5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Power in the bed

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
I have one of those 12V refrigerators and I'd like to be able to plug it in in the bed. I gave thought to running a dedicated line from the fuse block back into the bed and finishing it with a 12V plug or some Anderson powerpoles. But who wants to string heavy wires the length of the truck? So... one of these Tees that go into the backside of the trailer plugin. I found a great price on one here. $27.94! And it's pretty good quality, one plug even says Delphi on it.

Which still leaves the question of how to finish it. Cut holes in the sheet metal? Pigtail with powerpoles, or pigtail with lighter socket? Or leave the 7way on it, so as to have easy access to stop lights should I ever add a shell. Then I saw this. Turns a trailer plug into a 12V socket.

The stuff arrived today, I plugged it all together and it will work. My hesitation comes with cutting a hole in the bed. The obvious spot is right where I normally have my cargo bar. Mounting it higher, so it will be above the stuff sliding around, puts it behind the cargo rail. That won't do. It would be really easy to snip the wires and shove it up through an existing hole and the connect a lighter socket. Or dismantle the plug temporarily, thread the wires through, and mount the 7 way on the cargo bar somehow.

Must ruminate more. But I did want to tip people off to the great price on the wiring harness.

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
It is finished.

When I went to the hardware store to buy the Unistrut nuts, I browsed around and found a Simpson Strongtie plate that would work as a mount. I also bought some paint and some black hardware.
Step one, make the strut nuts fit. It took some grinding, but I got them to fit and rotate into place without removing the rail. I didn't need the spring, but that's what they had in small quantities.
DSC05831.JPG

DSC05832.JPG

I did some cutting and drilling on the metal plate. I gave it some spatter paint I had to match the bed liner then hit it with flat black.

DSC05830.JPG

The hardest part was popping the cap loose enough to drill the holes in the top rail. I glued it with some silicon both to prevent rust and prevent squeaks later, in addition to the pop rivets.

DSC05833.JPG

Rather than drill a giant hole, I disassembled the plug to facilitate threading the wires through the existing hole. Ask a crafty woman for a T pin. Paper clips aren't stiff enough, IMHO. I had to weasel it through in two bundles. The clothes hanger wire was used to fish the strings through that I actually taped to the wires.

DSC05835.JPG

I didn't take any pictures showing underneath, and I don't feel like wrestling the tools out to drop the spare again to take pictures now. But it's all up out of the way and it's clear of the spare tire mechanism.

And the final result.
DSC05838.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread