5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Possibly ordering '21 1500 Laramie

Darel

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Cross-shopping new trucks and I have a couple questions you might be able to help me with. I am looking to order a 1500 Laramie.

For a bit of background, I am a traveling service rep and expect to put around 500-1000 miles/week on the truck. It's my mobile office, which is why the Ram is kinda topping my list, for that amazing interior.

1. Panoramic sunroof - I personally HATE sunroofs and will never open it. Ever. However, I really like the open, airy glass-roof feel. I had an Audi with a HUGE sunroof that only tilted open, didn't slide because it was so big, and I loved it. I am also well aware of the issues surrounding pano roofs in ALL manufacturers' cars. How are the Rams doing? Common issues? Are they of the nature that, if I never open the thing, they'll never occur?

2. E-torque. I am not one of those self-imposed Luddites who eschews all things new-fangled and electronic. However, I have a company gas card and while the Hemi E-torque is only $200 more I'm ambivalent to it. Problem is, I lose a LOT of seemingly unrelated options if I choose just the regular Hemi - like the multifunction tailgate, the Level 2 option group, and even silly things like rear fender liners. I really don't care if the truck has it or not, but do you really lose all that other stuff if you give it up? Or is there some kind of error in the online configurator?

3. Kinda same question as above, I really like the Multifunction tailgate AND olive green (either 2-tone or solid). But, why is olive green the ONLY color that makes you deleted the MFT?

4. You guys who are racking up BIG miles on your trucks and hours and hours of seat time - how are the seats? If I'm going to be in it 30+ hours a week it has to be La-Z-Boy quality and a test drive just doesn't do justice to the reality of sitting in the seat for 6 hours a day.

Thanks, more questions to follow!
Darel

BilletLaramie57

Reaction score
2. Online configurator has been buggy lately for sure. Not saying that what you are mentioning isn't true, but a lot of people have commented that the configurator has been wonky.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
eTorque doesn't improve gas mileage or anything like that.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

SCasey89

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The Build and Price on the Ram website has been very buggy for the 2021s. A more reliable Build and Price can be found at the link below.

As for the eTorque, I’d skip it. There really isn’t any benefit to it. Unless you’re doing a a lot of city driving...but even then, the benefit is minimal. With the amount of driving you do, it’s just another thing that could cause an issue and leave you stranded. It seems there has been a slight increase in owners having issues with the battery packs. I’d stick with the regular Hemi, which is tried and true.

bhurst10

Reaction score
I am going to speak on the panoramic roof i have it in my 2019 Limited i have not had any issues or failures with mines after driving it daily and I have 25k miles on my truck now. The only thing I dislike about it is there is no instalation between the glass and the roof its a very thin material so you feel that heat on those hot day even when your ac is blowing and your truck has cool off in the inside you put your hand up there and there is big heat difference. Knowing what I know now I wouldn't have gotten it. Thats just my 2 cents good luck shopping.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Jako

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Cross-shopping new trucks and I have a couple questions you might be able to help me with. I am looking to order a 1500 Laramie.

For a bit of background, I am a traveling service rep and expect to put around 500-1000 miles/week on the truck. It's my mobile office, which is why the Ram is kinda topping my list, for that amazing interior.

1. Panoramic sunroof - I personally HATE sunroofs and will never open it. Ever. However, I really like the open, airy glass-roof feel. I had an Audi with a HUGE sunroof that only tilted open, didn't slide because it was so big, and I loved it. I am also well aware of the issues surrounding pano roofs in ALL manufacturers' cars. How are the Rams doing? Common issues? Are they of the nature that, if I never open the thing, they'll never occur?

2. E-torque. I am not one of those self-imposed Luddites who eschews all things new-fangled and electronic. However, I have a company gas card and while the Hemi E-torque is only $200 more I'm ambivalent to it. Problem is, I lose a LOT of seemingly unrelated options if I choose just the regular Hemi - like the multifunction tailgate, the Level 2 option group, and even silly things like rear fender liners. I really don't care if the truck has it or not, but do you really lose all that other stuff if you give it up? Or is there some kind of error in the online configurator?

