5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Power Sidestep Mod

rhumbliner

Reaction score
I’ve had my 2021 1500 Limited for a few months, now and it seems I keep banging my shins on the power sidestep when it deploys. Placing it in Store mode isn’t an option since my wife can’t climb into the cab without it. So my solution was to crawl underneath and disconnect the electrical connection to the driver-side sidestep. This accomplishes exactly what I want but the problem I now have is the alert/warning I receive. It alerts me to a Power Sidestep problem not just when I start the engine, but everytime I start moving from a stopped position. This is really annoying and I’m afraid I’ll mentally begin to ignore all warnings. I doubt there is a software/configuration solution available from the console so I’m wondering if anyone has an idea as to how I can maybe fool the system into thinking everything is working fine. Maybe by connecting 2 ports on the connector and thus closing the sensor circuit? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• B19212A6-8687-4162-8038-CFA13169378A.jpeg
    B19212A6-8687-4162-8038-CFA13169378A.jpeg
    93.2 KB · Views: 21

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Maybe there is something you can do with alpha OBD, but there definitely is nothing in the uconnect settings to keep just one side stowed.

Stating the obvious here, but maybe stand a little further away from the truck when you open the door and wait for the step to stop moving before you get in. I haven't really heard of anyone else having this problem, myself included. I don't really need the step but I use it anyway to avoid as much wear on the seat as possible.

rhumbliner

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, my wife tells me all the time I’m the impatient type and waiting 3 secs for the sidestep to deploy is difficult for me. I’ll probably have to settle for that solution.
😊

ExtinctBird

Reaction score
I am not sure on how to address the warning you are receiving, but I would recommend that you seal both ends of the plug that you disconnected. You do not want the connectors to corrode and never go back together.

rhumbliner

Reaction score
I am not sure on how to address the warning you are receiving, but I would recommend that you seal both ends of the plug that you disconnected. You do not want the connectors to corrode and never go back together.
Oh yeah. Both ends are taped up and watertight. Thx for the heads up.

Users who are viewing this thread