5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Powder Coat - Anyone with experience / advice?

stevekucz

Reaction score
Hi all!

I got my truck in September & I'm at a point where I've done everything I want except for wheels.

I was originally stuck on doing new wheels/tires/possibly a level kit.

I've come to realize I like the stock look, I just wish the wheels were satin black or gunmetal to go better with my scheme.

I called a local shop & they will powder coat all 4 wheels for $850.

I'm heavily leaning toward doing this, but I'm hoping the community here can share their insight with me.

To anyone who has experience with powder coating & the results -- can you please share the good / the bad / the ugly?

Pics of my truck attached for reference!

Thank you all in advance

Attachments

• IMG_3660 (1).jpg
    IMG_3660 (1).jpg
    217.9 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_4488.jpg
    IMG_4488.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 48

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have an Eastwood PC kit and do any and everything that will fit in my oven. Frames, sway bars, etc, I take to a shop.

PC is an excellent and durable option. $850 seems pretty high for wheels, but maybe it's your location. Over the summer I had my 66 C10 frame blasted and coated for $600. Axle housing was $150 to degrease, blast and satin black.

I can't honestly think of any negatives if you're taking it to a shop. It's a little more work than just rattle canning at home, but just like paint it's mostly about the prep work.

If you like the wheels, go for it, but maybe ask around and get some more quotes if possible.

stevekucz

Reaction score
I have an Eastwood PC kit and do any and everything that will fit in my oven. Frames, sway bars, etc, I take to a shop.

PC is an excellent and durable option. $850 seems pretty high for wheels, but maybe it's your location. Over the summer I had my 66 C10 frame blasted and coated for $600. Axle housing was $150 to degrease, blast and satin black.

I can't honestly think of any negatives if you're taking it to a shop. It's a little more work than just rattle canning at home, but just like paint it's mostly about the prep work.

If you like the wheels, go for it, but maybe ask around and get some more quotes if possible.
Appreciate the insight!!

Yea, I'm in central NJ and the prices on everything seem to be absurd these days...

I really do like the shop thought & they've done great work on the truck so far.

Again, thank you for the info!

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I wouldn't think it should be more than $100-$150 per wheel, max. There are shops around me in Nebraska that will do them for $75 each wheel.

As far the powder coating in general. It's a much better alternative to painting. I used to do all my own coating like Belevedere, but didn't have room in my new garage for my oven. I still have my Craftsman powder coating gun and material, just don't have an oven to bake in anymore.

As mentioned, it's just as much in the prep as the application.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hi all!

I got my truck in September & I'm at a point where I've done everything I want except for wheels.

I was originally stuck on doing new wheels/tires/possibly a level kit.

I've come to realize I like the stock look, I just wish the wheels were satin black or gunmetal to go better with my scheme.

I called a local shop & they will powder coat all 4 wheels for $850.

I'm heavily leaning toward doing this, but I'm hoping the community here can share their insight with me.

To anyone who has experience with powder coating & the results -- can you please share the good / the bad / the ugly?

Pics of my truck attached for reference!

Thank you all in advance
Idea of what it looks like in black.

stevekucz

Reaction score
Idea of what it looks like in black.

Interesting!

Any pics of a truck with those wheels on it that have been PC'd by chance?

Also, I guess my next step is to decide what exact color to PC, etc. -- I'm assuming there's diff shades of black, dark grey, etc?

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I was quoted $1k recently in Maryland for a set of 22’s. It was $100 less than paint. I do believe it has to do with the area I’m in, whether that means they charge what they think they can get away with or they have high overhead costs.

Jako

Reaction score
Interesting!

Also, I guess my next step is to decide what exact color to PC, etc. -- I'm assuming there's diff shades of black, dark grey, etc?
Someone (ebay/craigslist) was redoing these in black for the set. Unfortunately can not locate or remember the price and if it was a swap (craigslist). They are out there somewhere.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting!

Pretty much any color you want can be done with powder coating. The standard colors are obviously cheaper, you can go as far as color matching your paint but that's going to cost a little more. There are also two stage powders that have a base coat and a top coat that will cost more. You can even do masking and different colors/patterns on the same item.

GMetal

Reaction score
Do they offer the same wheels in satin black? If they do Id look for takeoffs. Don't forget your truck will be without wheels for a bit. Transportation of the wheels to the tire shop to be dismounted. Removing the TPMS sensors. Then reassembly and rebalancing the wheels.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Do they offer the same wheels in satin black? If they do Id look for takeoffs. Don't forget your truck will be without wheels for a bit. Transportation of the wheels to the tire shop to be dismounted. Removing the TPMS sensors. Then reassembly and rebalancing the wheels.
Depending on the shopz there are a couple PC shops local to me that have tire machines to dismount/mount the tires in shop. Saves down time.

Jako

Reaction score
Buy a set of BigHorn wheels in the interim - they are everywhere. Could always use them in winter if you are in a salt state. Probably have a problem selling them again, though.

Might also be able to borrow or rent(?) a set from someone who can't sell them.

And for the OP - go gun metal, but I'm happy/bias with the OEM look.

stevekucz

Reaction score
Pretty much any color you want can be done with powder coating. The standard colors are obviously cheaper, you can go as far as color matching your paint but that's going to cost a little more. There are also two stage powders that have a base coat and a top coat that will cost more. You can even do masking and different colors/patterns on the same item.
Interesting -- I def want a basic color; it's going to be a black or a gunmetal type

stevekucz

Reaction score
Thanks for the insight!

I didn't think to ask that.

But the shop did say I need to drop my truck for 3 days, so I'm hoping that means they handle it all in shop.

I'm going to have to call & ask, thanks!

stevekucz

Reaction score
Buy a set of BigHorn wheels in the interim - they are everywhere. Could always use them in winter if you are in a salt state. Probably have a problem selling them again, though.

Might also be able to borrow or rent(?) a set from someone who can't sell them.

And for the OP - go gun metal, but I'm happy/bias with the OEM look.
Definitely don't disagree!

I'm between a satin black or a dark gunmetal type

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm partial to the "technical gray" the Built to Serve wheels come. PXL_20221023_201028259~2.jpg

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm just jealous of that Destroyer Gray. Wish my Rebel was that color.

Users who are viewing this thread