3. Kinda same question as above, I really like the Multifunction tailgate AND olive green (either 2-tone or solid). But, why is olive green the ONLY color that makes you deleted the MFT?

4. You guys who are racking up BIG miles on your trucks and hours and hours of seat time - how are the seats? If I'm going to be in it 30+ hours a week it has to be La-Z-Boy quality and a test drive just doesn't do justice to the reality of sitting in the seat for 6 hours a day.

Darel
4. Seat: Bighorn, bench, cloth
I'm 6' 1" 230 lbs.
I have done several 800 mile trips and one 23 hour marathon drive.
No issues and I am very pleased with the seat configuration. Wife is 5' 3" and also very comfortable in the passenger seat.

Adrianp89

Reaction score
1. Love my sunroof.

2. Would have skipped eTorque if I could have but when I ordered I could only get the 5.7 with e-Torque.

3. This is prob a glitch in system. They limited colors when it first came out but I have seen them it lots of colors now. MFT is must have.

4. No idea - I have 4k since last November.

Darel

Reaction score
Thanks guys. There's a sliding cover for the sunroof right? Like if it's just too sunny?

Is the pano roof noisy?

I'll chalk up the other stuff to glitchy configurator, and just go to a dealer with everything I want and throw a temper tantrum when I can't get it. Thanks!

vincentw56

Reaction score
Yes, there is a sliding cover. You can also get it tinted which will help with heat. No, it isn't noisy when closed.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Darel

Reaction score
OK using the NADA guide linked above, the only option that got locked out when I chose regular Hemi and olive green was 2-tone paint. Which is fine. Got everything else and it even lists the invoice pricing so I can run some real numbers. Thanks guys!

SCasey89

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Living in Southern California, I was a little leery on getting a truck with the sunroof due to the temps we have here. Like you, I wasn’t sure how often I’d actually use the sunroof, but the thought of having a glass roof seemed really cool.

The other weekend, we had temperatures approaching 120 degrees, and my truck was no warmer than my fathers Limited without the sunroof. We both have the all black interiors. I guess at 120 degrees, everything is going to feel the same haha I got the truck in Colorado and on my drive back the temps got into the upper 90s and 100s in spots and I thought the cover did a heck of a job keeping that heat out of the truck. The air conditioning worked great and kept us nice and comfortable.

I will say, in the month I’ve owned the truck, I’ve only had the cover open a handful of times to enjoy the view out the roof. It’s either been on cloudy days or if I’m driving in the evening/night. Without the cover in the middle of the day, the inside will feel like an oven.

Oh, and as far as the seats, I did all the driving coming back from picking it up in Colorado. One 12+ hour day with only a couple stops for fuel and food and I thought the seats were extremely comfortable. This is my third Ram (2008, 2017, 2020) and I feel the Rams have the most comfortable seats out there. Only thing I wish my truck had are the ventilated front seats...I’m in a Big Horn.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Haven't had any trouble with my pano sunroof, but I think I've opened it a total of 2 times in the year I've owned the truck. It's like anything else, some people have had problems with it, but the majority of people haven't had a single issue with it.

I'd have preferred not to have it in my daily driver, but since I couldn't wait to order a truck I was kind of stuck with what I could find. Haven't had any issues with it, just don't like the system. Sounds like you've got the bit about not being able to get other options without including etorque sorted out.

That doesn't make sense to me unless they're building and painting them in another location, and not with the rest of the truck. Which is entirely possible.

Darel
I haven't exactly racked up the miles on my truck, but I use it as a daily driver on my 30 minute (each way) commute. And have to say the seats in my Laramie are quite comfortable. The longest drive I've taken with it is about 3 hours, but I was never uncomfortable at any point in the drive.

SJC5

Reaction score
Could someone tell me if they were able to order a 2021 Laramie with Night Edition or Laramie Equipment Level 2 (required with Night Edition) withOUT eTorque. I ordered last week and both nada.com and now the online builder (not available when I ordered) both force eTorque for Night Editition/Equipment Level 2. Thank you.

