5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Poor Backup Camera Quality

Toby J

Reaction score
Just picked up my 2020 limited and noticed that the camera quality is really poor at night. My 2014 ram camera quality is better than this. Do I have a problem here or is this they way everyone else’s look at night?
079AEF4C-903A-4870-A34E-28EF890AB749.jpeg

Attachments

• 9BC7D367-00B8-4684-AEA3-7A4A0FB1087F.jpeg
    9BC7D367-00B8-4684-AEA3-7A4A0FB1087F.jpeg
    214.8 KB · Views: 39

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just picked up my 2020 limited and noticed that the camera quality is really poor at night. My 2014 ram camera quality is better than this. Do I have a problem here or is this they way everyone else’s look at night?
View attachment 38766

That looks far noisier than mine. I'd bet you have some issue with the camera or a connection.

Before you go to the dealer, maybe try disconnecting the wiring at the bottom of the tailgate, clean/straighten anything the bedliner guys might have done and reconnect. Might save you a trip.

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
If that pic is an accurate one then I definitely say you have a problem and need the dealer to fix. These cameras are very high quality but have poor lux and suffer at night. Many here have added rear lighting to compensate. You should expect to see a clear but darkened picture out night but not all grainy like that! Keep us posted.

AbitaPro

Reaction score
I made a video and photos of a 2021 & 2019 with a good Backup Camera picture quality at night, both were my son’s trucks and mine poor/snowy picture quality.

Ram said they were getting reports of bad backup cameras, but didn’t know what the problem was. And they appreciated the video and photo comparisons. My camera replacement was supposed to arrive by March 22, 2021. It arrived early and was installed today.

Looks just as bad as original camera they replaced!

So Ram replaced one defective camera with another defective camera!

And to top that off, I had the dealer switch wheels, tires and sensors, putting my original wheels back on. Guess what they don’t know how to balance a tire!!

Made two trips each 62 miles, and they tried twice, can’t balance and charged almost $200. The same tires balanced by another Ram dealer who charged $60 less, and was only a 10 mile round trip, drove over on those same tires, at any speeds, smooth as butter! Their Technician certainly tried his best, not sure if it was the machine or a lack of training, or the weights they use, or a combination of all the above.

What a Bummer of a Day! Just wasted......

Last edited:

AbitaPro

Reaction score
Limited or Laramie Owners with 12.1 display and “Surround View Camera.”

Do you have a crystal clear backup camera view at night in total darkness?

Seems Ram has an issue with low light lux on these cameras (specifically) and the view comes across as snowy!

2 Limiteds and both the same issue!

Top Photo Limited with Surround View
Bottom Photo Laramie with 12.1 Display No Surround View
3C991CA4-EB4D-4EDE-8E13-43F59826EA84.jpeg

4C5204F1-142E-4FDE-A9DF-A4CA2C403788.jpeg

3 Laramies with 8.4 & 12.1 without Surround View, No Problems. As sharp and crystal clear as daylight, at night even in total darkness.

The (low-light)cameras used on the trucks without Surround View work correctly and are crystal clear. Both photos taken same location moments apart different vehicles. None had any additional lighting, other than factory.
Ram’s premium system has a deficiency.

Earlzie

Reaction score
Just traded my 2015 in for 2021 limited and my 2015 sport camera is so much better than the 2021 camera. It’s sad actually

jyones12

Reaction score
Limited or Laramie Owners with 12.1 display and “Surround View Camera.”

Do you have a crystal clear backup camera view at night in total darkness?

Seems Ram has an issue with low light lux on these cameras (specifically) and the view comes across as snowy!

2 Limiteds and both the same issue!

Top Photo Limited with Surround View
Bottom Photo Laramie with 12.1 Display No Surround View
3C991CA4-EB4D-4EDE-8E13-43F59826EA84.jpeg

4C5204F1-142E-4FDE-A9DF-A4CA2C403788.jpeg

3 Laramies with 8.4 & 12.1 without Surround View, No Problems. As sharp and crystal clear as daylight, at night even in total darkness.

The (low-light)cameras used on the trucks without Surround View work correctly and are crystal clear. Both photos taken same location moments apart different vehicles. None had any additional lighting, other than factory.
Ram’s premium system has a deficiency.
Any update to this? I just picked up a 2019 Laramie with surround view camera and the camera is fuzzy in day or night.

My last truck was a 2019 big horn and the quality was perfect.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My BigHorn is grainy and has scan noise. Previous vehicle had no camera at all, so from that angle it's a big improvement. But I think basically these are cheap peephole cameras, so don't expect a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread