5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Poor fuel mileage after new tires, a flowmaster 40 series exhaust, and a k&n air fliter?

Jermo760

Reaction score
I have a 2021 ram 1500 with the 3.6 pentastar V6 E-Torque. I put new tires on which originals were 275-65-R18
I put on 285-65-R18, a new flowmaster 40 series, and a k&n air filter( not cold air intake and cone) and my mileage is like 17.6 now from around 25. Can anyone give me some pointers on If this is causing it or what else I should maybe look into. No warranty anymore so trying to figure it out before paying dealer prices for diagnostics and such.

JohnGow383

Reaction score
I have a 2021 ram 1500 with the 3.6 pentastar V6 E-Torque. I put new tires on which originals were 275-65-R18
I put on 285-65-R18, a new flowmaster 40 series, and a k&n air filter( not cold air intake and cone) and my mileage is like 17.6 now from around 25. Can anyone give me some pointers on If this is causing it or what else I should maybe look into. No warranty anymore so trying to figure it out before paying dealer prices for diagnostics and such.
If you put bigger tires on then you will be going faster than what the speedo is reading. Did you re-calibrate the speedo? If you didn't then this will also mess with your mpg readout

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The bigger tire, even by just a little bit will have a noticeable effect on your mpg, I did the same on my F150 and lost 1.5 mpg right off the bat. But as mentioned it will effect your speedo. In this case slightly, at 71 mph, your speed will read 70 mph. Only a 1 mph difference at highway speeds based on a 275-65-18 vs 285-65-18.

Factor in a louder exhaust that you will want to push on your accelerator a bit more to hear it, and you got the right ingredients for lower mpg. How you dropped from 25 mpg to 18 mpg is likely a mixture of bigger heavier tires and more aggressive driving to hear your muffler.

Try driving exactly like you did before the mods, and retest your mpg. Your efficiency loss shouldn't be as pronounced as 7 mpg, more like 1-2 mpg based on just the tire.

Last edited:

Jermo760

Reaction score
I don't drive any differently but I have noticed that my RPM's stay higher before it shifts to the next gear. But have no slipping or any noticeable issues driving. I didn't think I would loose 7 mpg cause the change. But no the speedo was not recalibrate to my knowledge.

Jermo760

Reaction score
I don't drive any differently but I have noticed that my RPM's stay higher before it shifts to the next gear. But have no slipping or any noticeable issues driving. I didn't think I would loose 7 mpg cause the change. But no the speedo was not recalibrate to my knowledge.
Recalibrated **

SD Rebel

Reaction score

1 mph difference on the speed calibration isn't going to make a big difference in mpg. When you do your hand calculations, you will see how much fuel you are really using, regardless of speedo calibration.

While tire size makes a difference in mpg, that small difference you made shouldn't do 7 mpg. Your muffler and air filter isn't going to do that either. The only thing it can be, besides and actual mechanical issue or fuel leak is your driving style.

As someone who has always puts on aftermarket exhaust, It's really hard not to push a little harder to hear it. Even subconsciously, you maybe driving just a bit harder to hear the extra noise added to your your truck. Reset and recheck your mpg again. If you confirm it's not your driving style, I would considering speaking with a mechanic and see if something could have happened to lower your mpg.

JohnGow383

Reaction score
Also, the tires are wider, which means more resistance and therefore more fuel. If they have a more agressive tread pattern this will also affect it. In theory, the performance exhaust can give better gas milage as there is more flow and less resistance, but it does have the affect of making the driver drive more agressively which is the biggest way to reduce fuel economy. Basically, everything that is done for fun ruins mpg. But the speedo has not been calibrated so you are probably getting a lot better than what it's reading since your actual distance traveled and speed will be more irl.

JohnGow383

Reaction score
Are you running at the correct tire pressure? The lower the pressure the worse the mpg

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Also, the tires are wider, which means more resistance and therefore more fuel. If they have a more agressive tread pattern this will also affect it. In theory, the performance exhaust can give better gas milage as there is more flow and less resistance, but it does have the affect of making the driver drive more agressively which is the biggest way to reduce fuel economy. Basically, everything that is done for fun ruins mpg. But the speedo has not been calibrated so you are probably getting a lot better than what it's reading since your actual distance traveled and speed will be more irl.

