5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Potential New Owner

Maxx102

Reaction score
Hello everyone, about two weeks ago my current truck (I will refrain from saying which make and model) started giving me issues. A friend of mine suggested and perhaps unwittingly encouraged me to start looking at a new truck. They referred me to the dealer and salesperson they used to obtain their new vehicle.

So I looked on the dealer's website and found one that I liked, a 2021 Ram 2021 Bighorn Crew Cab (I think that is the right term - it has the four large doors) in silver with the "night" addition. It looked really sharp so I arranged a time to come in and test drive it. I went to the dealership last Saturday and on the outside it looked really pretty, it reminded me of my old Toyota Tundra Rock Warrior that I absolutely loved, except the bed rusted out on me :mad:. When I stepped in the driver's seat and there in the center was the largest touch screen system I have ever seen in a truck. I was impressed....very impressed. It has more bells and whistles than I knew what to do with. Navigation, touch screen HVAC, a damned heating steering wheel (never knew something like that existed in a truck). It drove very nice and there is plenty of room in front and back, neat in floor storage in the back. So I am now in the process of working my bank on obtaining a loan and I am 95% sure of purchasing.

However, with some experience with other trucks, I have some questions that I would like all of you to answer? Keep in mind I have never owned a Ram and until last Saturday, I have never driven a Ram. Until the 2019 - current model of Ram, all of the old ones reminded me of the ugly helicopter from the TV show Riptide.

My questions are this.

1. What is the rust issue like? I know that all vehicles have some rust the longer they are on the road, but how are they after a couple of years?
2. Are these made out of steel, aluminum, combination of both?
3. What problems or issues should I be aware of?
4. This vehicle has a 5.7 E-Torque...any concerns on the engine?
5. I am a little concerned about fuel usage, how is the real world gas mileage?

Thank you for listening.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Hello everyone, about two weeks ago my current truck (I will refrain from saying which make and model) started giving me issues. A friend of mine suggested and perhaps unwittingly encouraged me to start looking at a new truck. They referred me to the dealer and salesperson they used to obtain their new vehicle.

So I looked on the dealer's website and found one that I liked, a 2021 Ram 2021 Bighorn Crew Cab (I think that is the right term - it has the four large doors) in silver with the "night" addition. It looked really sharp so I arranged a time to come in and test drive it. I went to the dealership last Saturday and on the outside it looked really pretty, it reminded me of my old Toyota Tundra Rock Warrior that I absolutely loved, except the bed rusted out on me :mad:. When I stepped in the driver's seat and there in the center was the largest touch screen system I have ever seen in a truck. I was impressed....very impressed. It has more bells and whistles than I knew what to do with. Navigation, touch screen HVAC, a damned heating steering wheel (never knew something like that existed in a truck). It drove very nice and there is plenty of room in front and back, neat in floor storage in the back. So I am now in the process of working my bank on obtaining a loan and I am 95% sure of purchasing.

However, with some experience with other trucks, I have some questions that I would like all of you to answer? Keep in mind I have never owned a Ram and until last Saturday, I have never driven a Ram. Until the 2019 - current model of Ram, all of the old ones reminded me of the ugly helicopter from the TV show Riptide.

My questions are this.

1. What is the rust issue like? I know that all vehicles have some rust the longer they are on the road, but how are they after a couple of years?

Thank you for listening.
Welcome to the forum!

Here are my opinions based on personal experience:

1. NA. I live in Texas, where there’s no salt poured on roads, etc. so here you won’t find rust on any vehicles regardless of make.
2. Truck is made of steel except for the hood and tailgate, which are aluminum.
3. A few issues to watch out for (use the search function, plenty of threads on these) are, cracked rear glass panel bezel, rear glass leaks, and sometimes interior fitment issues, but for the most part, they have fixed a lot of the issues in the earlier trucks like brake squeal, and poor AC performance (redesigned on the ‘21 model).
4. I don’t have eTorque, but most members here have had a good experience with it. Too early to know if there will be any long term issues, but so far so good.
5. Not going to lie. Real world gas mileage on these trucks is abysmal. Specially city driving. Be ready to see around 12-13 MPG in town and around 18-19 hwy if you’re easy on the pedal.

