5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Power Side Step

jcmatthews5

Reaction score
Just purchased a 2020 Ram 1500 Rebel and I am having trouble getting the power steps to deploy. When going through the Safety and Driving Assistance in the settings I do not see an option for power side step. When you look under the vehicle it has side steps on both driver and passenger side but I cannot find a place to deploy them. Is there something in the system that could be wrong or needs to be reset?

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Im not sure of your issue as i dont have power steps but youd be better off asking this in the exterior section of the forum.

BigBear1612

Reaction score
Just purchased a 2020 Ram 1500 Rebel and I am having trouble getting the power steps to deploy. When going through the Safety and Driving Assistance in the settings I do not see an option for power side step. When you look under the vehicle it has side steps on both driver and passenger side but I cannot find a place to deploy them. Is there something in the system that could be wrong or needs to be reset?
I had mine installed at the dealer. They are plugged into the OBD2 port under the dash. I think that is how they deploy.

N7GZN

Reaction score
The answer you are looking for is in this thread; using AlfaObd to enable the power side steps.

n8zcc

Reaction score
The vehicle may not be factory-equipped with power running boards, could be an aftermarket system. I do not think the 2020 Rebel came with factor power running boards.

Htsderek

Reaction score
As mentioned by n8zcc, first figure out if they are Mopar steps or not. There are several aftermarket options some of which are installed by the dealer.

Check the boards and hinges for anything identifying the manufacturer, check in the door jams for magnets and switches, look under the dash and see if there is anything extra plugged into the OBD port (some controllers used a "T" to connect to the OBD port so there would still be one open for diagnostics), and look under the hood for anything extra connected to the battery.

It is also helpful to post pictures here, there's a lot of knowledge on this forum and it helps to see what you are working with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/