5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Possible to Add Air Suspension?

CompuDav

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has looked into it or not... I have a Laramie that I love but I didn’t get air suspension and after reading the positive reviews on it, I kind of want to take a test drive with it and possibly add it now. Does anyone know if it is possible to add air suspension and how much it would cost?

Thanks!

dsmgsx916

Reaction score
Anything is possible when you throw enough money at it, but it will cost you far more to add it in than it would have as a factory equipped option, more than it's worth. You'd be replacing the shocks, springs (for airbags), adding wiring, air lines, the compressor, the dash panel switch, etc. Then it would have to be unlocked and added into the uConnect software. I'm not entirely sure it's possible to do so after the fact or if you would be able to find a dealership willing to try.

CompuDav

Reaction score
Anything is possible when you throw enough money at it, but it will cost you far more to add it in than it would have as a factory equipped option, more than it's worth. You'd be replacing the shocks, springs (for airbags), adding wiring, air lines, the compressor, the dash panel switch, etc. Then it would have to be unlocked and added into the uConnect software. I'm not entirely sure it's possible to do so after the fact or if you would be able to find a dealership willing to try.

Thanks! Was just wondering. I didn’t know all that would be involved.

Kxlexus

Reaction score
I can’t imagine anyone would. Not worth the considerable expense

derp

Reaction score
from what I have gathered on here so far, the air suspension has some durability problems related to moisture accumulation in the tanks and fouling the valves that control the system.

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
from what I have gathered on here so far, the air suspension has some durability problems related to moisture accumulation in the tanks and fouling the valves that control the system.

I thought the factory "air" suspension did not actually use air from atmosphere, but rather was a closed system charged with nitrogen @ 175psi. This was for the reason of moisture, etc.

derp

Reaction score

thats the best image I could find of a prt in the suspension lines and fittings. it doesn't *look* like it is a fitting that would go in 175psi closed system and the part number implies an exhaust to atmosphere.

I am not a FCA mechanic. I have no service knowledge of the system.just basic mechanical experience in air/water systems and basic electronics.

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That does indeed look to be an atmospheric vent.

I do know, the factory manuals on tech authority, outline servicing the system. And there is a procedure where the system can be be evacuated, like if a line leaks or pump dies. The system must then be charged with nitrogen from an external source. There is a charging port near the rear tire under the bed. Maybe this is done initially, and then the onboard pump / drier / etc equipment is used for makeup air, etc.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Everything I've seen here so far pertained to the older system on 4th gen trucks. None on the 5th gens.

Cheers,

derp

Reaction score
That does indeed look to be an atmospheric vent.

I do know, the factory manuals on tech authority, outline servicing the system. And there is a procedure where the system can be be evacuated, like if a line leaks or pump dies. The system must then be charged with nitrogen from an external source. There is a charging port near the rear tire under the bed. Maybe this is done initially, and then the onboard pump / drier / etc equipment is used for makeup air, etc.
That would be ideal if it was a closed system with a dryer and nitrogen. fingers crossed for the best possible outcome!

Users who are viewing this thread