5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Power port under rear seat?

Zogg44

Reaction score
I want to store my battery booster pack under the rear seat for just such an emergency, and keep it plugged in so it will always be fully charged. My other vehicles have a power port in the trunk or cargo area, but my Limited doesn't seem to have one under the rear seat for this type of use.

Just wondering if anyone else has done this type of mod? Is there a good place to tap into power without having to run wires up to the front fuse panel?

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Look between the cab and bed. There's a harness that goes back for the lights. You may be able to tap that. You could also try the seats if you have power seats or the doors if you have ambient. Not sure if they are constant 12v. Do you have the center console? Does it have the 110v outlet? The harness is there even on trucks without it afaik.

Hope you have trim removal tools and a lot of time.

Zogg44

Reaction score
Look between the cab and bed. There's a harness that goes back for the lights. You may be able to tap that. You could also try the seats if you have power seats or the doors if you have ambient. Not sure if they are constant 12v. Do you have the center console? Does it have the 110v outlet? The harness is there even on trucks without it afaik.

Hope you have trim removal tools and a lot of time.
I do have the center console so I guess that's the best place to tap in. I'll get to it one of these days. Thanks.

sparkygreen

Reaction score
I think you would be best to add a small power inverter under the rear seat. Tapping into factory wires likely wont support the amperage required to run an inverter, but maybe its not so much for a battery tender, not sure?

I would run a 10G/8Ga fused power wire from the battery back to under the rear seat. You can easily go through existing grommet in firewall and then through kick panel and door sills all the way to behind the rear seat.

If you have non-etorque model there is a ground lug under the drivers side rear seat as well. Very convenient.

Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread