5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Powered Running Boards - Steps - Too Much Gap

sparkygreen

Reaction score
Im taking delivery of a new 2019 Ram 1500 Limited tomorrow. I searched to forum and didn't see anything relating specifically to this, so I wanted to see what others have experienced.

I love the concept of the powered steps, but when they are closed I find that many models (including the one Im buying) have a big gap when closed.

The gap is more prominent towards the rear than the front. For example I can fit 1 full finger in the gap at the rear when closed, at the front the gap is significantly less, but you can still see daylight.

To me this really takes away from the looks of the truck. Ive seen some trucks on the road and at dealers that seem to tuck up tighter than others.

Does anyone know if there is an adjustment for the steps to help minimize (or preferably eliminate) the gap?

Im surprised with all the little defects and issues others find with their trucks this topic has not come up before.

Thanks for the input, see attached.

Attachments

• IMG_4159.JPG
    IMG_4159.JPG
    125.8 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_010FA934C163-1.jpeg
    IMG_010FA934C163-1.jpeg
    298.9 KB · Views: 153

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Im taking delivery of a new 2019 Ram 1500 Limited tomorrow. I searched to forum and didn't see anything relating specifically to this, so I wanted to see what others have experienced.

I love the concept of the powered steps, but when they are closed I find that many models (including the one Im buying) have a big gap when closed.

The gap is more prominent towards the rear than the front. For example I can fit 1 full finger in the gap at the rear when closed, at the front the gap is significantly less, but you can still see daylight.

To me this really takes away from the looks of the truck. Ive seen some trucks on the road and at dealers that seem to tuck up tighter than others.

Does anyone know if there is an adjustment for the steps to help minimize (or preferably eliminate) the gap?

Im surprised with all the little defects and issues others find with their trucks this topic has not come up before.

Thanks for the input, see attached.
Yep. Mine’s pretty much the same. See the pic. It’s never really bothered me. To really see it, I have to bend down a little to get the angle just right. My main complaint is my poorly performing AC. Quite a few threads on here about that issue.

Attachments

• 28738F56-A10B-465E-B3CF-AA7E635524AE.jpeg
    28738F56-A10B-465E-B3CF-AA7E635524AE.jpeg
    107.4 KB · Views: 104

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There was a big thread about it last August. The body sweeps up a bit in the back creating a little more gap. Boards are straight, body isn't. Not a big deal. 20190616_125338.jpg

Last edited:

sparkygreen

Reaction score
Thanks all for the quick feedback. I guess I will learn to live with it.

I did check the A/C and it seems to perform well, so hopefully no issues there.

Thanks again!

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wow, I never noticed on the ones I looked at!

I'll have to see. Maybe they can be "adjusted" a bit to close that gap?
If I had seen that, then I more than likely would have left that addition off and went with aftermarket.

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Now see I’m guessing I’m not that picky as mine doesn’t bother me. I chose mine as a way to clean up my sides and so far it’s done just that. :)

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I kid you not .. of all the vehicles I looked at and test drove, I NEVER noticed that .. I went to lunch with my salesman today and when we got back I looked at a couple on the lot .. WHOA!! GAP NOW THAT YOU POINTED IT OUT ... THANKS :(
LOL

So I crawled underneath and saw that although the very rear portion of the body does "bend" upwards a bit, I noticed that the rear bracket was not fully pinched closed like the front .. I pushed up on the rear of the step to get the bracket to close and asked the salesman what it looked like .. he said perfect gap.

I saw a couple bolts but was not sure if you could loosen and adjust the mounting point or not. If the gap is like this on a dry day, I can only imagine what it would look like for those of us in nasty wintry areas when grime or salt gets in the creases.

I told my salesman that I would have to see if I could adjust mine once my preorder arrives.

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The power running boards also have a weight and resistance sensing capability built in which is why I thought they had the gap. If you are standing on the running board with the door closed it won't retract and if it hits your leg or some object deploying it should also retract. In Winter when the Ice builds up the running board will not stay retracted when it hits the ice to the body underside if it is too thick and needs removed before they will stow properly.

Users who are viewing this thread