Cheers,

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum .
IMHO to answer your questions
1 - if you live in an area where they use a lot of salt I’d suggest Crown rust proofing or something similar ( not rubberized )
2 - combination , hood & tailgate aluminum the rest steel .
3 - some have reported problems with the 12” screen , third brake light leak , satellite antenna leak and the year window leak .
4 - no concerns with the engine , Etorque hasn’t been out long enough to give you an honest answer .
5 - it’s not going to be as good as a Ford eco boost unless towing then they’re about the same . With no load I’ve gotten as good as 26 MPG but that’s up here where the speed limits are only 60 MPH . I’ve heard they start using a lot more fuel above that speed . City is NOT good but I don’t have Etorque either .
hope this helps .

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Basically the same info except I am not so negative on mpg's.

My Ltd is heavier than a BH and I get 21-22 highway, at least 17 city. 3.21 gears and an easy foot make a big difference.

I have had no warranty issues in 12K. Every mass produced unit can vary in quality.

Edit: If all you want is a new truck that gets high mpg’s then buy a RAM Pentstar V6 quad cab with 3.55, a RAM ecodiesel or an XLT 2.7 ecoboost Ferd 3.55 gears. Stay away from 3.92 gears if you buy a gas truck, and keep the weight down by not loading up on options.

Last edited by a moderator:

Maxx102

Reaction score
So just just my luck, I decided to pull the preverbal trigger and put money down on the Ram. I looked at various reviews, received input from friends, and got things squared away with my finances and insurance where I felt comfortable....I had an appointment with my sales person at the dealer today at 1:00 pm. I get there and after about 10 minutes of waiting for the sales person who I had been working with, I was able to speak to her. (she was helping another customer on purchasing an SUV).

Her first words were "I am so very sorry, but the truck has been sold." Another customer had bought it about 30 minutes before and as we were speaking, he was driving away in the truck I was going to purchase with his female companion (I assume wife) driving behind him in another vehicle. I get it, it's about supply and demand and if you have a customer who is willing to buy now vs. one who can't, you go with the sure buyer. So, I am back to square one, but she said that she would help me out as best as she could and we put together, on paper, a custom build for me. Basically it's the same thing I just looked at but with the addition of the package that includes adaptive cruise control. I am debating on adding the bed package with the spray in liner and rails. Bed liners I have had in the past were one drop in (came with the truck that was a lease return) and then BedRugs.

The bummer part is I also went what I call "preview shopping" at a truck accessories store in my area (Twin Cities) of some accessories that I want on my new truck. Tonneau cover, side steps, grill guard. Fortunately I didn't buy anything, otherwise I'd have parts but no truck.

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score

My questions are this.

Thank you for listening.
My 19 ram fell under the lemon law for vibrations, wouldn’t hold balance, never went down the road straight! 7 trips to dealers in 8 months, many new parts with no fix! I’m not the only one that had this issue, check on vibrations/tires/balance on here! The 5.7 is great, I had no issues with the etorque and I love it. The mpg is what you would expect out of a truck with a big v8. I’ve gotten 19 in town with the etorque and up to 24 highway if you keep it under 60. Like others have said better if you keep your foot out of it, but that’s hard to do as the 5.7 is very fun to drive. I had the 3:92 rear end which I loved, the 2021 I had built has the 3:21 gears, which should get better. You could expect 15-16 in town and 18-20 on the highway. I’ve figured this with a calculator. I pull a large pop up camper with the truck very loaded drops it down to about 14, but it pulls very well, I’ve never felt like I didn’t have enough power! Good luck with whatever you decide👍🏻

Maxx102

Reaction score
My 19 ram fell under the lemon law for vibrations, wouldn’t hold balance, never went down the road straight! 7 trips to dealers in 8 months, many new parts with no fix! I’m not the only one that had this issue, check on vibrations/tires/balance on here! The 5.7 is great, I had no issues with the etorque and I love it. The mpg is what you would expect out of a truck with a big v8. I’ve gotten 19 in town with the etorque and up to 24 highway if you keep it under 60. Like others have said better if you keep your foot out of it, but that’s hard to do as the 5.7 is very fun to drive. I had the 3:92 rear end which I loved, the 2021 I had built has the 3:21 gears, which should get better. You could expect 15-16 in town and 18-20 on the highway. I’ve figured this with a calculator. I pull a large pop up camper with the truck very loaded drops it down to about 14, but it pulls very well, I’ve never felt like I didn’t have enough power! Good luck with whatever you decide👍🏻
Thank you. I will be towing on occasion, but nothing like a camper. Mainly boats (a 21 bass boat), our big pontoon (25 footer), and a utility trailer with a 4 person Polaris General and smaller items (riding lawnmower...etc.)

