5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Power running boards

Dalekoven

Reaction score
Anybody know how to manually power up the runningboards to retract them? It’s a five wire hook up. Does anybody know which one is positive and which one is negative to retract the boards?

U

User_3336

Anybody know how to manually power up the runningboards to retract them? It’s a five wire hook up. Does anybody know which one is positive and which one is negative to retract the boards?
That's too much of an open-ended question for anyone to even tackle.

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have power running boards and looking for a way to have them retracted when in gear. I can retract them in park - but not in neutral or any other gear.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Need to know what brand power running boards you have.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have power running boards and looking for a way to have them retracted when in gear. I can retract them in park - but not in neutral or any other gear.
Sounds like a bad install.

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sounds like a bad install.
Really? Ordered and delivered brand new. If I am in gear say stopped at a light, should I be able to retract the steps and drive with them down? I've only been able to get them down when I am in park and hit the button and then turn the truck off....so they stay deployed while parked as mild 'protection'.

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
You cannot DEPLOY the factory power steps while the truck is moving. That is asking for trouble!

Deploying the steps pushes them away from the truck. Retracting the steps brings them back tight to the truck.

If you have the 12" screen then you should have a soft button to deploy or retract the steps. This can only be done in park as the steps are only designed to assist getting in and out of the truck. They can also serve as a small deterrent for door dings from vehicles that are lower to the ground.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Really? Ordered and delivered brand new. If I am in gear say stopped at a light, should I be able to retract the steps and drive with them down? I've only been able to get them down when I am in park and hit the button and then turn the truck off....so they stay deployed while parked as mild 'protection'.
Retract means to being then in close to body.

And why would you want the steps down while driving?

Users who are viewing this thread