5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

POS pedal commander

skyhawk42

Reaction score
Well after all the warnings I’ve seen on here my pedal commander died on me in the worst situation. Driving on the highway in a construction zone during rush hour with no shoulder to stop on. Every light on the dash came on and I lost all throttle response. I didn’t know what was happening so I put on the 4ways stopped and shut off the truck and restarted it and all was back to good other than a check engine light. I started driving and 1/2 mile down the road it happened again, but this time the cluster said service electronic throttle. That’s when I realized it was the pedal commander. So there I was on the highway with cars honking and swerving around me, trying to unplug this stupid thing. Once I did I was able to drive home without issue. I cleared the code and all seems to be good. I wish I would have taken everyone’s warning about this thing, so I’ll just put it out there for others… when it worked it was fun, when it didn’t it turned into a pretty dangerous situation.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Now imagine this was your wife/girlfriend/daughter driving it instead.

The only ones to my knowledge that are safe are the banks pedal monster and the pulsar, because the pedal monster powers itself off the obd2 port and the pulsar is in the engine bay, neither use the 5 volt pedal circuit which is where the problem seems to be because that circuit does not provide enough amps to run a device attached to it.

I've not seen a bad report on the banks, the pulsar has some reported problems but those usually are due to bad grounding, not attaching the little strap back correctly.

The last time I mentioned this (and actually its Banks that explains why/how this works) the knives came out so I usually just bite my tongue now.

2021EcoDiesel

Reaction score
Is there a large tuning market for the Hemi? Perhaps a well known shop could do the gasser equivalent of a GDE tune for your Hemi to give you some safer and more reliable "pep in your truck's step?" Still hate to hear of a dead truck in the road situation like yours, and am very glad you handled it safely and that no one was hurt.

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sucks to hear. Many run them with no issues as myself included. As with electronics, it can happen to anyone at anytime. Glad you got it figured out and on your way.

HowDoYouTruck

Reaction score
I'm glad it didn't turn out worse for you.

It's crazy that they would build something that could leave you dead in the middle of the road. That's why I went with the Shiftpower USA unit for my Challenger. Plus, I can tune and lock/unlock my gas pedal with it using the phone app.

skyhawk42

Reaction score
Sucks to hear. Many run them with no issues as myself included. As with electronics, it can happen to anyone at anytime. Glad you got it figured out and on your way.
I was also considering myself one without issues, but like they say” it’s not an issue until it is an issue”. In this case I consider it way to dangerous to use because it can fail at anytime and leave you in a bad situation. I can only imagine if it was anyone else driving my truck what could have happened

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Is there a large tuning market for the Hemi? Perhaps a well known shop could do the gasser equivalent of a GDE tune for your Hemi to give you some safer and more reliable "pep in your truck's step?" Still hate to hear of a dead truck in the road situation like yours, and am very glad you handled it safely and that no one was hurt.
Plenty of tuners for the Hemi.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Many times it's been operator error, but anyways glad nothing bad happened to OP.

You don't get it, you still think it's just random chance or luck that these devices are failing, but it's not.

What part of "the pedal circuit is not designed to run additional powered devices" do you think is operator error? The operator error is installing those devices in the first place.

Nascar Tommy

My other Ram is a Dodge.
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Now imagine this was your wife/girlfriend/daughter driving it instead.

The only ones to my knowledge that are safe are the banks pedal monster and the pulsar, because the pedal monster powers itself off the obd2 port and the pulsar is in the engine bay, neither use the 5 volt pedal circuit which is where the problem seems to be because that circuit does not provide enough amps to run a device attached to it.

I've not seen a bad report on the banks, the pulsar has some reported problems but those usually are due to bad grounding, not attaching the little strap back correctly.

The last time I mentioned this (and actually its Banks that explains why/how this works) the knives came out so I usually just bite my tongue now.
Totally agree!

Users who are viewing this thread