5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Power running board motor failure

muzikmafiatim

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Limited with factory installed power running boards. Never had any issues.....worked flawlessly. Truck has 42k on it. Came out of work a few days ago and the drivers side running board sounded like there was gravel in the bearings. Up til that moment....never had any issues or unusual sounds from them. I have the Ram extended maximum care plan. The dealer said that it wasn't covered and it would be $1200 to fix. I told they serviceman that it should be covered since it was part of the factory package that came with the Limited. He said he tried to run it through and it was rejected. After I left the dealer , one of the parts managers realized that they were trying to run a part number for the entire assembly ...not just the motor. So they tried to order just the motor for the running board, and that was covered. Of course it is backordered for a month, but at least it won't cost me 1200.00.

So if you have the same issue....have them order just the motor...not the whole assembly .

I see you can order them online for around 300.00 so not the end of the world if you don't have the extended warranty.

Rammmer

Reaction score
That's why I got a bumper to bumper maxcare warranty with the limited. These parts are absurdly expensive.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
$1200 sounds right to replace, the entire running board lol.

I think the OEM set of power running boards is like $2200-2400 new? So $1200 a side + installation?

Sucks you needed to convince them to fix under warranty for an OEM part.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Mopar Power Running Boards can be purchased for about $1400 for a set. Assuming the dealer could get a single board for $700, $500 is a bit steep for installation.

It's sad that a dealer doesn't know the motor could be replaced.

Users who are viewing this thread