5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Potential new ram owner

Mitchrob85

Reaction score
Hey everyone, this is officially my first post after being a long time lurker (6 months). I will say this site has been super informative in pointing out some of the issues associated with the Ram, but conversely, that there have been some TSBs or fixes. My wife and I bought a brand new 2014 Durango citadel back in 2014 and it has been trouble free for 74k miles (knock on wood), and since we recently built out in the country (amongst other things such as hunting) it's time to get rid of our car and get a new truck. For the price, our Durango was highly optioned compared to other competing SUV manufacturers, and his trend has carried over to the Ram. For around $40k, you can get a decently optioned Laramie; there is no comparison to an f150 or 1500 as similarly optioned trucks are 5-10k more. I test drove a 2020 Ram Laramie, sport package, level 1 equipment group, 3.92 gears, split tailgate and ram boxes (maximum steel metallic) this past weekend and I came away very impressed. My main concern is the leaking rear window/headliner/3rd brake light and the underperforming AC. I tested the AC, and although it's not warm outside, the AC (on Max) seemed pretty cold. As far as the leaks, after searching the forum and reading various posts, it seems this issue mainly impacts 2019s vice the 20s. Is it fair to assume this is the case or am I getting ahead of myself? Thanks in advance for any feedback! With any luck, the salesman I'm working with will tell me the current rebates can be locked in so I can order a new truck. (If the ram I test drove this weekend didn't have the ramboxes, I would have probably pulled the trigger already.

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
welcome , I’m not sure if all the bugs have been worked out on the 2020’s or not , keep in mind the 2019’s were being built early in 2018 so some of those trucks are 2 years old .

dmodem

Reaction score
On the way home from the dealer, stop By Harbor Freight and pick up the $8 hose clamp. Pinch the coolant line to the heater core with it, and you'll enjoy cool A/C. No one will ever know it's there and Ram can continue to ignore the problem.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I'm curious to see some of these $40k Laramies. LOL...Maybe a leftover 2019 here or there. I never saw any 2020 Laramies for under $46k, although I haven't really looked for a couple of months. Even one that was pretty basic (no equipment group, no rambox, no MFT, or most any other option). I ended up paying $50k out the door for my 2020 Laramie, which had a sticker price of just under $60k, but then again it's pretty well equipped.

I have yet to find out how the AC works, since I live in a Northern state. I haven't had any of the other issues that people have complained about though. I'm not holding my breath that they've fixed the AC issue, but I would be surprised if they haven't addressed the others.

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The update that rolled out for the software in late 2019 that changed the blend door proportion seemed to make the A/C colder, but it still isn't ice cold but it works sufficiently and better than it did. As far as the window crack and leak they have produced a new part number that is on order for me and hopefully it fixes that one once and for good. Love the truck besides that and just completed my 7th oil change..(Oil is easy, filter is a pain) still made a mess this time even with the gallon zip lock bag trick. Happy hunting and hope it works out well for you with your deal!

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My A/C works pretty decent in my 2019 and my dad's A/C seems to work fine in his 2020. We both have the rear window frame crack.

Mitchrob85

Reaction score
My A/C works pretty decent in my 2019 and my dad's A/C seems to work fine in his 2020. We both have the rear window frame crack.
Good to hear that about your AC, not so much regarding the rear window.

Icecoldak

Reaction score

Mitchrob85

Reaction score
Dang--Im going to have to buy my Limited from these guys, very good prices, Ill just have to get it shipped!
For sure. It's crazy some ram owners have paid more for big horns than Laramies...just gotta do a little digging and be willing to drive or have a vehicle shipped and you can get a truck at a reasonable price.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For sure. It's crazy some ram owners have paid more for big horns than Laramies...just gotta do a little digging and be willing to drive or have a vehicle shipped and you can get a truck at a reasonable price.
Speaking in just MSRP (no deals, discounts, incentives, etc.) it is easy to pay more for a Big Horn than a Laramie. The base model Laramie is only ~$5K more than the base model Big Horn. There are some standard things in the Laramie that you can't get in the Big Horn at all (leather, memory seat, power passenger seat to name a few that come standard in all Laramies) that account for the additional base price. With only a $5K difference it doesn't take more than a few added options and your Big Horn is going to cost more than a Laramie.

