5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Possible Factory Paint Issue?

NorthCountryEvo

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

Hopefully someone with a little more experience with paint (of which I have none) can point me in the right direction of what I have going on.

Picked up my new '19 Rebel in March, and i've been pretty diligent keeping it clean and looking for any issues/imperfections on a weekly basis. This weekend I noticed a very small issue appearing on my rear drivers side door. There's a small amount of spiderwebbing in the paint and the location is actually starting to dent outwards. I've seen paint spider webbing before, and seen other dents and whatnot on vehicles, but it bothers me in particular that this looks to be the paint pushing our away from the vehicle (almost like I was sending a crew from the inside of the door and drove too deep.

Any ideas on what is going on here? Could it be from someone hitting my door and it's just dented/ messing up the paint in a weird way? I've had a few buddies look at it and all of them have said they feel like it could be an imperfection from the factory painting process, and what little I could find elsewhere from other online sources points towards a possible solvent/chemical issue that may have taken place during factory painting.

All help/info/ideas are much appreciated.

Paint 1.jpg

D3C0FE91-389A-4248-8072-E1DA5E45B6E5.jpeg

Sorry if it's tough to see in the pictures, but the outward denting is almost impossible to capture at this point.

Attachments

• Paint 2.jpg
    Paint 2.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

Luxy72462

Reaction score
I think there’s some early build quality issues with these doors. If you have the crew cab and close the rear door you will notice a lot of deflection in the door itself. Kind of like they didn’t put a big enough brace behind the center of the door. Mine wobbles or deflects like no other when I shut it and keep thinking something along the same lines as yours may happen in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It doesn't appear to be a paint defect. It looks like something impacted the inside of the door. Either something loose inside or the trim panel had been removed for a repair and a tool wacked it. It'll need a trip to the body shop.

NorthCountryEvo

Reaction score
It doesn't appear to be a paint defect. It looks like something impacted the inside of the door. Either something loose inside or the trim panel had been removed for a repair and a tool wacked it. It'll need a trip to the body shop.

Well, i’ve never had the door off, and whatever this is showed up after having the truck for over a month and a half. I can’t imagine that anything “loose” inside the door would have been able to hit are enough to cause this either, nor would anything have been knocked loose with the light daily commute too and from work that I do. I appreciate you chiming in though, because I really don’t know what is causing it. Wanted to get some ideas before I ran by my dealer.

Also, I hit up a buddy over the phone and sent him the picture. He does paint and body work professionally, and says he thinks that there was probably an issue in the painting process, something having to do with either an occlusion that got mixed into the paint, something along those lines.

Users who are viewing this thread