5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Powered Sub

Anthony1017

Reaction score
So I have a 2019 Ram 1500 with base sound system. I just tried to install a Powered Sub and I'm running in to an issue. So I found the rear speakers on the oem amp and I hooked the power sub into it and ran my power and ground cable to the battery. Seems to be working bass is there but as soon as I raise the volume pass 17 the power sub goes into protect mode and shuts off.

Any one have any ideas? I was thinking its because im tapping in to the speaker cables going into the oem amp? That doesn't make sense but can seem to figure out what's going.

mch

Reaction score
I'd recommend you include the model of powered sub, and gauge of wire you ran to the battery. Did you run the speaker wires straight into the amp, or use a High-to-low level converter?

dsn112

Reaction score
Did you hook it up to the input or output of the amp?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anthony1017

Reaction score
Im trying to install a Kicker PT250 and i didn't use any converter, I tapped in to the speaker wires going into the oem amp under the driver seat. i used the included harness which comes with a 14 guage cable and i connected it straight to the battery.

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
If you have the base system you don’t have an amp. You might be referring to the anc module. Make sure you are wiring into the high level inputs on the sub. We would have to see what settings you have on the sub. Following the instructions for setting up your sub. Could be you have boost too high so when you crank the volume it cuts it. Usually when you set up a basic sub you turn boost down all the way, turn radio volume up to 2/3, say 30 out of 35, then start turning your boost up until your sub cuts out. Leave it at that setting. But follow the instructions for your particular sub

Anthony1017

Reaction score
If you have the base system you don’t have an amp. You might be referring to the anc module. Make sure you are wiring into the high level inputs on the sub. We would have to see what settings you have on the sub. Following the instructions for setting up your sub. Could be you have boost too high so when you crank the volume it cuts it. Usually when you set up a basic sub you turn boost down all the way, turn radio volume up to 2/3, say 30 out of 35, then start turning your boost up until your sub cuts out. Leave it at that setting. But follow the instructions for your particular sub
Yes i have triple checked all wire and set the amp to high level and lo input, No matter what i do it still goes into protect mode when i put the volume pass 17. Ive set the gain and bass at there lowest settings and no go.

I tried taping into the anc speakers coming in and out and same issue. I tested the kicker on a different car an it works just fine.

Patsy1099

Reaction score
Yes i have triple checked all wire and set the amp to high level and lo input, No matter what i do it still goes into protect mode when i put the volume pass 17. Ive set the gain and bass at there lowest settings and no go.

I tried taping into the anc speakers coming in and out and same issue. I tested the kicker on a different car an it works just fine.

Where are you getting power from and what gauge wire are you using? You should be going straight to the battery with a heavy gauge (not the fuse panel) otherwise your voltage can drop and that can cause clipping.

Anthony1017

Reaction score
Where are you getting power from and what gauge wire are you using? You should be going straight to the battery with a heavy gauge (not the fuse panel) otherwise your voltage can drop and that can cause clipping.
I’m getting power straight from battery and also the ground. I checked the voltage while Turku the volume up and power is not an issue. Even took it in to a stereo shop and the tested the powered sub and worked fine no issues.

They also checked my power and the speaker wires with no issue found. They said they had no idea what’s happening

Patsy1099

Reaction score
I’m getting power straight from battery and also the ground. I checked the voltage while Turku the volume up and power is not an issue. Even took it in to a stereo shop and the tested the powered sub and worked fine no issues.

They also checked my power and the speaker wires with no issue found. They said they had no idea what’s happening

- Can you post some pics of your sub, settings and how you have it wired.

- Also try turning the bass down to flat in the eq setting and turning loudness off.

- it would also be nice to bypass the anc temporarily to see if that helps. I wonder if it might be causing some harmonic distortion but that would require you purchasing a harness (see below) or unpinning the mics. Maybe do this as a last resort.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-Wjp3g...C-APH-CH01-AmpPro-Harness.html?omnews=2795447

Anthony1017

Reaction score
- Can you post some pics of your sub, settings and how you have it wired.

- Also try turning the bass down to flat in the eq setting and turning loudness off.

- it would also be nice to bypass the anc temporarily to see if that helps. I wonder if it might be causing some harmonic distortion but that would require you purchasing a harness (see below) or unpinning the mics. Maybe do this as a last resort.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-Wjp3g...C-APH-CH01-AmpPro-Harness.html?omnews=2795447
Ok I’ll post some pic in the morning, Is that harness compatible with 2019 ?

Bcryan

Reaction score
door speakers + sub = more power draw or signal draw. Not sure what our systems are measured by

The quality sensor sensors it and cuts it back at 17 instead of around 24

not sure if they resolved it

Users who are viewing this thread