5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Power Running Board Lighting

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is exactly what I would like to do! There are puddle lights on the side mirrors however, they are quite ineffective.
Could you let us know who the OP is? Maybe they would be able to provide us more detail in this mod.
That looks sweet!

SplAgtDY

Reaction score
When you install the boards, you have to run the wiring harness, which crosses over to the passenger side but enters on the driver's. Add your additional wire for lighting to that harness before running it and enter and connect everything on the driver's side.
You can grab the cargo light trigger right at the driver's side sill plate, and the lights will then illuminate with all other entry lights.

I also am trying to wire lights on a running board, can you please advise the wire colors for the cargo light trigger (or courtesy lights) and running lights in the driver side sill plate "channel" ?

geotex1

Reaction score
I also am trying to wire lights on a running board, can you please advise the wire colors for the cargo light trigger (or courtesy lights) and running lights in the driver side sill plate "channel" ?

White wire with tan tracer. Probe to confirm. It's low amp. If you changed your cargo lamps in the CHMSL housing, you can power some low draw LEDs direct. Otherwise use it to trigger a relay that's supplied with battery +12VDC.

Cmoar

Reaction score
Wiring the LEDs to the cargo light is super easy. There are a couple smaller 22 gauge wires in the loom that are also white with a tan tracer. Look for the larger 18 gauge, there is only one. Make sure you calculate your amp draw, and go the the next size in-line fuse. (4.3a=5a fuse)

The nice part is anytime you unlock your doors or open the door the lights will come on until it closes back.

RAMRhode

Reaction score
Wiring the LEDs to the cargo light is super easy. There are a couple smaller 22 gauge wires in the loom that are also white with a tan tracer. Look for the larger 18 gauge, there is only one. Make sure you calculate your amp draw, and go the the next size in-line fuse. (4.3a=5a fuse)

The nice part is anytime you unlock your doors or open the door the lights will come on until it closes back.
I guess I am having trouble wrapping this in my brain.
What I would like is to have activation of a board and light with its corresponding side. IE: I open the driver side, that bed side deploys with light illuminated. Nothing on passenger side happens unless, those doors are opened. And vice versa.
Is there the same white/tan tracer (cargo wire) on the passenger side so that the running board lights are dependent on their respective side opening and closing of each side doors?

geotex1

Reaction score
I guess I am having trouble wrapping this in my brain.
What I would like is to have activation of a board and light with its corresponding side. IE: I open the driver side, that bed side deploys with light illuminated. Nothing on passenger side happens unless, those doors are opened. And vice versa.
Is there the same white/tan tracer (cargo wire) on the passenger side so that the running board lights are dependent on their respective side opening and closing of each side doors?

No, as you observe in the current state, with your truck, all courtesy lights come on with any door. The circuits and control module are set up this way. Further, the control module on both factory and the aftermarket like factory powered steps deploy both steps regardless of door opened.

What you want could be done, but if you are not versed in automotive electrical systems, it may not be something you can successfully tackle.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Further, the control module on both factory and the aftermarket like factory powered steps deploy both steps regardless of door opened.
I’m confused by this statement, as the factory steps only deploy on the side where a door is opened.

geotex1

Reaction score
I’m confused by this statement, as the factory steps only deploy on the side where a door is opened.

I thought so as well, until I installed a set. It could be that the Mopar kit behaves differently, or it's a revision level thing. However, the set I installed over the past two weekends with a buddy has both sides deploying regardless of door opened. I know I test drove a Limited back in October where it was the side opened with the door. It's totally doable to control side to side by using the trigger for the door ajar, and it could be to simplify the bolt-on kit install they don't do this. The Limited harnesses seem to be a bit different as well. Like I said, all doable, but more advanced... I have a box sitting back home for me with the Mopar steps for my own Laramie, and will see if there's a difference when I get to them. I am doing lighting because my wife has night blindness.

Nevertheless, the courtesy light circuit is not separated.

RAMRhode

Reaction score
No, as you observe in the current state, with your truck, all courtesy lights come on with any door. The circuits and control module are set up this way. Further, the control module on both factory and the aftermarket like factory powered steps deploy both steps regardless of door opened.

What you want could be done, but if you are not versed in automotive electrical systems, it may not be something you can successfully tackle.
On the contrary, with my factory steps, they are indeed independent from each side. (Driver open, step deployed...passenger remains in home position. And vice versa. Cargo lights and both puddle lights do come on though in each scenario.
So maybe there’s another power source to tap other than cargo to achieve this goal. But as others have said, tapping each running board might not be a constant power source. And as you mentioned earlier, to just tap everything on driver side cargo, this seems to be easiest.

davidn0021

Reaction score
On the contrary, with my factory steps, they are indeed independent from each side. (Driver open, step deployed...passenger remains in home position. And vice versa. Cargo lights and both puddle lights do come on though in each scenario.
So maybe there’s another power source to tap other than cargo to achieve this goal. But as others have said, tapping each running board might not be a constant power source. And as you mentioned earlier, to just tap everything on driver side cargo, this seems to be easiest.

I have an electrician friend who's agreed to do this lighting mod for me as long as I take my kids camping with his kids. LOL

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That was my point; my factory steps operate independently. Agreed that this means there’s an independent trigger.

RAMRhode

Reaction score
That was my point; my factory steps operate independently. Agreed that this means there’s an independent trigger.
Yeah, seen that after I posted....you typed faster than me! :) In wanting to make sure I went out to check and didn’t notice that you had said the same until after I posted my reply. great forum and members here! Learning so much!

JBeckman

Reaction score
I have the amp boards and both sides led light up. Seems to have 1 trigger from its module. It would be nice to have only the side deployed to illuminate, but in the closed position, the light emitting from between board and rocker is barely anything. Definitely not enough to warrant a rewire for independent triggers.

Cmoar

Reaction score
From The wire diagrams I’ve seen there is a trigger wire you run into the cab, and a constant 12v (ie red and black to battery). The question would be, on the Mopar steps are there 2 trigger wires R and L. If so, you could tap it and install a relay controlling the lights independently. It would actually be very simple. Unfortunately, I have not seen the Mopar steps wire diagram, only the Amp steps.

jmac

Reaction score
those of you that did run the lights, how did you run the wiring to the lights. I have the live wire completed but got stuck on routing the wire from the door sill plate down to whee the lights go?

braggster

Reaction score
You can grab the cargo light trigger right at the driver's side sill plate, and the lights will then illuminate with all other entry lights.
Problem I see with using that wire is that the running board lights would also come on when you turn the bed light on correct?

Myfirstgoat

Reaction score
I am considering running board courtesy lights. I am a little unclear about using the white and tan wire. Do I need a separate constant 12v source for the led running board bars or can the white and tan wire handle the extra draw from the led light bars at the running boards.

braggster

Reaction score
I am considering running board courtesy lights. I am a little unclear about using the white and tan wire. Do I need a separate constant 12v source for the led running board bars or can the white and tan wire handle the extra draw from the led light bars at the running boards.
I ran my power wire inside my front drivers door and tapped into the puddle light wire. That way the lights only come on when I open the doors. Sometimes the lights flicker when I open the doors (not all the time) so I need to investigate that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/