5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Poor seat quality

JohnP

Reaction score
I ordered a new Laramie 3500 Diesel with the tan leather vented seats. After 4 months of use and less than 3500 miles the driver's seat back is ripped. I never carry any tools, etc. in my back pocket, so the rip is from normal entering and exiting the truck. After 35 a minute decision from Chrysler... repair denied. $952.00 to replace. Sad to pay $78,000.00 for a truck and in less than 4 months the seats come apart.

Beware of the new vented seats, very thin and poor quality.

JohnP

Reaction score
They said i must have had something sharp in my pocket, which i explained that i did not. I really do not know what caused it. The only thing i can think of is that the corner of my pants pocket grabbed one of the small holes that are put in the leather for the ventilation and when i got out of the truck it tore from the vent hole??

spinxt

Reaction score
They said i must have had something sharp in my pocket, which i explained that i did not. I really do not know what caused it. The only thing i can think of is that the corner of my pants pocket grabbed one of the small holes that are put in the leather for the ventilation and when i got out of the truck it tore from the vent hole??
A tear isn’t a defect. If you said the leather wore though or split at the seam, that’s a different story. However a tear in the perforated part most likely was from some incident. What’s the difference if it was a sharp object or something that caught on your pants?
trust me I’d be as pissed as you are that it happened, but I just don’t see how that is a defect in manufacturing ?

Goatmann

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What does $952 replace, the entire seat, the bottom part of the seat?

JohnP

Reaction score
I expect a truck to hold up to normal activities (ie. entering and exiting the truck with clothes on) for at least a few years. If a seat is ripped by normal use (no sharp objects in the pocket) IT IS POOR QUALITY OR DEFECTIVE. I guess that is my opinion. It is my understanding that the $952 only covers replacing the leather on the seat back.

spinxt

Reaction score
I expect a truck to hold up to normal activities (ie. entering and exiting the truck with clothes on) for at least a few years. If a seat is ripped by normal use (no sharp objects in the pocket) IT IS POOR QUALITY OR DEFECTIVE. I guess that is my opinion. It is my understanding that the $952 only covers replacing the leather on the seat back.
I know you’re upset man, I would be too, but you’re not going to win the battle. A tear is caused by SOMETHING. It could have happened without you even realizing what caused it.

Goatmann

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Time to take your truck to an upholstery shop. get a quote to repair it If it is repairable. You haven’t shared a photo of the tear, so i am just tossing a suggestion out.

An upholstery shop may also have sourcing options other than the dealer if replacement supersedes a repair

Xhumeka

Reaction score
I completely get what the OP is saying, and it has been a concern with me from the get-go re: perforated THIN leather covering on these vented seats. My 2007 power wagon had my Shepard/collie mix enter the truck by jumping up onto the rear seat from ground level the entire 9 years we owned the truck, and the leather seats have only ONE TINY rip (I’m talking smaller than 1/8th of an inch) from that abuse. The first time i test drove a 2020 I told my wife we are buying SOMETHING to protect the seats because there is no way these will hold up similarly to the leather seats in our 3rd gen and the OP seems to have confirmed this.

JohnP

Reaction score
I went to an upholstery shop and they said that the style/color is not available. Insurance says that seats are not covered unless the damage was caused by an wreck. So, guess I will have to bite the bullet and pay $950 to have seat repaired and spend $850 for some quality seat covers to keep the seats from ripping anywhere else. Only problem is, now the seat covers will block the air from the vented seats...the reason I upgraded to those seats in the first place.
Sorry for the complaining on here...maybe it will be information someone can use when buying a new truck.

Goatmann

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I went to an upholstery shop and they said that the style/color is not available. Insurance says that seats are not covered unless the damage was caused by an wreck. So, guess I will have to bite the bullet and pay $950 to have seat repaired and spend $850 for some quality seat covers to keep the seats from ripping anywhere else. Only problem is, now the seat covers will block the air from the vented seats...the reason I upgraded to those seats in the first place.
Sorry for the complaining on here...maybe it will be information someone can use when buying a new truck.

venting and complaining are not the same, worry not!

so the upholstry shop did not offer their services for repair? or did you not solicit a quote from them? man o'man!

Big White RAM

Reaction score
venting and complaining are not the same, worry not!

so the upholstry shop did not offer their services for repair? or did you not solicit a quote from them? man o'man!
I would look into purchasing the cover from one of the online dealerships to save some $$, then, if your comfortable with replacing it yourself, do that; or take it to the upholstery shop and have them do it. It may work out to be less expensive that way.

wingostar

Reaction score
John, I don't think I would put seat covers on those nice seats. I would be as upset as you but I would first make sure it was not something that you accidentally did, as I have not seen other complaints like this. I have a '19 and have had not problems. Just my 2 cents, big daddy!

JohnP

Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas. The upholstery shop says they will replace the section that was ripped, but the exact match of leather is not available. So, I will see if i can get the cover from an online dealer and have the upholstery shop install, or Dodge, whichever is cheaper.

TVANVA

Reaction score
...and you can get the Katkins with perforated leather so that you retain the seat cooling.

Users who are viewing this thread