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
OP, the 3.21 gears with the ET motor should be fine for you. Decent gas mileage., not as good as Ford.
I’d recommend the spray in liner and bed group, get them now instead of later.

You might want to get the longbed unless you are trying to park it inside a garage. My shortbed CC fits by 3” and will not fit in the house I am buying. 🙄👎

KCViper

Reaction score
Agree with getting the BUG. Best value for what you get!! Custom builds are great as you can get exactly what YOU want and not pay for things you don't want/need!

Maxx102

Reaction score
Well I am still shopping. I went to two different dealers to test drive the truck they had on their respective lots only to find out that the truck I was going to be looking at was sold already. Apparently just seeing a night edition is difficult. Any opinions on the proposed build I created below is welcome.

This is what I know I like so far.
1500 Bighorn
Bighorn Tech Group #2
12 Inch Uconnect with navigation
night edition
off road group
Granite or Billet Silver
Trailer Brake Controller
Blind-Spot & Cross-Path Detection

Items not sure of.
Engine - the V6 is standard, the truck I have test drove was the V8 Hemi - Etorque.
Bed group
Level 1 safety group
Premium lighting group

Not wanted.
Tow package
Technology group
33 gallon tank

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Well I am still shopping. I went to two different dealers to test drive the truck they had on their respective lots only to find out that the truck I was going to be looking at was sold already. Apparently just seeing a night edition is difficult. Any opinions on the proposed build I created below is welcome.

1500 Bighorn
Bighorn Tech Group #2
night edition
off road group
Granite or Billet Silver
Trailer Brake Controller

Items not sure of.
Engine - the V6 is standard, the truck I have test drove was the V8 Hemi - Etorque.
Bed group
Level 1 safety group
Premium lighting group

Not wanted.
Tow package
Technology group
33 gallon tank
I would re-think not wanting the 33 gallon tank. Not sure why you wouldn’t?

JP_Night18

Reaction score
Hey there! I dont have a new gen truck but from experience, I think giving Ram a try would be best choice. My dad has owned them for years. We recently gave up our 05 ram due to car accident. but we never had issues with it. Granted, it started to rust above the wheels area around 3 years ago. So maybe 13 years of no rust issues. I now have a 4th gen - 2018 model also in night edition. Nice choice because these have a lot of bells and whistles as you mentioned. I'm comfortable with this choice because of the longevity these trucks have. Rust is very tricky, avoid any body damage but if it happens, take care of it asap. I hope you choose Ram. Keep us posted.

SkittleRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score

1500 Bighorn
Bighorn Tech Group #2
night edition
off road group
Granite or Billet Silver
Trailer Brake Controller

Items not sure of.
Bed group
Level 1 safety group
Premium lighting group

Not wanted.
Tow package
Technology group
33 gallon tank
I feel ya on finding a Night Edition, very difficult.

Get the Bed Utility group, best bang for buck
I would get the Premium light group, as you want the Blind Spot and Cross Path, so you will LED rear lights already, might as well get the rest of them LED.
AS for the V6 or HEMI, I owned a 2014 with the v6 and it was ok and MPG was ok, around 20-23 average and I towed a car (1964 New Yorker) and it was able to keep up with traffic. So for most everyday driving, the v6 will be fine. I currently have the HEMI (non etourqe) and mpg is not great, 12-14 in city and 18-20 highway, but the sounds it makes are truly addicting :) and the power is very nice.

Maxx102

Reaction score
So my search continues - I was advised today that Chrysler has or will be shutting down production of 2021 Big Horn trucks, at least those with the night package. As I was looking around, I noticed that on a truck that I looked at that has a 8.4 inch screen had a slightly different overhead console....on the 12 inch screen version there was a "Assist" and a "SOS" buttons. However, on the 8.4, these buttons were not present.

My thought is to just purchase a truck with the 8.4 and add the 12 inch screen, the 9 speaker alpine system, and overhead console, but I am not sure if all that can be added. Has anyone swapped the overhead console?

Guysramrebel

Reaction score
I have a 2021 ram rebel with the 8.4 Nav, the sos and Assist buttons are there but on the top of the roof where the map lights are located, I also thought it would be smart to just buy the 8.4N screen because the truck is about 10k cheaper without the 12 screen but it seems like it doesn’t matter because my dealership quoted me $4700 to upgrade to the 12 inch display. Still in my head its cheaper because with my truck it was $41,000 + $6000 extended warranty where the other rebel they quoted me was 49,000 + $6000 warranty (if I added that) just do what makes you happy.

Users who are viewing this thread