Grouper

Reaction score
Could someone tell me if they were able to order a 2021 Laramie with Night Edition or Laramie Equipment Level 2 (required with Night Edition) withOUT eTorque. I ordered last week and both nada.com and now the online builder (not available when I ordered) both force eTorque for Night Editition/Equipment Level 2. Thank you.
This isn't a direct answer to your question but I had been "building" Night Edition trucks with the configuration tool for the past year and found it could not be configured with the V8 without eTorque.

I'm getting close to placing an order but decided I want Hydro Blue Pearl, which is not available with the Night Edition (much to my dismay). So, I've spec'd it out with the Sport Appearance Package and ran into the same issue with the configuration tool; it would not allow the options I desire with the V8 Hemi unless I had the eTorque selected.

Today, I had a dealer spec the non-eTorque V8 in the exact configuration I desire. He sent me the build sheet. It's Customer Preferred Package 25H.

Hope this helps.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've always considered sunroofs a liability. They will inevitably leak. Some have even been exploding from poor tempering of the glass. ( https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/sunroof-exploded-while-driving.6023/post-85352 )

When you order, make sure you go over the options very carefully. Some options break others. If an option starts off with NA with "XXX", if you have the latter option it breaks the other. Its easy for a $200 option to remove a $2000 option.

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I can speak to the pano roof, the eTorque and the seats. Love the Pano roof, with the shade open it feels like the outside is in, the tilt is very small and doesn't do much except stop some buffeting if you are driving with a window down. Open the glass all the way up (push the button and when it stops push it again for the extra couple inches) and it almost feels like a convertible. I haven't had any trouble with my eTorque, and for the quicker line take offs and smoother up-shifts alone I would get it. For towing it is great to get you rolling from a stop, and I am pretty sure I am seeing about .2-.3 MPG increase with the start stop enabled. I only have 42,000 Miles so far but the Limited Leather seat is pretty plush and equal to or better than any other seats I have sat in for any significant length of time.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Darel
1. I rarely open my panoramic sunroof, and I keep the shade closed all summer in Texas. But it's awesome to open the shade on an overcast or fall/winter day. There've been a few reports (one thread, I think) of shattered sunroofs on this forum, but not many for 30K+ members.

2. Don't worry about getting eTorque. There've been a few—but just a few—members that have had problems, but it's a no-brainer for the small advantages it provides for $200. You'll gain < 1 mpg (Fuelly average across hundreds/thousands of trucks), but you'll also be able to get all of those other options. FCA is probably just bundling it in to ensure that they hit fleet mileage numbers.

3. Unknown.

4. I'm not that guy, although they've been super comfortable on the few road trips I've done.

Good luck!

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sunroof is a personal choice. Have it in the MB wagon (huge) and skipped it when ordering the 1500 (don’t miss it).

I like my etorque and would buy it again. But I’m in the minority (eg. I have no issues with, and actually like, my MDS)

MFT is indispensable for me - best option on the truck. Will be nearly impossible for me to have a pickup without it, from now on.

Seats are very good - not quite Volvo or MB or Audi, but as good as Cadillac, better than ford or Chevy easily. Limited range for lower back adjust, seat heat/cool works great, and I like he Laramie suede/leather combo. I’ve done several 16 hr jaunts, commuting, etc, and they were comfy.

I do recommendation some kind of running board - use it 100% of the time.

Mtsabo

Reaction score
Ive made two 16 hour drives. Never fun in any vehicle, but I was comfortable. Definitely the best seats Ive ever sat in. The ram just eats up the miles. Im 6'4" 205 if it helps. Running boards are pointless if your as tall or taller then me.

Darel

Reaction score
Thanks guys. RE: tube steps, I have them on my '07 Silverado the Ram would replace and use them ever single time. However, it's kinda tough to swallow almost a grand on some GD metal tubes. I'm pretty sure whichever truck I decide on, my welder will get a workout.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online