Dang--Im going to have to buy my Limited from these guys, very good prices, Ill just have to get it shipped!
This month is a good time to get a Limited since FCA (www.ramtrucks.com) is pushing the Limited with up to $13K off MSRP to start with.

JustMe

Reaction score
I'm actually at the dealer now but wanted to post a link of the around $40k Laramies in my area:. https://www.holzhauerschryslerdodge...Ram-1500-24fcb4e00a0e0a1766f2e6b9d763af17.htm

I've also seen quite a few at Laura Ram in Missouri at that price.
Thanks for the dealership download . I didn't realize you could OPTION that 2-tone paint . Every time I build one I've chosen the 2-tone from the get-go (not as an option) and the Bumpers appear to be PAINTED the same as the lower billet silver, which is what I prefer ! I've yet to see one at any of my local dealers (2) in 2-tone or any other color than black for the Interior .
I also haven't seen a dealer lot DT of any model with the MFT ? I thought they changed the "name" to DFT - more selective of the 2 modes of operation (multi implies 3 or more in my book!). ?

ps; they keep changing the "rules," so to speak, on what options become mandatory if you want "other things" such as the DFT (MFT) - winds up costing a LOT MORE than I care to pay . Really liking and needing/wanting that DFT without the RamBoxes on a Quad Cab . I know I'm an oddball ! Boy needs what a boy wants !?. :D .
I'll save further comment on the DFT (MFT) thing in the appropriate thread later . Again thanks, that download and further research on "your" dealership area gave me some ideas and learned a new thing .
I'm STILL (ugh) in the waiting/planning stage to order - maybe as late as when the 2021's start to show ? ?

Icecoldak

Reaction score
Speaking in just MSRP (no deals, discounts, incentives, etc.) it is easy to pay more for a Big Horn than a Laramie. The base model Laramie is only ~$5K more than the base model Big Horn. There are some standard things in the Laramie that you can't get in the Big Horn at all (leather, memory seat, power passenger seat to name a few that come standard in all Laramies) that account for the additional base price. With only a $5K difference it doesn't take more than a few added options and your Big Horn is going to cost more than a Laramie.

This month is a good time to get a Limited since FCA (www.ramtrucks.com) is pushing the Limited with up to $13K off MSRP to start with.

Very nice discounts, but the one thing making me think twice is the dreaded shaking/vibration everyone is having and we know for a fact its not the wheels/tires causing this!

CrazyWorld

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My new 2019 truck does not have any of these problems....I did have an ANC humming noise issue but that was fixed with a software download. I love my RAM....best riding truck I've ever owned....great mileage with the Hemi....tows our trailer very well.

airgas1998

Reaction score
Very nice discounts, but the one thing making me think twice is the dreaded shaking/vibration everyone is having and we know for a fact its not the wheels/tires causing this!
no vibration whatsoever on my 06/19 limited build.....

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've had my share of issues but I did buy the 1st year of a new generation so there will be more things than usual that need fixing and adjusting. I've got my 4th dealership visit scheduled for tomorrow but it only costs me time. They repair it for free and give me a loaner/rental at no cost because of the B2B warranty. Granted driving a 1500 Classic Express is nowhere near my Big Horn but as long as there's no money out of my pocket I will take it in as many times as it takes to get everything fixed (or at least documented in the first 36K miles in case there's a problem down the line).

Any new vehicle will have its issues and you have no idea if you are going to take it in once or 20 times. I was prepared for this since I bought the first year of the DT but I'd rather be driving something because I enjoy it instead of how many times I thought it would be in the shop.

I have no regrets and love my truck. If I had to do it all over again I'd get another one. The only thing I'd change is some of the options now that I've had a chance to drive one for almost a year.

Users who are viewing this thread