5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Powered Trailer Jockey/Carts - Anyone use one?

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
We've been lucky enough to get our 22' Moomba Ski Boat into our Tandem garage but it's like threading a bent needle; I can get the boat all the way to the back with the truck, but the time it takes from after getting the boat through the door is excessive.... so I've resorted to pushing it.

While I can push the boat, it's like taking the strong man challenge every weekend after boating; no bueno haha.

So I bought one of these powered trailer jockeys - installed it - and immediately bent the trailer bracket.
1596729895718.png
1596729924226.png

I'm planning to figure out a better bracket mounting location and possibly weld it to a plate and then reinstall it OR - weld it to a cart of some kind and go that route. Any suggestions? I think I can still return it if I process it today...

NC Rebel

Reaction score
The bracket where it attaches to the trailer frame looks like the weak point. What is the weight rating on that?

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looks like that trailer jockey is 5000 pound capacity, and a 22' Moomba Craz plus trailer (don't know your boat, just googled 22' Moomba) is 5400 pounds dry. Way over the limit for that little jockey.

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies y'all, I hope someone is using a powered jockey (whether DIY or bought)

The bracket where it attaches to the trailer frame looks like the weak point. What is the weight rating on that?

Definitely - the frame is strong but the bracket is shaped like a "W" and the half round nearest the trailer body floats about 1/4" causing major flex.

Granted, the direction I'm moving the boat in compared to the bracket will induce more front/back flex, but if it was mounted to the OE jack point, I would have side to side flex, probably nearly as bad.

1596840217746.png

The Jockey is listed online as 5000# / 500# Tongue weight capacity - the included manual states it's weight rated to 272kg/600#

Looks like that trailer jockey is 5000 pound capacity, and a 22' Moomba Craz plus trailer (don't know your boat, just googled 22' Moomba) is 5400 pounds dry. Way over the limit for that little jockey.

Wish I had a Moomba Craz! Had to look that up and then sit down, what a beauty.

Ours is a '07 Outback, Weighs 2750# Dry, supposedly 3600# with Trailer, at 10% that's still under 400#, so it's a safe window. But good point made because that's easy to miss for some!

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Tossing this idea out there, hoping y'all can poke holes in the idea build before I get too far... Or what's a reputable trailer tug in the $500 range? Maybe I'm wasting my time?

Doing some research on motorized trailer movers I came across the Trailer Tug (~$350 un-powered). Looking at how it's built, it's pretty easy to replicate with this mockup below, I'll probably chop up and weld an old trailer frame or square tube I come across. The other option being a scrap hand truck laid flat or angle with a ball in the middle

1597165572867.png

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think you'd want something with actual tires at least for the outer support wheels. Something like this maybe?

I'm definitely looking at something like that; I'm only using this for about a 30-40' push to the back of the tandem in a flat garage but may also use it on my textured concrete side drive... so urethane wheels might be annoying.

I might look for solid rubber wheels if they don't flat spot during use.

One issue with the "T" handle dollies is the weight is essentially 100% over the free axle, giving the powered wheel not much drive weight.

If I center the ball on the Tug, I can spread the weight, effectively reducing stress on the downward weight of the tongue

1597172463666.png

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have to push my boat into the corner of the garage every time. It does get old; but it isn't that bad. Of course, my boat is about 4,000 pounds max with the trailer and loaded. I feel your pain though.

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have to push my boat into the corner of the garage every time. [...]

Tandem axle or single? That's another PITA plus it's a surge brake tongue so it feels like it 'sticks' some (def time to service it)

Mine being a tandem is such a pain since I have a very minor jog to navigate, almost too tight.

Has anyone used a TrailerValet?

1597362409369.png

I saw a TrailerValet XL on Amazon for $600 (my Biltek was ~$220), the Trailer Valet is rated to 10k/1k which would be nice for a future camper, however my DIY Tug should be able to take that weight with the distributed weight on each piece...

I'm just waffling if I have the time/want to build something or if this non-powered Trailer Valet is worth a shot as a better long term solution with one less failure point (motor, which can be replaced easy)

maddog49

Reaction score
I've used a trailer valet with a 6000lb biat and trailer and it worked fine on concrete. You can also use a drill with it

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've used a trailer valet with a 6000lb biat and trailer and it worked fine on concrete. You can also use a drill with it

Appreciate the post Madddog - I think I'm ultimately going that way now. While I'd love to build something with that jockey wheel, the unknown motor/gearing origin for service is iffy and the market for other options is so limited.

I the refurb Trailer Valet XL is the next best option and will hopefully be useful when I get a bigger trailer in the future as well.

Users who are viewing this thread