5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Poor gas mileage

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks - yes, the truck just turned 25k miles so it’s still on all factory equipment. 5w20, tires at recommended pressures (maybe a touch high due to warmer temps now).

I’d be perfectly happy if I could do 18 highway, but 16 is a bit of a drag.

I got a friend with a similarly equipped BigHorn, and she was disappointed to recently drop from 20 highway to 18.

Still love the truck - 9/10 things are perfect. This is the last piece ;)
You want 18 out of a rebel? Good luck. That 16 is a day dream, try 14 and call it a reality.
YMMW...

spyder

Reaction score
Your method of division will not provide accurate MPG because the gallon figure in Fuelly includes gas from the last fill-up that was not included in the miles driven. To be accurate you would need to subtract the number of gallons from the last fill-up from the gallons listed. Based on the figures I would guess he might have the 33 gallon tank and last filled up when the low fuel light was on. Fuelly also delays some calculations if you make partial fill-ups.
Makes sense. I've never used fuelly, was just going by the information given.

skidmarc

Reaction score
You want 18 out of a rebel? Good luck. That 16 is a day dream, try 14 and call it a reality.
YMMW...

Yeah, I’ve done it with a few tanks on occasion - most are in 17’s, but lately it’s been pretty bad - for me. Like I said, I’ve always been able to better than EPA estimates.

I actually didn’t want a Rebel but I liked this one with the black interior (and it’s color scheme and options) so I YOLO’d it. Not disappointed about that, just wish the mileage was better. My work situation recently changed and I’ll be driving it a lot more.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, I’ve done it with a few tanks on occasion - most are in 17’s, but lately it’s been pretty bad - for me. Like I said, I’ve always been able to better than EPA estimates.

I actually didn’t want a Rebel but I liked this one with the black interior (and it’s color scheme and options) so I YOLO’d it. Not disappointed about that, just wish the mileage was better. My work situation recently changed and I’ll be driving it a lot more.
Our tires alone probably cost 2 MPG, plus the added ride height.

PetePA

Reaction score
I really don't understand something. So the 22s...

-more wind resistance
-more weight

However they also

-turn faster (circumference) than smaller tires bringing engine RPM down at a given speed

Do they help or hurt mpg?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I really don't understand something. So the 22s...

-more wind resistance
-more weight

However they also

-turn faster (circumference) than smaller tires bringing engine RPM down at a given speed

Do they help or hurt mpg?
The wheels themselves have nothing to do with the circumference for wheel speed. That's all dependant on what size tires you have

PetePA

Reaction score
Yes, the wheels don't matter. It's the tires that make the difference
But naturally you're going to use different tires with different wheels. What property of the tires matters more than circumference? I can only think of weight and texture.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
But naturally you're going to use different tires with different wheels. What property of the tires matters more than circumference? I can only think of weight and texture.
Yes, but you can run the same diameter tire on a 22" wheel as you can on a 20" or 18" wheel. As long as you aren't trying to run 22" diameter tires.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
@HSKR R/T is right. You have not seen the 24s that look like they have rubber bands wrapped around them? I have 35s on 18 inch rims. The rim is kind of irrelevant, to a point.

Users who are viewing this thread