5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Post DSR1 install and battery disconnect, multiple systems malfunctioning

NatGNJ

Reaction score
Hello all,

I just went through the process of installing a new audio system. I did the process stage by stage to avoid the DSR1 install until I had replaced the speakers, added the new amplifier, new subwoofer, and had most aftermarket work completed. Yesterday, I go to install the DSR1. As usual, I disconnect the battery and proceed.

I know my signature has details, but vehicle info: 2019 1500 Crew Cab V6, base 6 speaker (no ANC, no amplifier), 8.4" Uconnect w/ NAV. I purchased a DSR1 w/ DCH3 harnasses, and I followed their instructions to the letter. The only soldering I performed was for the speaker wire and the 12v Amplifer on (I tied into the cigarette lighter circuit, which goes off with ignition from my experience). I did not remove fuses or tap into the harness for the steering wheel. All power was run for subwoofer and amplifier prior to the DSR1 install and the stock components were working fine. All power connections were performed while the truck's battery was disconnected (positive run without connection until I was ready to terminate). DSR1 has the vehicle specific firmware. MY DSR1 install configurations is said to require the CANBUS connection, which I connected at the driver's side above the parking brake.

Back to issue. I reconnect the battery, and go to start the car. Engine starts. But the CEL comes on, wipers are moving at minimum speed (adjustment will not work), Info center and cruise controls are not working on the steering wheel, Message states that the START/STOP is disabled as well as 4WD system.

I did what I thought was a wise troubleshooting maneuver: I disconnected the battery, than all DSR1 connections and reset to factory, reconnected battery, and tried to restart the truck. Same issue.

I'm at a loss. Does anyone know what I need to do (or check) to try and reset the systems on the car? Getting the DSR1 set and working is a secondary goal now. I need the other systems working first.

Last edited:

Moparian

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hello all,

I just went through the process of installing a new audio system. I did the process stage by stage to avoid the DSR1 install until I had replaced the speakers, added the new amplifier, new subwoofer, and had most aftermarket work completed. Yesterday, I go to install the DSR1. As usual, I disconnect the battery and proceed.

I know my signature has details, but vehicle info: 2019 1500 Crew Cab V6, base 6 speaker (no ANC, no amplifier), 8.4" Uconnect w/ NAV. I purchased a DSR1 w/ ACH3 harnasses, and I followed their instructions to the letter. The only soldering I performed was for the speaker wire and the 12v Amplifer on (I tied into the cigarette lighter circuit, which goes off with ignition from my experience). I did not remove fuses or tap into the harness for the steering wheel. All power was run for subwoofer and amplifier prior to the DSR1 install and the stock components were working fine. All power connections were performed while the truck's battery was disconnected (positive run without connection until I was ready to terminate). DSR1 has the vehicle specific firmware. MY DSR1 install configurations is said to require the CANBUS connection, which I connected at the driver's side above the parking brake.

Back to issue. I reconnect the battery, and go to start the car. Engine starts. But the CEL comes on, wipers are moving at minimum speed (adjustment will not work), Info center and cruise controls are not working on the steering wheel, Message states that the START/STOP is disabled as well as 4WD system.

I did what I thought was a wise troubleshooting maneuver: I disconnected the battery, than all DSR1 connections and reset to factory, reconnected battery, and tried to restart the truck. Same issue.

I'm at a loss. Does anyone know what I need to do (or check) to try and reset the systems on the car? Getting the DSR1 set and working is a secondary goal now. I need the other systems working first.
You need the aCH4 harness. https://maestro.idatalink.com/accessories/category/product_id/768/project/ar

NatGNJ

Reaction score
I appreciate the feedback. However, Crutchfield and Idatalink seem to indicate the DCH3 is the right harnass for a V6 w/o ANC or Amplifier (I have base 6 speaker). The link you provided for the ACH4 states 2019 1500 w/ amplifier.

Further, even with the harness and DSR1 removed, my truck isn't returning to normal operation.

EDIT: Corrected my original post: DCH3 harness, not ACH3.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-05-12 iDatalink - Maestro - Accessories.png
    Screenshot_2020-05-12 iDatalink - Maestro - Accessories.png
    48.7 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

Moparian

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I appreciate the feedback. However, Crutchfield and Idatalink seem to indicate the DCH3 is the right harnass for a V6 w/o ANC or Amplifier (I have base 6 speaker). The link you provided for the ACH4 states 2019 1500 w/ amplifier.

Further, even with the harness and DSR1 removed, my truck isn't returning to normal operation.

EDIT: Corrected my original post: DCH3 harness, not ACH3.
I mean if Crutchfield says so but they dont even list Ram under the ACH3 on the idatalink site.

Moparian

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My apologies I meant to say DCH3, if you check the image in my previous post. MY apologies.
That makes more sense. Did you update the firmware on the DSR1? Have you reached out to Crutchfield, they are usually pretty good with troubleshooting issues.

