5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Power folding mirrors & Car Wash

Schatzy

Reaction score
Hey Guys & gals - new to the forum but long time Ram owner. Had an unusual thing happen today and thought I would pass it along.

Bought my 2019 Limited 3 weeks ago. Took it through the local brushless car wash. This is the type with the arm that goes around the vehicle spraying water. Been to this car wash numerous times and the arm cleared the mirrors without folding them. Today was really cold and a vehicle in front had just left. Car wash was completely fogged - I could barely see the sign to stop pulling ahead. I guess I pulled in crooked because damn the spray arm hit my passenger mirror. I hear a thunk and see my mirror bent forward - did I just break off a mirror. Ran it through a couple of folding cycles and it returned to normal. Checked it at home and no damage.

Checked both mirrors and they easily pushed forward with out damaging anything. Don't know if the factory intended this but I'm sure glad it worked this way. My fault for not folding the mirrors but glad to know the mirror can manually swing forward with no damage.

Thought I would mention for everyone's info - don't know if this is just the power folding mirrors or not.

LincolnSixAlpha

Reaction score
Be honest with you, I hate that type. I relocated to Phoenix a few years back from Philly, and while I used more than a few of these types of washes back east, as far as I can tell, I've not run across one of those types of washes here on the west coast. Anyhow, I did go through automated type washes, where the car is drug along the length of the wash, and my mirrors, on the one side, were flipped forward. As to your point, it easily flipped back. So a pretty nice feature anyhow, as opposed to a broken mirror which would be quite costly, no doubt.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They are designed to Break Away to avoid damage from car washes, other cars that park to close, people walking into them etc...

Users who are viewing this thread