5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Power Side Step Setting not saved, please try again

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Anyone ever get this message?
On a 22 Limited with UC5, factory oem installed power steps.
Battery recently disconnected and re-connected. No engine or error codes everything else is fine.

I am able to get them to engage when hitting the power side step button, but they stay in auto mode.
The screen shows they are in store (which means they should NOT deploy) but it acts like it's in auto. If I try and change to auto I get this message, and it reverts back to calming it is in store.
I even tried clicking the "i" and changing it in the sub menu and same thing.
1653673639330.jpeg

Thoughts?

OB1

Reaction score
I have the same truck and exactly the same issue with the power side steps which I assume was caused by a dead battery. Were you able to figure out how to resolve the issue. Any help would be appreciated!

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have the same truck and exactly the same issue with the power side steps which I assume was caused by a dead battery. Were you able to figure out how to resolve the issue. Any help would be appreciated!
Yes I did end up fixing this.

TLDR: factory reset the radio unit :(

It seems the radio has memory but the steps don't.

I had the battery disconnected (on purpose) and the steps set to stow in the radio.

When I connected the battery the steps defaulted to auto (per the steps) but the radio still claimed it was in stow.
It seems like the radio was trying to set the steps to auto, but because they were already in auto it claims it can't save, and when I tried to set it to stow even through it already is\was the radio would think it was already set in stow and not bother just accepting the setting.

OB1

Reaction score
Thank you very much. I’ll give that a try.

OB1

Reaction score
This is the only problem I’ve had and was caused by a bad battery. My truck was built on 4/28, took delivery on 5/18 and battery had a dead cell on 6/19. The Uconnect screen screen was flickering like crazy and had to disconnect the battery before it would stop. Definitely don’t want a bad battery on these trucks.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
That's the problems with having all these fancy things that relay on power.
Things were more reliable and basic back in the day, it's a trade off i'm okay on but it's a double edged sword.

Saharajim

Reaction score
Yes I did end up fixing this.

TLDR: factory reset the radio unit :(

It seems the radio has memory but the steps don't.

I had the battery disconnected (on purpose) and the steps set to stow in the radio.

When I connected the battery the steps defaulted to auto (per the steps) but the radio still claimed it was in stow.
It seems like the radio was trying to set the steps to auto, but because they were already in auto it claims it can't save, and when I tried to set it to stow even through it already is\was the radio would think it was already set in stow and not bother just accepting the setting.
Just found this exact issue on my 2022 limited and the factory reset worked for me too.

Users who are viewing this thread