5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Power Running Boards

mechanic_84

Reaction score
Which after market running boards are best? I have been thinking about the AMP Research Powerstep Extreme

Flynbanjo

Reaction score
I just installed a set of BRP Stealth. They were easy to install. One sensor was bad. Called the factory and they were extremely helpful. Sent out a new sensor the same day. Good service.

Papabear_08

Reaction score
I just installed my amp research steps 2 days ago and I love them. I got the plug and play kit that connects to the obd port. It was easy to install but it took me just over 5 hours by myself without a vehicle lift.

jrw921

Reaction score
I just had my AMP Research steps installed. So far so good, BUT the PCM module that is plugged into the OBD II hangs down below the bottom of the dash and is visible. Not a big deal, but wondering if that is the correct install. Thanks

dearchristopher

Reaction score
I just had my AMP Research steps installed. So far so good, BUT the PCM module that is plugged into the OBD II hangs down below the bottom of the dash and is visible. Not a big deal, but wondering if that is the correct install. Thanks

yes that is technically “correct”.

the obd2 port just sits in a plastic bracket with a couple clips. you can push those clips in, and push the obd2 port up into the kick panel area. this is what i did. i hooked up my steps to an obd2 splitter, and zip tied out of the way. the footwell looks cleaner, i have an open obd2 port, and i dont hit my knee or shin on the harness. haha

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jrw921

Reaction score
Makes sense, thanks for the tip. I will look at adding a splitter. It is probably a good idea to have the OBD II port available for diagnostics anyways so a splitter makes perfect sense. I assume the splitter would be visible also unless you unclip the port and move it up as you suggested, right?

jrw921

Reaction score
Just had another thought. My truck came with one of those shady GPS units installed by the dealership without disclosure. Well, that thing expires next month and I am thinking about yanking it out of there but was wondering if it is powered by the OBD II port as well. If so, then the dealership probably has already added a splitter for that purpose. Right?
Any ideas on how those units are powered? No reason to buy another splitter if there is already one there.

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
just curious...have you considered the Mopar PRB's? I got mine on sale and installed myself. Wiring was a bit of a job, but the long term benefits outweigh the effort a lot in my humble opinion. I LOVE being able to control via the Uconnect screen.

1ramrunner

Reaction score
How much did you pay? I am considering ordering a Limited, but do not want power running boards. I wish there was a way to delete them.

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anyone have issues with the factory running boards freezing up in winter (ice, etc)? Or just problems in general?

Users who are viewing this thread