5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Power Side Step repair

Thumbs5th

Reaction score
I learned the lesson about deploying the power step in the auto wash- don't do it. The driver's side step broke off. The front bracket, with the motor, had one of the two arms break and the rear had both break. Fortunately the rear is a passive bracket and the assembly is "only" about $180. The front/motor bracket is about $350+. The local welder was able to repair it for $60. During the disassembly/repair we had to loosen the 10mm bolt which indexes/holds the motor drive shaft to the bracket assembly.
When it comes time to reassemble there are several things which can go wrong:
1) The brackets can apparently be slightly misaligned and cause the system to bind. I had to loosen all 6 nuts and get the system working properly then tighten them, checking after each bracket/bolt to make sure it wasn't binding the system.
2) The 10mm bolt is a bugger to get re-indexed. If it is in the wrong location and tightened the system will not work properly. I had to loosen it quite a bit to get the motor to run without faults. I would run the step out ("deploy") and snug the bolt down a bit then close the door and manually assist the step to retract. Hold it in place and tighten the 10mm some more. Repeat until it is tight enough to operate properly then snug it down. No idea on the torque for any of it.

Cheers.

Reverse

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. My steps sometimes don't retract until well after I have driven out of my garage. I try to remember to listen for the retraction before I drive out, but sometimes forget. Murphy's law will probably someday strike :p and leave me where you were after the car wash.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
That's good information for anyone who might need to repair/replace those brackets. I've read about other people doing the same thing and ripping their steps off. It has never occurred to me to deploy the steps in the car wash. Just curious as to why you would do this?

Lungs414

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips. My brothers got ripped off, driver side I ordered new ones for him and they arrived after about 2 weeks. The front with the motor was the wrong one. Apparently on back order for about a month. What sucks is Mopar doesn't sell only the bracket for the front motor installed bracket. I found out after I removed it that the wrong one was sent. Called the dealer and he said Mopar only sells it that way. Like you said about $350, and another month wait. Now a 35% restocking charge and shipping cost to send back.

Lungs414

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. My steps sometimes don't retract until well after I have driven out of my garage. I try to remember to listen for the retraction before I drive out, but sometimes forget. Murphy's law will probably someday strike :p and leave me where you were after the car wash.
Thats what my brother said happened to him. It hit a curb and snapped right off.

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Curious…I wonder if there is a way to adjust delay on them to make it shorter.

I never had them, but I know by seeing them, it takes a good 5-10 seconds delay after the last door is closed. Wonder if your can just make it retract as soon as the last door is closed.

2022 Big Horn Back Country
6/14…order placed
6/24…D status and Vin

2016 Dodge Charger scat pack and my wife 2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

I never had them, but I know by seeing them, it takes a good 5-10 seconds delay after the last door is closed. Wonder if your can just make it retract as soon as the last door is closed.

6/14…order placed
6/24…D status and Vin

It's a 5 second delay. There's nothing in U Connect to adjust the delay but maybe it can be shortened with AlfaOBD. @Jimmy07 would know.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score

6/14…order placed
6/24…D status and Vin

I'm fine with the delay. Not sure I'd want them retracting any faster than the 5 or so seconds they take now. There are many times that I will close the door, either when exiting or entering, realize I forgot something, and open the door again (getting old sucks LOL). I'd prefer to have the step stay deployed than go through extra cycles of retracting and deploying to cut down a little on wear during my moments of forgetfulness.

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm fine with the delay. Not sure I'd want them retracting any faster than the 5 or so seconds they take now. There are many times that I will close the door, either when exiting or entering, realize I forgot something, and open the door again (getting old sucks LOL). I'd prefer to have the step stay deployed than go through extra cycles of retracting and deploying to cut down a little on wear during my moments of forgetfulness.

Agreed, I frequently have to get something out of the back seat and also like that they stay deployed while I go from closing the front door to opening the rear door.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Just curious do you guys let the Bendix drive on the starter have time to fully disengage before passing through 45 MPH?
I was kind of thinking the same thing. How fast are people taking off after closing the door? LOL

The steps are usually fully retracted by the time I get my seat belt on after closing the door. Even if I have them manually deployed, they retract the instant I put the truck in gear.

Reverse

Reaction score
I was kind of thinking the same thing. How fast are people taking off after closing the door? LOL

The steps are usually fully retracted by the time I get my seat belt on after closing the door. Even if I have them manually deployed, they retract the instant I put the truck in gear.
My steps work like that. 95% of the time they retract normally. Sometimes they don't. I think it happens if I get in, start the truck and the booting of the electronics coincides with the timeout of the steps. In that case, they stay out for much longer.

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've had mine stay out for quite a bit of time. I jumped into my truck, turned it on, put it in reverse, scream at the dogs for getting in my way, back up, put it in drive and pull up to the front gate which is about a block away and then I hear it retract. Scared the crap out of me too as I didn't expect to hear that noise at that time.

Users who are viewing this thread