Great point on the tire tread pattern.

His speedo is just a little more than 1% off from stock, the 1 mph (at 70 mph) .5 mph (at 30 mph) is barely above common error, but his mpg loss is over 25%. I'm not sure he will find much improvement with a speed calibration.

JohnGow383

Reaction score
Great point on the tire tread pattern.

His speedo is just a little more than 1% off from stock, the 1 mph (at 70 mph) .5 mph (at 30 mph) is barely above common error, but his mpg loss is over 25%. I'm not sure he will find much improvement with a speed calibration.
I guess he's not gone up to 35s so it won't be that much then. I do think it's a combination of all these things mentioned, and the tire is probably a little heavier which also has a small impact.

Dewey

Reaction score
That’s a very small difference in tire size.
DC60A7A2-32AB-4700-A54D-D0784D2D9C36.jpeg

Also exhaust and air filter will not hurt your mpg. If anything it would be slightly better. Gotta be something else going on. That’s a real drastic mpg change.

JohnGow383

Reaction score
That’s a very small difference in tire size.
View attachment 141539

Also exhaust and air filter will not hurt your mpg. If anything it would be slightly better. Gotta be something else going on. That’s a real drastic mpg change.
Oh I see.
Yeah when setting the tire size it's important to use the revs per mile number into 63360 to get the correct rolling circumference.
I wonder what pressure he's running them at.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
If they are a heavier rated tire, aggressive tread pattern, or wrong air pressure it will make mpg drop.

Also when installing a muffler mpg does decrease because you tend to be a littler more heavy footed to hear it. And don’t notice you’re doing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jermo760

Reaction score
Oh I see.
Yeah when setting the tire size it's important to use the revs per mile number into 63360 to get the correct rolling circumference.
I wonder what pressure he's running them at.
Tires are at 40 cold psi usually runs about 45 all around. I don't do anything crazy. Don't tow much at all. It's just my daily driver.

Jermo760

Reaction score
If they are a heavier rated tire, aggressive tread pattern, or wrong air pressure it will make mpg drop.

Also when installing a muffler mpg does decrease because you tend to be a littler more heavy footed to hear it. And don’t notice you’re doing it.

With everybody talking about being heavier footed to hear the exhaust I'm gonna be clear. Yes people suck at driving and there are times I have to get up and go around them or leave a lane and be at speed for traffic flow. But even when I am driving a long distance (200miles or more) and I have cruise control set I'm only getting 18 or so. And for the 3.6 V6 I know it isn't horrible but a run from Atlanta to Nashville NEVER ( even with traffic) took a full half tank. Now it's like a half tank easily.

n8zcc

Reaction score
I put on 285-65-R18, a new flowmaster 40 series, and a k&n air filter( not cold air intake and cone) and my mileage is like 17.6 now from around 25. Can anyone give me some pointers on If this is causing it or what else I should maybe look into.
The likely loss of MPGs is the sum of all points posted plus new tires offer a resistance to roll until they are broken in, about 500 miles or so.

JRW323

Reaction score
Are the new tires LT? Because tire weight from standard load to LT is pretty significant.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
How many miles have you driven since the change?

What is the exact tire you are running now?

Get the computer adjusted for the new tire size to get a true comparison.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
With everybody talking about being heavier footed to hear the exhaust I'm gonna be clear. Yes people suck at driving and there are times I have to get up and go around them or leave a lane and be at speed for traffic flow. But even when I am driving a long distance (200miles or more) and I have cruise control set I'm only getting 18 or so. And for the 3.6 V6 I know it isn't horrible but a run from Atlanta to Nashville NEVER ( even with traffic) took a full half tank. Now it's like a half tank easily.

Why aren’t you talking about the actual tire you put on or the pressures you’re running?

Users who are viewing this thread