NatGNJ

Reaction score
That makes more sense. Did you update the firmware on the DSR1? Have you reached out to Crutchfield, they are usually pretty good with troubleshooting issues.
I'll give it a shot (calling Crutchfield). The DSR1 working or not working is secondary to my "Holy S***" moment that the other systems are not working. I have today and tomorrow to work on the car (good weather, and I don't have to be anywhere until Thursday). I was enjoying the upgrade work until this happened. LOL.

NatGNJ

Reaction score
Crutchfield support is telling me that I cannot add an aftermarket amplifier to my truck. They are claiming that a message saying I can’t add these components would pop up when purchasing (it did not). The support rep also thinks I have an ANC module (the V6 does not). He doesn’t seem very inclined to help. I purchased almost everything from Crutchfield so this is very disappointing.

NatGNJ

Reaction score
Crutchfield suggested I call I datalink after removing all power connections (I had fuse out for power, but still grounded). Fingers crossed

NatGNJ

Reaction score
Latest update. I spoke to IDatalink, and they are dismissing it entirely as a clock spring issue. I asked why this all suddenly started after installing the DSR1, and the support agent insisted it was a coincidence. The clock spring and column module are in the steering column per the agent. I have literally touched nothing pertaining to that. All the wiring I ran was days prior to the DSR1 install. I literally only operated in the center console when I connected the DSR1 (power, RCA, speaker wire all run to center prior to this). Does anyone else thing it’s too much of a coincidence? Additionally, does anyone have any technical diagrams for a clock spring and the steering wheel module?

Last edited:

NatGNJ

Reaction score
IDatalink manager called me back. Very helpful and found that I very foolishly overlooked a specific fuse (I had checked multiple fuses since this started an missed this one) if you have an issue like this, F53 folks. I am kicking myself in the rear for not finding this on my own given how I scoured everything else.

Cue74

Reaction score
IDatalink manager called me back. Very helpful and found that I very foolishly overlooked a specific fuse (I had checked multiple fuses since this started an missed this one) if you have an issue like this, F53 folks. I am kicking myself in the rear for not finding this on my own given how I scoured everything else.
Hi, I’m getting ready to do pretty much the same thing on my 1500. I have the 2020 1500 5.7 base w/anc. Could you possibly help me out with a photo of that CAN junction you plugged the green wire from the dsr1 into. Also on my install it talks about a cycle to go through to tell the factory HU that an amp is installed. Yours didn’t have this step? Thanks in advance!

Aschulte13

Reaction score
Hi, I’m getting ready to do pretty much the same thing on my 1500. I have the 2020 1500 5.7 base w/anc. Could you possibly help me out with a photo of that CAN junction you plugged the green wire from the dsr1 into. Also on my install it talks about a cycle to go through to tell the factory HU that an amp is installed. Yours didn’t have this step? Thanks in advance!
I installed on a 2020 bighorn 6 speaker system with ANC. The can bus is on the left near the fuses when sitting in the passenger seat. Check out the picture. Kind of bad but should help. connect to the green block with the white plugs. It’s a t-harness, so one side of our plug will go into the can junction box; the 2-pin plug that was connected to the junction box plugs into the other set of 2-pin white plugs on the harness. I hope that helps answer your question
The only issue i had was not fully seating the harness that goes behind the radio. Caused car play to not work. Just needed to push a little harder.

Attachments

• C786CD61-E745-4703-B6CA-3DE20698F3FF.jpeg
    C786CD61-E745-4703-B6CA-3DE20698F3FF.jpeg
    57.9 KB · Views: 33

Aschulte13

Reaction score
I installed on a 2020 bighorn 6 speaker system with ANC. The can bus is on the left near the fuses when sitting in the passenger seat. Check out the picture. Kind of bad but should help. connect to the green block with the white plugs. It’s a t-harness, so one side of our plug will go into the can junction box; the 2-pin plug that was connected to the junction box plugs into the other set of 2-pin white plugs on the harness. I hope that helps answer your question
The only issue i had was not fully seating the harness that goes behind the radio. Caused car play to not work. Just needed to push a little harder.
^car play works well now. You do have to do something weird to get the head unit to put itself in a amplifier mode. It was easy and is spelled out in the manual. It was like turn the car on and off and put the left blinker on and pat your head.

Cue74

Reaction score
^car play works well now. You do have to do something weird to get the head unit to put itself in a amplifier mode. It was easy and is spelled out in the manual. It was like turn the car on and off and put the left blinker on and pat your head.
Thanks! I’ll be home later this week & will be getting this done. I was also wondering if you did the programming thing as well, now I know. I ended up calling idata support as well to understand about the second step of the t harness connector. That CAN junction was what I was unsure about. Can’t wait to get this done. I made a little amp rack already as well as replace all my speakers. Sound deadening the doors was a pain.

Users who are viewing this thread