5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Power running boards not on UConnect

reggiefl

Reaction score
I purchased my 2020 RAM 1500 Laramie back in September, the one they had on the lot had all the options I wanted except for the power running boards. I was able to negociate in the price the install of running boards. A week later the dealer called me and I got an appointment to install the power running boards. They work great, no issue. I just found out that there is an icon on UConnect where you can switch the running boards on/off and in the settings there is a button to store them or auto deploy. But I can't find any of these controls, I carefully looked at all the screens, is this because it was not installed at the factory? do I need a software update of UConnect? I just check on driveuconnect.com/software-u and after entering my VIN it says my UConnect is up to date. Any suggestion?

Bluesurf

Reaction score
If they are after market they won't be in Uconnect. The brands Aries , Amp Research, Rough Country, and several more are all after market products. (china) When you negotiated did you specify only OEM factory parts? This possibly may be your situation. If it is factory OEM the Dealer may have forgotten to update your Uconnect for this feature. Start with your Salesman.

reggiefl

Reaction score
If they are after market they won't be in Uconnect. The brands Aries , Amp Research, Rough Country, and several more are all after market products. (china) When you negotiated did you specify only OEM factory parts? This possibly may be your situation. If it is factory OEM the Dealer may have forgotten to update your Uconnect for this feature. Start with your Salesman.
Thanks, YES they are OEM parts installed at my dealership. I will ask my dealer on my next visit. I wish it's something I could do mysefl, I have the 12 inch UConnect screen.

ExtinctBird

Reaction score
The option that I have on my 12" UConnect is on the same half-screen along with the seat coolers and surround view camera. It simply allows me to deploy the steps without opening the door or retract them.

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
You can take care of it yourself if you have AlfaOBD. There are 3 areas you need to change. They will give you the option for the soft key in the Controls section to deploy or retract the Mopar power boards, give you a settings options for automatic or stow, and lastly have a screen that displays in your gauge cluster showing the status of the boards.

Let me know if you need help with the items that need to be changed in AlfaOBD. If not then the installer at the dealership skipped the first step in the directions which shows the sales code (MR7) they were supposed to enter.

Last edited:

reggiefl

Reaction score
The option that I have on my 12" UConnect is on the same half-screen along with the seat coolers and surround view camera. It simply allows me to deploy the steps without opening the door or retract them.
I looked and it's not there, probably the dealer skipped that step to update my UConnect firmware.

reggiefl

Reaction score
You can take care of it yourself if you have AlfaOBD. There are 3 areas you need to change. They will give you the option for the soft key in the Controls section to deploy or retract the Mopar power boards, give you a settings options for automatic or stow, and lastly have a screen that displays in your gauge cluster showing the status of the boards.

Let me know if you need help with the items that need to be changed in AlfaOBD. If not then the installer at the dealership skipped the first step in the directions which shows the sales code (MR7) they were supposed to enter.
Interesting, I'm still new to the RAM, but I've played before with OBD settings on my 2002 Audi S4. Would you recommend using Android or PC? USB or Bluetooth? thanks.

reggiefl

Reaction score
I've been able to use an android phone and bluetooth connection for the small changes I have done.
I looked it up, the Android software is $49 and the BT dongle is $99. For my 2020 do I need some other cable? or is this for tire size change, also I read a PIN is required for tire size change (not that I need it now), just asking.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
dont bother with a mx+. get a $12 elm237. works exactly the same.

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
I looked it up, the Android software is $49 and the BT dongle is $99. For my 2020 do I need some other cable? or is this for tire size change, also I read a PIN is required for tire size change (not that I need it now), just asking.
You'll need a security gateway bypass too. This is the one that I use, but there are other brands out there as well.

Jtt2015

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if I ordered the stuff I need to use the alfaobd software.

1. Obd2 scanner

2. security bypass cable: this cable has 2 ends. One end has a 12-pin and 8-pin connector, the other end looks as if it connects to the obd2 scanner

3. AlfaOBD software

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score

You can also set them to auto deploy/retract in the settings menu D136B011-47A0-41E1-9C22-C17ED5DB382C.png

Imaso001

Reaction score
I purchased my 2020 RAM 1500 Laramie back in September, the one they had on the lot had all the options I wanted except for the power running boards. I was able to negociate in the price the install of running boards. A week later the dealer called me and I got an appointment to install the power running boards. They work great, no issue. I just found out that there is an icon on UConnect where you can switch the running boards on/off and in the settings there is a button to store them or auto deploy. But I can't find any of these controls, I carefully looked at all the screens, is this because it was not installed at the factory? do I need a software update of UConnect? I just check on driveuconnect.com/software-u and after entering my VIN it says my UConnect is up to date. Any suggestion?
We must have the same dealer! I had mine installed yesterday and when I got home to fart around with them I noticed none of the controls were available on the screen. I'll be heading back today for them to input the code. Other than that they work and look great. Definitely worth the investment.

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Guys, take your trucks back to the dealer and have them flash the sales code in. It is on the first page of the install instructions and even gives the specific sales code to program. Only a dealer can do this and have it be made permanent, tied to your VIN, and then the labor would be warrantied as such. AND...you paid for it already!!!

Imaso001

Reaction score
Update on my running board controls. The issue seemed to resolve itself. The truck sat overnight and when I went out to start it this morning, the truck displayed the running board status between the gauges and I had the soft key in the control menu and the Auto/Stow selection in the driving and safety menu. Not sure why those weren't available when I picked the vehicle up the day prior, but it all works now!

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Update on my running board controls. The issue seemed to resolve itself. The truck sat overnight and when I went out to start it this morning, the truck displayed the running board status between the gauges and I had the soft key in the control menu and the Auto/Stow selection in the driving and safety menu. Not sure why those weren't available when I picked the vehicle up the day prior, but it all works now!
Oh yeah, I should have also mentioned that it takes two or three full power on/off cycles to show up in your Uconnect screen. Oops.

MN5241

Reaction score
I had them installed today as well on my 2019 laramie, I got in and noticed the soft button wasn't there so I asked them. They said they flashed it, the accessories guy said he did it himself. Perhaps I need to wait the overnight to see if it shows up like others are saying.

MN5241

Reaction score
I had them installed today as well on my 2019 laramie, I got in and noticed the soft button wasn't there so I asked them. They said they flashed it, the accessories guy said he did it himself. Perhaps I need to wait the overnight to see if it shows up like others are saying.
Update to this, allegedly there is a specific problem with a certain run of the 12" screen that is not properly taking update. They said Q3 there would be a fix for this. They did a full relearn and flash and I still don't see the options but I'm hopeful they will show up now after a few ignition cycles. If not maybe the update fixes it, and if not that the dealer offered to put in a killswitch.

Users who are viewing this thread