with 7 miles on it, so you will never get a car with no miles. Even taking delivery of a new Corvette at the Corvette museum, across the street from the factory, they will have a few miles on them.

Camelot

Reaction score
Other customers test driving it. Mine had 35 miles on it when I picked it up, but I put on 28 of these miles when i took it for a test ride.

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Like everyone said. There are lots of factors. First they do drive them at the plant on a test loop to check for buzzes/squeaks/rattles. If they are flagged, they are fixed and checked again. Additional trucks are randomly picked for extra scrutiny. Then there's the drive to/from and off/on transport. The train or trailer is not always right there and they do use holding lots along the way so there could be a few miles just from shuffling around. When it finally gets to the dealer there's possible test drives, presale inspection, dealer staff grabbing a truck for lunch runs, etc. The dealer I bought from also has a second holding lot for extra inventory a couple miles down the street and they shuffle things around depending on lease specials, etc (at least when they had inventory). It all adds up.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Trucks with factory spray in bedliners are sent to Ground Effects LTD who sprays the Line-X bedliners onto trucks, that's likely where the mileage came from.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not clear if yours was a factory order or not but for a lot truck as other have stated there are lots of possible reasons. My truck had almost 200 miles on it because it had been traded twice from one dealer to another and had been on dealer lots for 2.5 months so likely had a few test drives in addition to mine. I have been able to get deals on my last 2 trucks when someone else ordered them from the factory and then backed out so the dealer had a 'weird' truck that was hard to sell - CC 6'4" box but is exactly what I wanted. The bonus this time was it was built pre chip shortage so I got blind spot etc.

The most important part was the dealer wrote the lease mileage to start at 299 miles so I did 'lose' those miles before I got the truck.

Last edited:

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not lear if yours was a factory order or not but for a lot truck as other have stated there are lots of possible reasons. My truck had almost 200 miles on it because it had been traded twice from one dealer to another and had been on dealer lots for 2.5 months so likely had a few test drives in addition to mine. I have been able to get deals on my last 2 trucks when someone else ordered them from the factory and then backed out so the dealer had a 'weird' truck that was hard to sell - CC 6'4" box but is exactly what I wanted. The bonus this time was it was built pre chip shortage so I got blind spot etc.

The most important part was the dealer wrote the lease mileage to start at 299 miles so I did 'lose' those miles before I got the truck.

Yeah OPs was a factory order, makes sense to me that trucks bought off the lot could have more mileage but factory orders shouldn't have that many. I understand the reasons why it could happen, but I would be pissed if I found out my ordered truck came in and then they let some other customer test drive it.

This was my first time ordering and luckily my truck got to me with 20 miles on it. Not too bad. It also went from Michigan to Louisiana before coming up to me in NY so I expected it to have a few miles on it.

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. i should have noted it was an ordered vehicle so unless the dealer was letting people test drive it (which i seriously doubt) it wasn't that.

It really wasn't a big deal, just a curiosity. Kind of like wondering where your dog went while he was out in the woods behind the house. As long as he's home safe, it's not important, but you wonder.

broken_vet

Reaction score
Mine had just under 90 miles, but they drove it here from where it was unloaded from the train in Denver. I guess they were tired of me calling for status updates and decided not to wait for the transport to get enough vehicles to be brought here. Salesman told me that waiting for the transport to fill with vehicles to be delivered to that dealership can often take more than 2 weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread