5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Possible Lifter Tick, Any thoughts?

Z.SALA2322

Reaction score
2022 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi … Hey Guys, I’m hearing a light ticking/tapping noise from my engine only after coming to stop after being on the highway (enough time for the engine to warm up). I’ve been concerned about a lifter issue, based off of other things that I’ve seen people post. I’ve taken the truck to the dealer, but they said things sounded normal. I’m new to the 5.7 Hemi and would appreciate it if anybody here would be able to provide some feedback?

Last edited:

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Possibly injector noise? Any chance you can upload a vid?

Fatherof3

Reaction score
What octane are you using ? 87 should be ok but maybe try 89 just to see if the noise goes away . The Hemi engines are not quiet . As HemiDude said , injectors make a ticking noise too .

HemiDude

Reaction score
I believe you have to post it to something like youtube first, then load it from there. Hopefully someone from the forum who has posted a vid chimes in.

Couple other questions/thoughts. What is you oil level? How many miles are on the truck and have you changed the oil yet? There was a forum member who had a faulty pcv which caused a different issue, don't recall if he had a ticking noise to go along with it. I still default to my first thought though, the injectors on these engine can be a little loud sometimes.

Z.SALA2322

Reaction score
I believe you have to post it to something like youtube first, then load it from there. Hopefully someone from the forum who has posted a vid chimes in.

Couple other questions/thoughts. What is you oil level? How many miles are on the truck and have you changed the oil yet? There was a forum member who had a faulty pcv which caused a different issue, don't recall if he had a ticking noise to go along with it. I still default to my first thought though, the injectors on these engine can be a little loud sometimes.
Hey bud, here’s the vid let me know what you think. First oil change was at 1,000 miles. Current mileage is 2,700. Oil appear to be in the normal range.

Z.SALA2322

Reaction score
What octane are you using ? 87 should be ok but maybe try 89 just to see if the noise goes away . The Hemi engines are not quiet . As HemiDude said , injectors make a ticking noise too .
I use 89 octane, just posted the video to the original post, let me know if you have any thoughts. The phone is just above the left tire.

Fatherof3

Reaction score
That honestly sounds nor to me . But obviously I can’t hear it in person . Is it louder , quieter or about the same as the video ?

HemiDude

Reaction score
I think that sounds too deep to be injector noise, based on your vid. What grade and brand of oil do you use?

patlhsgolf

Reaction score
I use 89 octane, just posted the video to the original post, let me know if you have any thoughts. The phone is just above the left tire.
Did you ever get in conclusions to this noise? Mine sounds the exact same and really has off and on since buying the truck new in July of 2021. Sometimes I feel it’s louder than others, but definitely the same noise. I also use 89 gasoline and haven’t seemed to make any connections between conditions on times it seems louder than others.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Sounds like injectors to me, it will sound louder if it's bouncing off something like being parked next to a wall.

Reaction score
2022 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi … Hey Guys, I’m hearing a light ticking/tapping noise from my engine only after coming to stop after being on the highway (enough time for the engine to warm up). I’ve been concerned about a lifter issue, based off of other things that I’ve seen people post. I’ve taken the truck to the dealer, but they said things sounded normal. I’m new to the 5.7 Hemi and would appreciate it if anybody here would be able to provide some feedback?

I have a 2019 5.7 wEtorque and have had this sound since iwas at 20K its now at 64K no issues. I noticed with certain gas 89s at chevron or a cheaper place its louder. Definitely the injectors. My 09 was like this too and lasted 120K no issues until it was wrecked

Jeffy111Spen

Reaction score
I joined this forum to see if anyone had this exact noise. My engine makes the same knocking noise, which is driving me crazy.
The weird thing is that the noise will go away while idling if the truck is parked on an incline so the oil flows to the rear if the pan.
I believe it’s an oiling problem to the rear lifters.
I use Amsoil signature series 5W30, 0W30, and 0W40 and the oil grade makes zero difference.
I change my oil every 4 months and the truck only has 22K on it. I only use 93-94 Octane as well.
The other weird thing is there’s zero knocking noise during acceleration.
I would inquire with my local Stealership, but the problem is that I don’t think any of the techs have figured out the noise issue.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I joined this forum to see if anyone had this exact noise. My engine makes the same knocking noise, which is driving me crazy.
The weird thing is that the noise will go away while idling if the truck is parked on an incline so the oil flows to the rear if the pan.
I believe it’s an oiling problem to the rear lifters.
I use Amsoil signature series 5W30, 0W30, and 0W40 and the oil grade makes zero difference.
I change my oil every 4 months and the truck only has 22K on it. I only use 93-94 Octane as well.
The other weird thing is there’s zero knocking noise during acceleration.
I would inquire with my local Stealership, but the problem is that I don’t think any of the techs have figured out the noise issue.

Wouldn't thicker oil make it worse in reaching the oil in the higher parts of the drivetrain, you may want to try 0W20 or 5W20 to see if that has an effect.

Jeffy111Spen

Reaction score
I’ve tried 0W30, 5W30, and 0W40. The 0W40 seemed to work the best at Dissipating the noise, but it was still there.

twc1995

Reaction score
I know this threat is old but did you ever get an answer about the noise? My truck makes the same noise. 5.7 1500 classic, 15k miles

silver billet

Reaction score
Doesn't sound like injectors (injectors have a very light/high pitched little ticky noise, this is a deeper noise) it does sound like a noisy lifter to me but not necessarily one that is failing or anything to worry about. That's the kind of sound that goes away in my truck with better oil. Redline 5w-30 and now HPL have both eliminated that sound.

cjnnewman

Reaction score
I have this exact same noise. That tapping sound that is just a little bit erratic. It does get faster with just a little bit of RPM, but goes away by 800-900.

Did you ever figure out a solution to this? I’m nervous about a failing lifter. I’d like to replace them before failure if that’s the case.

Crazy, my truck is a 14 with 135k. To have this same sound on a 22 is just ridiculous on Ram’s part.

BowDown

Reaction score
Make sure its not the idler/tension pulley, mines noisy and sounds like a lifter sometimes

BowDown

Reaction score
I have this exact same noise. That tapping sound that is just a little bit erratic. It does get faster with just a little bit of RPM, but goes away by 800-900.

Did you ever figure out a solution to this? I’m nervous about a failing lifter. I’d like to replace them before failure if that’s the case.

Crazy, my truck is a 14 with 135k. To have this same sound on a 22 is just ridiculous on Ram’s part.

What's your oil pressure?

Users who are viewing this thread