5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

POSSIBLE EXHAUST LEAK???

Love2driveRAM19

Reaction score
Hello,

I was taking some "before" pics to prepare for my ebay exhaust cutout installation and I noticed the following gaps in the exhaust flange(?) after the Y pipe but before the resonator. Hopefully I have the part/names correct.

Please view pics and let me know thoughts??? I have to set up a service call for the latest recall issues so I wanted to add this to the list if it is uncommon/needing attention.

Thanks!!!

Attachments

• exhaust pic 1.jpg
    exhaust pic 1.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 121
  • exhaust pic bottom 2.jpg
    exhaust pic bottom 2.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 120
  • exhaust pic close up 2.jpg
    exhaust pic close up 2.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 112
  • exhaust pic side and top gap.jpg
    exhaust pic side and top gap.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 112
  • exhaust pic 2.jpg
    exhaust pic 2.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 110
  • exhaust pic bottom.jpg
    exhaust pic bottom.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 106
  • exhaust pic close up 1.jpg
    exhaust pic close up 1.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 108

sgtsodo

Reaction score
Is this around the front of the bed near the cab?

I get condensation drips on the concrete in this location. Asked the dealer if it was normal, they said yes.

Love2driveRAM19

Reaction score
Is this around the front of the bed near the cab?

I get condensation drips on the concrete in this location. Asked the dealer if it was normal, they said yes.

sgtsodo,

The flange I have circled is not near the bed of cab but at the front of the cab. If you look at your passenger door and see the "R" in RAM on your passenger door, that is where the flange I circled in the pics above is located underneath the vehicle of course.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not the neatest installation I've seen, but there should also be a gasket in there as well sealing up the connection.

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Probably not a gasket there I’m nont 100%. But either way it is normal to see that. Will not effect anything

geotex1

Reaction score
This style of ball flanges do not use a gasket. The problem is, they are really a one and done style of joint. After an initial tightening mating the ends shapes them to one another. Try to unbolt and attach new, you're likely going to leak. Further, in stainless pipes, they don't seal well from go because the hardness of the stainless.

Exhaust leaks are considered acceptable beyond the catalytic converters and past any point of potential fume migration into the passenger compartment. So, you may not get anywhere trying warranty.

You'll get lots of bad advise of using a copper RTV, but just standard heat expansion will break that seal and it'll leak again. Aluminzed antisieze or exhaust paste lasts a little longer, and just skip the old-school use of high body grease because, well, it just stinks when hot!

If you want to really seal a leaky ball flange you can't tolerate, you need an "exhaust olive" of proper size. This is not a "doughnut seal" and has a different design that you can really capture within a ball flange to seal it. Though, a fine profile doughnut of the right size and geometry could work with longer bolts too. You're other option, which is definitive and more permanent is to cut out the ball flange and weld in a coupler. Understand ball flanges are used primarily to better accommodate changes in alignment of the exhaust pipe to move around things and put the pipe where you want it - like centering in a bumper opening for the tips. So, not a big deal to lose them. However, ball flanges with spring-loaded connectors are purposely done to accommodate movements expected. I'm sure many have seen this connection from manifold to down pipes. So chopping out one of those needs to have an alternative means to accommodate expansion such as a flex coupler.

Last edited:

Love2driveRAM19

Reaction score
geotex1,

Thanks for the info/knowledge!!!!!

On a side note relative to my initial quest of looking under truck: would 3" butt joints work with my ebay cutout exhaust to make it easily removable over welding each end???

1550949813539.png Summit Racing Butt Clamp

geotex1

Reaction score
geotex1,

Thanks for the info/knowledge!!!!!

On a side note relative to my initial quest of looking under truck: would 3" butt joints work with my ebay cutout exhaust to make it easily removable over welding each end???

View attachment 16959 Summit Racing Butt Clamp

Not if you're placing the cut-out under the cab! Butt band clamps leak along the reaction block (i.e., where the bolt are). If you can work a configuration where you can lap the pipes to install the cut-out, you can use specific lap joint band clamps under the cab as these will not leak because your pipes are overlapped (i.e., slid together) and the lap clamp then spans and locks the lap in-place.

Users who are viewing this thread