5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Poor fuel mileage after new tires, a flowmaster 40 series exhaust, and a k&n air fliter?

Nels

Reaction score
My experience with my 5.7 hemi was: larger, heavier, more aggressive tires lost 2-3 mpg. Rplaced stock muffler with Flowmaster Flow FX gained back about 1 mpg. Averaging around 17 mpg, although declining recently I believe from switching to winter blend fuels. I have not recalibrated the speedo, but I calculate mpg myself, with an adjuster for tire size.

dog___fighter

Reaction score
I have a 2021 ram 1500 with the 3.6 pentastar V6 E-Torque. I put new tires on which originals were 275-65-R18
I put on 285-65-R18, a new flowmaster 40 series, and a k&n air filter( not cold air intake and cone) and my mileage is like 17.6 now from around 25. Can anyone give me some pointers on If this is causing it or what else I should maybe look into. No warranty anymore so trying to figure it out before paying dealer prices for diagnostics and such.
I have a 3.5” lift with 20x12 in 35x12.50 with a muffler delete and AFE intake and get around 14 mpg

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looking at a slightly different angle, lower restriction intake and exhaust make it possible to burn fuel at a higher rate. At its most basic, that's how you make power, right?

Also, you may have lowered the temperature of both incoming air and outgoing exhaust, and the ECU will trim fuel to compensate.

Users who are viewing this thread