5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Poor mpg

Mtsontakis87

Reaction score
So I got my new custom ordered ram 1500 Laramie crew cab with 6’4” bed a few weeks ago.. I love this truck !! But!!!! I am getting **** poor gas mileage ... I am getting around 9 mpg in the city and about 15 on the highway ... and I am driving very conservatively just to see how high I can get my mpg ... is this normal ? Is anyone else having this issue ? What could it be ?

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine started low too. As of yesterday, I'm averaging 15.8. Limited Crew 4x4, non-e-torque, 3.21 gears. 4000 miles Lots of remote starting

Last edited:

Hym8nce

Reaction score
So I have two 1500's one with 3.21 and the other with 3.92 both etorque and the 3.92 gets about 4 MPG better then the 3.21 hwy. I do have a heavy foot plus I enjoy the sound of the borla LOL

gliderpilot

Reaction score
seriously though, the engine and tranny, and also rear end require a break in period, plus on top
of that winter gas lowers your mileage by a noticeable amount.

Be patient, this is a bad time of year to buy a new truck and expect good mileage
right from the beginning.

Last edited:

Ranger482

Reaction score
I'll start checking mileage in the spring. Brutally cold temperatures, thick diff fluids, 4X4 use, lots of remote start and warm up time as well as winter blend fuel all contribute to less than ideal MPG. I've owned truck for 20 years, knew what to expect going in so no issues with seeing less than what was on the window sticker.

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm averaging 15.2 or so MPG after only 500 miles. That's mix of highway and in town driving. Hoping she'll limber up and the MPG will improve. I'd be happy with 17 to 18.

Attachments

• MPG.jpg
    MPG.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 24

cruz-in

Reaction score
Just went on about a 320 mile trip thru rolling hills and suburbs. Probable 20 or so stoplights. Set ACC on about 58. Got 19 MPG.

This week, on my way back and forth to work (all city). I am at 14.7MPG.

Truck has 2000 miles on it. This is a noticeable MPG improvement from when new.

Hoping it continues

kittyjo

Reaction score
I have big horn crew cab four-wheel-drive with 3.21 gears average 15 city 19–20 Highway. Just hit a 3000 miles non e- tourqe

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Guys, pls search the forums and stop creating yet another MPG thread. There's a gazillion of them already, if you take a few seconds to search, you would see this.

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
2000 miles in
3.92 Rebel, no e-torque, no air suspension.
Winter gas, lots of remote starts, idling, I drive it to hear the exhaust.
Almost entirely city, very little highway cruising.

I think that's a fair MPG considering the conditions, and how I'm driving it!
I'm honestly surprised it's not in the 12s.
In my 4th Gen Ram, one that was broken in? Under these same circumstances, winter, new exhaust, city stop and go, I once got 12.2
12.9 was normal at that time. A full MPG better during break in? I'll take it.

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm at 5k miles now or so and get 12-13mpg

with a 3in lift and 35in tires I would have though 9-10mpg!
IMHO you're doing well!

That Borla XR1 probably sounds awesome powering that.

Dontfront82

Reaction score
with a 3in lift and 35in tires I would have though 9-10mpg!
IMHO you're doing well!

That Borla XR1 probably sounds awesome powering that.

Yea after thinking about it it's bad but not too bad lol I drive it aggressively and the Borla does sound bada s s..
My 4th gen got 14-16 mpg on 26s and it was 2wd.. so this 4x4 is about right on mpg

lyonz65

Reaction score
2000 miles in
3.92 Rebel, no e-torque, no air suspension.
Winter gas, lots of remote starts, idling, I drive it to hear the exhaust.
Almost entirely city, very little highway cruising.

I think that's a fair MPG considering the conditions, and how I'm driving it!
I'm honestly surprised it's not in the 12s.
In my 4th Gen Ram, one that was broken in? Under these same circumstances, winter, new exhaust, city stop and go, I once got 12.2
12.9 was normal at that time. A full MPG better during break in? I'll take it.

Sorry I know this is an old thread but i was wondering what you are getting for MPGs now? sounds like i have the same exact truck and your driving habits are about the same and im getting 10.2 MPGs. ive noticed the thing sucks gas when idling after remote start.

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sorry I know this is an old thread but i was wondering what you are getting for MPGs now? sounds like i have the same exact truck and your driving habits are about the same and im getting 10.2 MPGs. ive noticed the thing sucks gas when idling after remote start.

So I still drive it peppy - I haven't looked in a while to be quite honest, I'm going to guess I'm getting 13.8 mpg right now. That's my "city driving, stop and go, ton of stop lights, hills, morons driving 26 in a 40" etc. mpg.

I can say that I had a long highway trip recently, 600ish+ miles, including some around town there.
I went 525miles on 1 tank (33 gallon tank), I had "12 miles" remaining, I suspect I had more.
I drove "Sporty" on the 1st trip, I used cruise control on the way home.

I got 18.8mpg and climbing by trip's end. I suspect It would have been 19+ had I done the cruise control on the way there.
If I remember right I get about 15.7mpg with some mixed driving when the seasons are better, again a rebel with no air suspension, in a region where my fellow motorists don't believe in turn signals!

Note: I run 89 octane or better!
One of the things that calmed me down when my MPG wasn't "Awesome"?
Get a tank of 93, do a highway run, put it in cruise control at like 67, speedlimits and road conditions permitting of course!
Watch your mpg climb.

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
It's a big V8 and a heavy brick being pushed through the air. Expect 15-17 average at best.

Maconi

Reaction score
So I got my new custom ordered ram 1500 Laramie crew cab with 6’4” bed a few weeks ago.. I love this truck !! But!!!! I am getting **** poor gas mileage ... I am getting around 9 mpg in the city and about 15 on the highway ... and I am driving very conservatively just to see how high I can get my mpg ... is this normal ? Is anyone else having this issue ? What could it be ?

Sounds like mine.

20200228_180851.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread