5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Power running boards?

Reaction score
This is my first Ram with power running boards and I am curious how fast they generally deploy? I don't have a previous Ram to base off, but when I open the drivers' door I am able to step up into seat before the board is fully deployed. I have caught myself a couple times stepping on the board and pushing it down before full deployment. I would prefer to turn them off but my wife appreciates them greatly. Does anyone have similiar problems or is the running board motor slowing down?

2bigalow

Reaction score
factory installed? You might have an issue. I have aftermarket AMP steps on my truck and they deploy immediately upon opening the door.

Reaction score
factory installed? You might have an issue. I have aftermarket AMP steps on my truck and they deploy immediately upon opening the door.
They are factory installed. I should have mentioned they do deploy right when door is open, but seem slow, it very well could be me jumping in truck too quickly...

cleandirt

Reaction score
Mine are factory installed, I haven’t had any issues with the deployment speed. Perhaps I wait on them to deploy before I step up but it happens fast enough that I don’t really think about it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bankr

Reaction score
It took a few times for me to adjust my speed of stepping out of the truck to ensure they’re fully deployed. It’s maybe a second slower than my foot came out…but they do deploy as soon as that door starts to open. i love them…

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This is my first Ram with power running boards and I am curious how fast they generally deploy? I don't have a previous Ram to base off, but when I open the drivers' door I am able to step up into seat before the board is fully deployed. I have caught myself a couple times stepping on the board and pushing it down before full deployment. I would prefer to turn them off but my wife appreciates them greatly. Does anyone have similiar problems or is the running board motor slowing down?
Maybe back 'er down on the coffee intake? :coffee::ROFLMAO:. Or, more likely you're a younger guy and can move faster than me!

But seriously, I see your point, although at 55yo I don't mind waiting the slight bit for full deployment. I tend to have more of a problem waiting when I'm exiting the truck...sometimes step onto the board before fully deployed. I do wish there were an option for L/R controls in Uconnect.

That all said, I LOVE the PRB's...

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
yes you are correct...these are by far the slooooowest deploying running boards in the industry. One of the very few complaints I have about my Limited. The ones on Ford Expeditions are fully out before the door handle is.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Maybe back 'er down on the coffee intake? :coffee::ROFLMAO:. Or, more likely you're a younger guy and can move faster than me!

But seriously, I see your point, although at 55yo I don't mind waiting the slight bit for full deployment. I tend to have more of a problem waiting when I'm exiting the truck...sometimes step onto the board before fully deployed. I do wish there were an option for L/R controls in Uconnect.

That all said, I LOVE the PRB's...
^^^ This ^^^

TexasDrone

Reaction score
I’m 50 and I would sometimes do the same but have learned to just slow my roll and wait another second or two to get in the truck. They still work, roll out smooth and quiet and I’m ok to just waiting.

2019 RAM 3500 Longhorn Megacab
2021 RAM 3500 Blackout Megacab
2019 OpenRange 3X427BHS
2020 Jayco NorthPoint 382FL
2021 Luxe Elite 42FL
2022 Grand Design Solitude 380FL-R

ChrisID

Reaction score
It took a few times for me to adjust my speed of stepping out of the truck to ensure they’re fully deployed. It’s maybe a second slower than my foot came out…but they do deploy as soon as that door starts to open. i love them…
My experience as well. About 1 extra second to wait in and out. My brain has almost adjusted to it after a year of ownership. I like them.
I have another Ram without power boards, and I put Dominator D6 boards on it. I generally don't like boards because of how far most of them stick out, so the D6's were pretty narrow and like them too.
I think overall I like the power boards more now.

jloops

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If I’m in a hurry like running in the rain I sometimes find myself stepping on the boards before they’re fully deployed. I had Amp boards on my previous Rams and those moved fast never had an issue with those getting down before I stepped on them no matter how fast I was moving. My brother has an F150 Platinum and his boards move super slow. He always comments about how much faster mine deploy.

Users who are viewing this thread