5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Power Folding Mirrors hit windows EDIT: I stand corrected, they don't

payd_in_full

Reaction score
Just took delivery of my new RAM 1500 Limited about a month ago, when I fold the mirrors in, they don't stop until after hitting the front windows and you can hear the motors whine for a second because they are being strained from making contact. They fold in and out no problem but I am concerned that after repeated use the motor will get wiped out from the strain and eventually end up making marks on the mirror housing where its making contact. Anyone able to confirm that theirs makes contact with the windows as well? Any other vehicle I've had with power folding mirrors stopped before hitting anything.

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Several threads about this and how dealerships have handled it both pro and con sadly..

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I thought mine were hitting the windows too, but I closed them with the windows down and they do the same thing. Then I held a piece of paper on the window when closing them and the mirrors did not touch the paper. Are you absolutely sure they are making contact with the windows? BTW...my 2017 Rebel was the same way, which is when I first did this test.

payd_in_full

Reaction score
Thank you all for your input, they are not hitting I was able to slide a piece of paper in between the glass and the mirror but the sound it makes at the end of the travel does not give me that warm fuzzy feeling, especially the way the sort of pop up right before stopping.

RHCan

USAF Retired Vet
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have less then 8500 miles on mine . parked at airport.Power folded the mirrors. Came back 14 hours later. Right mirror no longer fold. left mirror was clicking and jerking. Have no clue what happen. when I took to dealer they seemed to be aware there is an issue.I said I have a issue with my mirrors and the service writer to,d me what the issue was before I could tell him. They ordered new mirrors and installed. My previous Gen4 never had a issue in 7 1/2 years. Maybe just a fluke.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thank you all for your input, they are not hitting I was able to slide a piece of paper in between the glass and the mirror but the sound it makes at the end of the travel does not give me that warm fuzzy feeling, especially the way the sort of pop up right before stopping.
2 years and 21,000 miles and mine have been the same as yours since new. I'm not worried about it. I did the old paper trick long ago and decided it wasn't an issue. However, I would refrain from manually folding or unfolding them ever. I think some owner's have unintentionally caused premature failure by moving the mirrors manually (whether they did it themselves or someone else did it unbeknown to them).

Nickv1214

Reaction score
Mine folded in fine no contact with the window . I put on the window deflectors and now they hit those (n). Not sure what’s taking WeatherTech so long but hopefully they have that all figured out

Psyonic64

Reaction score
RAM cheaped out on the side mirrors. Have had my driver side replaced once, and the passenger side twice. Not yet 8k on the truck. Surprised they didn't address it on the 20's.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
2 years and 21,000 miles and mine have been the same as yours since new. I'm not worried about it. I did the old paper trick long ago and decided it wasn't an issue. However, I would refrain from manually folding or unfolding them ever. I think some owner's have unintentionally caused premature failure by moving the mirrors manually (whether they did it themselves or someone else did it unbeknown to them).
I second your post, 2 years of ownership the end of November, just shy of 20,000 miles, always retract mirrors when parked, refrain from manually moving mirrors. No problems so far.

payd_in_full

Reaction score
RAM cheaped out on the side mirrors. Have had my driver side replaced once, and the passenger side twice. Not yet 8k on the truck. Surprised they didn't address it on the 20's.
Wow that's bad! To me the motor sounds like its being strained anytime it is in operation, guess only time will tell.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I second your post, 2 years of ownership the end of November, just shy of 20,000 miles, always retract mirrors when parked, refrain from manually moving mirrors. No problems so far.
Same.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
We've owned four Ram 1500's with power folding windows, 4th and 5th gens, and they all behaved the same way you've described. And we haven't had any issues with them on any of those trucks. Just enjoy your truck, continue to use the power fold feature, and if something happens with the mirrors they're covered under your warranty.

INVISBLE

Reaction score
Yeh mine just touch the window briefly when power folding them, but end up resting in a non touching position. I am not going to worry about it. As mentioned, covered under warranty and really dont care.

Users who are viewing this thread