5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Power tailgate opens w overhead switch while driving

tech97elec

Reaction score
Dont know if any of you have experienced this, but be careful.

I was driving early one morning and reached for the light switch and hit the tailgate switch by mistake. It opened without me hearing it and almost lost my junk out the back. Thankfully another driver pulled beside me and alerted.

Youd think this would be disabled when the truck is in gear.

Handycraftman

Reaction score

I was driving early one morning and reached for the light switch and hit the tailgate switch by mistake. It opened without me hearing it and almost lost my junk out the back. Thankfully another driver pulled beside me and alerted.

It's strange. On my truck, you can only open the back door in parking mode

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

I don't have a tailgate button. Sounds like I should be glad I don't. You'd think the tailgate open indication on dash would have alerted you

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I don't have a tailgate button. Sounds like I should be glad I don't. You'd think the tailgate open indication on dash would have alerted you
It's up top near the sunroof button.
It's pretty hard to hit by mistake at least on my truck. You also only hear it when the tailgate lands down, which if you were moving probably wouldn't hear it either.

My wife's 2013 GMC Acadia can't even have it's rear open while driving. I once wrapped down some new 64 gallon trash bins and gently placed the rear on the bins. As soon as I started to move the electronics pushed the entire rear door all the way up. There was no way to keep it down while in motion, either completely shut or all the way open.

Honestly I don't really know why there is a tailgate release button up front, maybe for soccer moms who want to open the tailgate for their Target drive up orders for the person to place the stuff in back?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It's up top near the sunroof button.
It's pretty hard to hit by mistake at least on my truck. You also only hear it when the tailgate lands down, which if you were moving probably wouldn't hear it either.

My wife's 2013 GMC Acadia can't even have it's rear open while driving. I once wrapped down some new 64 gallon trash bins and gently placed the rear on the bins. As soon as I started to move the electronics pushed the entire rear door all the way up. There was no way to keep it down while in motion, either completely shut or all the way open.

Honestly I don't really know why there is a tailgate release button up front, maybe for soccer moms who want to open the tailgate for their Target drive up orders for the person to place the stuff in back?
Not an option on the Bighorn. I had to buy a keyfob with the release button on it, then program to truck, to get remote tailgate release.

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
yeah kind off weird we dont all have a indicator for the tailgate, im not sure if i have it (and i cant go confirm for a while) but should of been automatic for trucks that has interior switch for tailgate opening or remote

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
yeah kind off weird we dont all have a indicator for the tailgate, im not sure if i have it (and i cant go confirm for a while) but should of been automatic for trucks that has interior switch for tailgate opening or remote
I would think if it has factory remote release, to include the button insidez the tailgate open indication should be standard. It can be turned in in alfaObd if you don't have it. I enabled it on my truck

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would think if it has factory remote release, to include the button insidez the tailgate open indication should be standard. It can be turned in in alfaObd if you don't have it. I enabled it on my truck
thanks, as soon i can check that out , if i dont have one ill add it for sure

magic280z

Reaction score

Mine definitely has a tailgate open indicator. It is annoying because it takes over the whole screen until you confirm.

Mine also does not open with the button in drive. This was annoying at the dump the other day because the tailgate handle doesn’t work either in drive. So if a second person needs to open the tailgate you have to go to park.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tabber02

Reaction score
i have a light on my dash showing when the tailgate isn't closed. noticed it the other night when i was showing off the multi-function tailgate to my neighbor and then i backed into the driveway. i thought the tailgate was closed, but had a light; apparently it wasn't latched all the way

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Mine definitely has a tailgate open indicator. It is annoying because it takes over the whole screen until you confirm.

Mine also does not open with the button in drive. This was annoying at the dump the other day because the tailgate handle doesn’t work either in drive. So if a second person needs to open the tailgate you have to go to park.

That is a huge inconvenience having to push the "ok" button and rotating the shift knob into park. 🙄

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

I would hope that if you have someone behind your vehicle attempting to open the tailgate you would have the common courtesy to put the truck in park as a safety measure.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
This is the tailgate drop button in case anyone was wondering what\where it looks like.
I never hit it by mistake, but I can definitely see how someone could hit it trying to hit the all-lights button at night.
2022-12-29 18.22.57.jpg

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Huh. Almost a year into owning this and truck and I never noticed the tailgate release button in the overhead console. Go figure :LOL:. Guess I've never needed it, glad I have the Ajar warning on my dash though

Nascar Tommy

My other Ram is a Dodge.
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Not an option on the Bighorn. I had to buy a keyfob with the release button on it, then program to truck, to get remote tailgate release.
I'm glad I read this. I was going to ask about if I could just buy the fobs to make the gate work. Did you reprogram yourself or have to go to dealer?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm glad I read this. I was going to ask about if I could just buy the fobs to make the gate work. Did you reprogram yourself or have to go to dealer?
Had a local locksmith program it and cut the key insert

Users who are viewing this thread