5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Power Side Step Safety Retract?

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I apologize if this has been asked before. I did search for it and looked in the manual but came up empty. Possibly didn't use the right combo of terms.

When my power side steps auto deploy, if they hit something will they automatically stop and retract? At times I can see being close to things (such as my basketball pole in the driveway) and wondered if it runs into something, will it bounce back, kind of like a garage door sensing something in the way.

Similarly, let's say I just got out of the truck and my side steps are still deployed momentarily after I shut the door. I notice something on top of my truck and decide like a fool to step on my deployed side to check it out. Will it still attempt to shut and trap my foot/leg, or does it sense the weight and stay deployed?

I would think there would be some safety measures built in, but couldn't find anything specifically on this.

bonebro

Reaction score
Safety is built in unlike my past f150

cotonymopar

Reaction score
so does that mean it stays out if it senses weight or doesn't deploy if it hits something?
I know that the AMP Research ones do, they will try, and if they hit resistance, they are to go the opposite way... so if they get something stuck, maybe a leg, or ice, whatever, they will not burn out a motor... I would assume the Mopar ones would, as they act the same as the AMP Research ones...

J4U

Reaction score
Mine came with the factory power running boards and will stop if it senses something deploying. I've been too close a couple times when opening a door and it doesn't take much resistance to have them reverse direction.

I imagine they wouldn't retract if much weight was on them either, but haven't tested that.

Users who are viewing this thread