5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

power outlet placement wish

wrcrallysport

Reaction score
I wish they would put a 12v outlet in the overhead console area so that I can plug in a dash cam with out having the wire hanging. I dont want to hard wire it because I like to switch vehicles and dont want to buy multiple cams.

Jcalton

Reaction score
Does the cord unplug from the cam? Maybe you can buy a second cord, then run/hide the cord down the A pillar in both cars?
If not, could always cut the factory cord and add on quick connectors like a small 2 pin molex style. Then you could hardwire on one side and just plug in the quick disconnect.

Doing that you could also keep the factory 12v plug and put a connector on it to use if in a car you dont normally drive like a rental or something.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

derp

Reaction score
theres a 12v line right up in the headliner near the rear view mirror assembly for many of us. Folks have tapped into that circuit for dashcams without snaking all the way back to the fusebox.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
:unsure: I am a little confused. If they did suddenly grant your wish, how would that help you? You'd still be stuck with the same crappy truck missing the power outlet. But thanks for looking out for the future Ram buyers :p

On a serious note, I think you can do the 12v tap that's mentioned above and make your own. Me, I would probably just buy a second camera. That sounds simpler than going through the upper console work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online