5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Power Steering Fault AFTER recall

niftyguy239

Reaction score
This is not related to the steering not returning to center TSB. This is directly associated with the complaints received that prompted the recall for the ground cable.

This morning while out of town, I went to move my truck in the parking lot closer to the hotel entrance. I started if up and started driving as normal. While in the parking lot mid right turn at 8 mph I lost power steering. It flashed the service power steering light for 4 seconds and then it came back. I slowed down to avoid any issues. I go to make one more right turn at 8 mph again and lost it, this time I had to slam on my brakes and came within 4" of a light pole. Service power steering light on, I turned the truck off and then back on. Everything returned to normal. I was able to park without issues. My truck build date is 04/18 and the recall work was done on 02/06/2019.

This is still a safety issue folks. It's not over yet.

Dealer appointment is tomorrow.

whetrick1

Reaction score
This is not related to the steering not returning to center TSB. This is directly associated with the complaints received that prompted the recall for the ground cable.

This morning while out of town, I went to move my truck in the parking lot closer to the hotel entrance. I started if up and started driving as normal. While in the parking lot mid right turn at 8 mph I lost power steering. It flashed the service power steering light for 4 seconds and then it came back. I slowed down to avoid any issues. I go to make one more right turn at 8 mph again and lost it, this time I had to slam on my brakes and came within 4" of a light pole. Service power steering light on, I turned the truck off and then back on. Everything returned to normal. I was able to park without issues. My truck build date is 04/18 and the recall work was done on 02/06/2019.

This is still a safety issue folks. It's not over yet.

Dealer appointment is tomorrow.

It maybe as simple as my xmsn shifting problems. The dodge tech drove mine and did some trouble shooting. Found that the xmsn plug had some moisture in it.. Cleaned it put some dielectric grease in it and plug it back in and haven't had anymore problems with it. And it's been about a month since he cleaned the plug.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

niftyguy239

Reaction score
It was a different ground connection that wasn't included in the recall. Based on what happened, the codes that popped up, and what the tech told me directly. I think I found the problem with so many of the trucks. The Achilles heal.

According to the tech. My main ground connection known as G2A and the ground strap for the PCM were heavily corroded and had high resistance. The cable was scortching hot to touch. According to the tech, this fools the PCM into thinking it's getting the right voltage, but ends up overcharging the system to 15-16V. This was confirmed with diagnostic testing of the battery and charging system. He told me that he looked through my vehicle history (AC fan cutting out, transmission having the dreaded 2-1 shift and the bumping from the rear end, the AC not blowing cold enough, and my unconnect issues were all because of this. This is also why a check engine light never came on even though it stored 6 high or low voltage DTCs. He angle grinded the contact points, cleaned the connections, replaced the ground wire and buttoned it all back together with some grease and torqued it to spec. Drove it home 203 miles and I don't have ANY OF the problems I had before today. No more transmission shifting issues, no more "bumping" from the rear end, the drone noise and screeching in the ANC system is gone, and my AC is blowing a lot colder.

whetrick1

Reaction score
It was a different ground connection that wasn't included in the recall. Based on what happened, the codes that popped up, and what the tech told me directly. I think I found the problem with so many of the trucks. The Achilles heal.

According to the tech. My main ground connection known as G2A and the ground strap for the PCM were heavily corroded and had high resistance. The cable was scortching hot to touch. According to the tech, this fools the PCM into thinking it's getting the right voltage, but ends up overcharging the system to 15-16V. This was confirmed with diagnostic testing of the battery and charging system. He told me that he looked through my vehicle history (AC fan cutting out, transmission having the dreaded 2-1 shift and the bumping from the rear end, the AC not blowing cold enough, and my unconnect issues were all because of this. This is also why a check engine light never came on even though it stored 6 high or low voltage DTCs. He angle grinded the contact points, cleaned the connections, replaced the ground wire and buttoned it all back together with some grease and torqued it to spec. Drove it home 203 miles and I don't have ANY OF the problems I had before today. No more transmission shifting issues, no more "bumping" from the rear end, the drone noise and screeching in the ANC system is gone, and my AC is blowing a lot colder.

Yes some pics would be nice so if we start having problems, we can check that first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread