5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Power Steps

i_squared_r

Reaction score
I want to install power steps on my crew cab RAM 1500. My mom has knee problems and has problems getting in the truck so I keep a step in the truck. Now she will be using my truck whenever I am out of the country and I think the power steps would help her. But it looks like they got a lot more expensive??? $1700 for the amp research steps, that can't be serious? Has anyone found better deals or found a dealer that can get the mopar steps for cheaper?

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I want to install power steps on my crew cab RAM 1500. My mom has knee problems and has problems getting in the truck so I keep a step in the truck. Now she will be using my truck whenever I am out of the country and I think the power steps would help her. But it looks like they got a lot more expensive??? $1700 for the amp research steps, that can't be serious? Has anyone found better deals or found a dealer that can get the mopar steps for cheaper?
I don't know about on the boards, but I have seen many posts of ordering OEM parts through Bam Wholesale, being the best price on quite a few thing.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
You can buy the Mopar Power Running Boards for about $1500+ tax from your dealer using the Mopar 15% discount coupon. I bought a set last week for $1470+ tax.

BAM gave me an offer of $1455, but they wanted $400 to ship them.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
I was ready to order those for polyperformance with coupon code its $1170, but then I saw on youtube those steps don't really disappear underneath the RAM

Those are the older style boards with 3 arms. The new ones have 2 arms and tuck up better.

i_squared_r

Reaction score
I'm very happy with the steps. Only complaint is the instructions aren't too good. They have better instructions on their website. And the passenger side harness is a little short. They don't give a lot of length to spare. To get it to reach, I had to pull the AC ducts by the driver/passenger feet and run the harness underneath the AC ducts. And look for the most direct route underneath on the driver's side. Even then, you have only 1 or 2" to spare. But otherwise they seem like quality steps. The main difference from Mopar and AMP research steps is that these function with magnet sensors. They stick to the door jambs, and you stick magnets to the door. No integration with the Uconnect like the other brands.

IMG_3056.jpg IMG_3058.jpg

IMG_3059.jpg

IMG_3057.jpg

i_squared_r

Reaction score
I have them on our 2021 Limited and they are great you will love them.
I'm concerned the manual says not to use the steps in icy conditions. I'll be long gone to Colombia/brazil before it starts getting cold, but my mom will use the truck during the winter. We'll see if it survives winter here. I think that the fuse would blow before any damage is done to the steps.

6of36

Reaction score
I'm concerned the manual says not to use the steps in icy conditions. I'll be long gone to Colombia/brazil before it starts getting cold, but my mom will use the truck during the winter. We'll see if it survives winter here. I think that the fuse would blow before any damage is done to the steps.
My buddy has factory power steps on his, and has never had trouble in Michigan winters. My new one I added in the build.

1923bob

Reaction score
We went back to Denver with it and had no trouble with them.

raygun9

Reaction score
You can buy the Mopar Power Running Boards for about $1500+ tax from your dealer using the Mopar 15% discount coupon. I bought a set last week for $1470+ tax.

BAM gave me an offer of $1455, but they wanted $400 to ship them.
any idea what the 15% code is? I might pull the trigger on the mopar boards and the GT exhaust.

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm very happy with the steps. Only complaint is the instructions aren't too good. They have better instructions on their website. And the passenger side harness is a little short. They don't give a lot of length to spare. To get it to reach, I had to pull the AC ducts by the driver/passenger feet and run the harness underneath the AC ducts. And look for the most direct route underneath on the driver's side. Even then, you have only 1 or 2" to spare. But otherwise they seem like quality steps. The main difference from Mopar and AMP research steps is that these function with magnet sensors. They stick to the door jambs, and you stick magnets to the door. No integration with the Uconnect like the other brands.

View attachment 164019 View attachment 164020

View attachment 164021

View attachment 164022
Those light down by the running boards are pretty cool where did u get them?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
They are fine in the winter. If you are parking the truck in snow that can become ice set them to stow. More of a liability thing I think.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score

View attachment 164019 View attachment 164020

View attachment 164021

View attachment 164022
Those hang much lower than the OEM steps. In your last pic they appear to hang below the frame even.

Users who are viewing this thread